G3 AT Binding

Jan. 16, 2009, 3:43 p.m.

the ability to move it to other skis

what do you mean?

the way you can go from tour to ski and back without removing the ski

as long as both my poles aren't broken, I can do that with my dynafits

while dynafits are a great of example of thinking outside the box, and have really added to the what was (and is) available, I don't see any notable improvements in the G3 design - certainly none that warrant all the extra bits and weight…I mean yay, the guy designed a binding and I'm happy for him, it just looks a bit immature for release…maybe I'm wrong, in which case their marketing team sucks

Jan. 16, 2009, 4:50 p.m.

I was completely blown away at all the negative comments post here and especially teton gravity. It really reminded me how there are two distinct types of people. Ones that live with negatively in their veins and everything is never good enough, especially for them. It is no wonder they struggle and are always pissed off. I live on a completely different level. One guy said it best. All this arm chair quarterbacking on a binding no one except a few g3 guys have skied on..

Come on, Dave. Are all the negative comments really that surprising?!?! Be realistic. Part of our jobs as consumers is to be critical of the products that companies sell. Part of your job as a G3 sponsored athlete is to blow smoke up everyones ass about G3 products.

That being said, I would like to know if G3 will be having some demo days on the North Shore/Whistler anytime soon??? I'd like to try the Onyx out…

Going up is just as good as going down…almost

Jan. 16, 2009, 4:58 p.m.

the onyx uses a base plate mounting system ,you can move the binding easily to any ski with a base plate instaled on it real quick if you watch their vid

Say you own 3 pair of skis which is not unheard of ,so you buy one onyx , 2 extra base plates and if AT bindings are 500$ you saved 1000$ on bindings

AND the more skis you buy … the more $ you save !

Jan. 19, 2009, 8:50 a.m.

I took a closer look at these bindings and am now a semi-believer. I would really like to try out a set.

Dave, if I were G3, I wouldn

Jan. 19, 2009, 10:17 a.m.

Not alot of smoke , G3 is only a bronze sponsor and the internet is a cruel place ,just like the original forum back in roman times

22designs do a beta testing program ,they make 200 bindings for testing ,sell them to users at full price and wait for stuff to break .

End user does get an upgraded binding but 22 designs gets to see what happens in the real world .

April 23, 2009, 2:31 a.m.

Can anyone tell me why the heel, while in ski-mode, doesn't step down on the binding plate of the heel unit, but is rests elevated just on the pins?

So the forces are transmitted just via the pins!? Is it just for ramp angle?

April 23, 2009, 7:16 a.m.

Can anyone tell me why the heel, while in ski-mode, doesn't step down on the binding plate of the heel unit, but is rests elevated just on the pins?

So the forces are transmitted just via the pins!? Is it just for ramp angle?

There'll be a brake and a plate for the brake so there has to be space there. The heel will rest of the brake plate.

Dynafit setups also just rest of the pins. Its quite a strong system. Having said that, some people have broken pins.

I don't think its for ramp angle since the G3 has neutral ramp angle

April 23, 2009, 11:09 p.m.

There'll be a brake and a plate for the brake so there has to be space there. The heel will rest of the brake plate.

Dynafit setups also just rest of the pins. Its quite a strong system. Having said that, some people have broken pins.

I don't think its for ramp angle since the G3 has neutral ramp angle

I've heard it's more common to break the boot then to break the pins… no?

I could be completely wrong here…

April 24, 2009, 10:12 a.m.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/dynafit_faq/dynafit_faq1.html#general

everything you wanted to know about dynafit

April 29, 2009, 2:41 p.m.

http://www.wildsnow.com/1811/g3-onyx-backcountry-skiing-binding-review/

Lou gets his own pair and does a mount, an indepth test should follow sometime soon

sounds like they are still working on the brakes