G3 splitboard skins

Dec. 16, 2012, 10:30 a.m.

Any one else running these? I switched from Voile skins to these and have been less than impressed.

They Climb almost as good as the tractor skins but have way less glide. But the big problem is snow building up between the skin and the base of my board.Sometimes it gets so bad the skin starts to shift around.

I noticed that where I trimmed the skin the glue is less tacky where the trim tool slid down. It seems as though that is where the issue starts. Did I trim them wrong? Is there any thing I can do to fix this?

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Dec. 16, 2012, 11:12 a.m.

I never noticed that, the trim tool IS a no brainer but I find using an olfa box cutter gives a smoother cut and I just shift the skin for the second cut

my buddy tells me he digs the G3 tail clip for his splitty?

Dec. 16, 2012, 12:11 p.m.

My main touring partner runs those and says the same thing, likes the tail clips but he's having problems with snow building up underneath.

He was telling me about these:

www.geckoclimbingskins.com

Seems like a pretty great option getting rave reviews

Dec. 16, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

all the glue fucked up on my alpinists in [HTML_REMOVED] one season G3 sent me a new set but I haven't cut them [HTML_REMOVED] I don't know if or when I will cuz I just got the the full Dynafit setup …the skins are nice

edit: I mean to say they get bad batches of glue so if you are not happy return them and G3 is usually good with that

Dec. 16, 2012, 4:41 p.m.

I'll look into this next time Im out

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 23, 2012, 3:40 p.m.

I didn't know that about G3skins, so I just re-glued them myself with Mec glue after the first season.

Dec. 24, 2012, 7:40 a.m.

I didn't know that about G3skins, so I just re-glued them myself with Mec glue after the first season.

Not sure if its just the split skins or not. Maybe just unlucky on my part. I read great reviews on them so figured I would try them out. I am planning on returning them seeing if I can try another pair when I have time. For now Im back on old faithful tractor skins.

Dec. 26, 2012, 3:41 p.m.

Update. Went out on a brand new set of replaced g3 split skins today. Long story short they were worse than my first pair. Maybe some people have had success with these but I sure have not.

Dec. 26, 2012, 3:48 p.m.

Update. Went out on a brand new set of replaced g3 split skins today. Long story short they were worse than my first pair. Maybe some people have had success with these but I sure have not.

That sucks, never had issues ever with alpinist skins, new or usually have several pairs that are 2-3 seasons old that I use occasionally and never do any maintenance on them and never had a problem…I do know of a guy who got new split skins and had a little glue stick to his board as he was trying them on inside his house but he left them on over night in really warm temps…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Jan. 3, 2013, 4:17 p.m.

When we tour, there is "the line" and the much more mellow "the line for people with G3 skins". That is all.

www.northshorebillet.com

Jan. 4, 2013, 9:41 a.m.

I'm not too pleased with my Prior branded G3 skins either. i can't follow the guy with the tractor skins on the steeper skin tracks he lays down. I tend to get a bit of snow build up along the edges as well. I just got some glue, so i'll do a glue touch up and see if that helps that problem.

Jan. 4, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

I retro fitted the spark tail clips on my BD Ascension skins (Voile). they work well.

my 2c about what i have seen on the duffy, coasties dont know how to set skin tracks. way too steep. if your heart rate is jacked trying to struggle up, your doing it wrong.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 4, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

The glue on G3s isn't that great. I've had a problem with snow build-up under the front of my skins since I got them last season. The good news might be that it hasn't got any worse. I stick them in my jacket for the ride down, and that helps the problem from getting out of control. You can also buy replacement glue, but I couldn't tell you what to buy.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Jan. 4, 2013, 2:51 p.m.

I noticed that where I trimmed the skin the glue is less tacky where the trim tool slid down. It seems as though that is where the issue starts. Did I trim them wrong?

The trim tool is neat, but messing up the glue at the edge while making the cut is its weakness, I think. I think it would work better if you could just remove enough backing paper in the middle of the skin to keep it attached to the ski, but with strips of paper on either side to let the tool slide easily between the skin and the base while trimming rather than having to drag it though the glue.

That being said, I have three pairs of G3 skins (one set of originals trimmed the old school way and two of Alpinists trimmed with the tool) and I've never felt they were any less effective (traction or glue wise) than the purple Ascensions or blue cowskin BD Glidelites I used to have.

Jan. 4, 2013, 3:51 p.m.

I retro fitted the spark tail clips on my BD Ascension skins (Voile). they work well.

my 2c about what i have seen on the duffy, coasties dont know how to set skin tracks. way too steep. if your heart rate is jacked trying to struggle up, your doing it wrong.

My $0.02 is that a steeper skin track is better. Less meandering, more vertical traveled in less distance (ie: faster up), and less of the run ruined by a skin track (as many of the places I like to tour require you to come down the run you've skinned up.

My $0.02 as far as skins go is that I don't have any experience with the G3 stuff, but your guys' feedback is shying me away. I have a K2 Panoramic splitboard with the K2/Pomoca skins (proprietary tip/tail clips). The system works extraoddinarliy well, except for the tip, where snow has a tendency to get underneath the skin on the edges. Because the skin only attaches in one central point at the tip, I suspect this is why snow is getting under the edges