Free Helicopter Rides

Jan. 3, 2017, 1:21 p.m.

Airlifted out.

From this video, it looks like they skied/hiked out once NSR was dropped off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x-Ye4fCQSc
From NSNews article:

Unfortunately, some other lost skiers or hikers had already been to the cache and helped themselves to some of the supplies that would have kept the subjects a bit more comfortable. There was still a blanket for them to stay warm, and the couple was airlifted out on New Year's Day.

Whoever took the old supplies should have let the team know, though, Danks added.

Super lame for someone to use the cache and not report it, even anonymously. Even worse, whoever was actively stealing from them a year or so ago.

Jan. 3, 2017, 1:57 p.m.

Alec Ritchie from NSR will be doing a backcountry introduction at the library. These are always really fun to attend. Just to hear all the stories and get some insight into the organization.

http://www.nvcl.ca/calendar?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D121683868

Jan. 3, 2017, 2:13 p.m.

some phones are super shitty in the cold, iphones in particulr. At -5 or so mine shuts down. Otherwise itd be sweet for skiing trees and spotting glades below. But anyway, yeah theyre clueless or made some really bad decisions..

there is a web site where you can type in your I-phone SN and it tells you if the battery is in a recall for shitty I-phone batteries

Jan. 3, 2017, 2:17 p.m.

there is a web site where you can type in your I-phone SN and it tells you if the battery is in a recall for shitty I-phone batteries

Had I've known:hurt:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 3, 2017, 5:05 p.m.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

found it

Jan. 4, 2017, 10:04 a.m.

Alec Ritchie from NSR will be doing a backcountry introduction at the library. These are always really fun to attend. Just to hear all the stories and get some insight into the organization.

http://www.nvcl.ca/calendar?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D121683868

Event is full. Great to see

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 4, 2017, 6:32 p.m.

i went out for a little tour today out the hsct and on my way out i was surprised to see a couple of unprepared hikers heading north considering the death of those two snowshoers last week. they were wearing lightweight shells, no packs with extra gear and no snowshoes - just hiking boots. i passed them on my way out at 2:35pm right at christmas gulley so said hello and asked them where they were headed and they said they were hoping to make it out to st mark's summit! i told that's not such a good idea as they might get there before they lose the light but they be spending the night on the mountain if they do go. i suggested they might want to consider turning back now or in the in the next 15-20 minutes at the very most. it was so surprising to see people who really had no idea that they were in a position to spend the night on the mountain and probably die considering the temps will probably be about -12 up there tonight and they were dressed for going grocery shopping in the city. just no clue at all what they were about to get into.

i made a point of calling nsr and the west van police and suggesting it might be a good idea to maybe send a couple people on snowshoes with gear up the trail to meet this couple as they will probably be hiking out in the dark and depending where they are could easily lose the trail.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 4, 2017, 6:42 p.m.

i went out for a little tour today out the hsct and on my way out i was surprised to see a couple of unprepared hikers heading north considering the death of those two snowshoers last week. they were wearing lightweight shells, no packs with extra gear and no snowshoes - just hiking boots. i passed them on my way out at 2:35pm right at christmas gulley so said hello and asked them where they were headed and they said they were hoping to make it out to st mark's summit! i told that's not such a good idea as they might get there before they lose the light but they be spending the night on the mountain if they do go. i suggested they might want to consider turning back now or in the in the next 15-20 minutes at the very most. it was so surprising to see people who really had no idea that they were in a position to spend the night on the mountain and probably die considering the temps will probably be about -12 up there tonight and they were dressed for going grocery shopping in the city. just no clue at all what they were about to get into.

i made a point of calling nsr and the west van police and suggesting it might be a good idea to maybe send a couple people on snowshoes with gear up the trail to meet this couple as they will probably be hiking out in the dark and depending where they are could easily lose the trail.

I hope they turned around.
Will keep an eye on NSR twitter this eve.
Nice work with the phone call. So what is the remedy for these people? Maybe signage with big bold warnings? Reminds me of that British guy who went missing a couple years back. Warned not to go up thru Hanes with 2 hours of light left. We all know how that turned out.

Jan. 4, 2017, 8:43 p.m.

JEBUS! Good move putting the call in and trying to convince them to turn around. They may have kept walking when you saw them but I bet that your warnings were considered more and more with each step. I bet they turned around as a result of what you said - a normal person would anyways.

Feb. 6, 2017, 9:12 a.m.

This last weekend the North Shore BC was pretty good. The new snow on top of the bulletproof layer was in our opinion a bit of a concern, so decided to keep it to more mellow terrain. Triggered off 3 pretty good 20/25cm slabs on first lap on the east side of Hollyburn. Play smart out there guys.

March 9, 2017, 8:46 a.m.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/samaritans-save-skier-from-avalanche-1.11199439

good job by at least one NSMBer !

Link doesnt work you will have to do it yourself

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 9, 2017, 8:48 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 10, 2017, 7:23 a.m.

This was a bummer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lions-bay-search-resumes-hikers-found-and-recovered-1.4062976

Dunno how many times I have seen snowshoe tracks out on a rolling convex slope with nothing but death below. Especially West side of Seymour. Knew this would happen eventually.

Last edited by: bux-bux on April 10, 2017, 7:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 6, 2017, 7:40 a.m.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/search-for-hiker-missing-in-grouse-mountain-area-enters-third-day-1.3664465

Seems every fall Hanes Valley claims a life.  I Have run/hiked that route so many times, it is so nasty once you get into the Valley itself. Couldn't imagine acending or decending that scree slope in fall with just a light coating of snow on it. Sounds like the guy in the link above went into the BC via the top of Grouse, not many routes to take back there, lots of nasty cliff sections. Really sad

From having a look online looks like no one ever found those 2 snowshoers remains on Cypress this summer?