Free Helicopter Rides

Dec. 28, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

Id volunteer but Im more likely to aggravate the problem and require rescue myself than help!

I checked out the volunteering process and it seems, and it makes perfect sense, you should have experience mountaineering!

Not really needed, any type of experience is good. You do need some sort of outdoor experience. The biggest and hardest thing is the time commitment. NSR volunteers give a lot if not all of their spare time.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Dec. 29, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

Just another day at the office. I heard they were focusing around Yew Lake. If they tried to walk downhill from there it gets pretty gnarly fast but if they had gone up they might have been ok.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Yew+Lake/@49.3963994,-123.2125657,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x5486692edfef10dd:0x46bc920de5a5151c!8m2!3d49.3991404!4d-123.2118657

https://vimeo.com/197425826

Dec. 29, 2016, 4:04 p.m.

Maybe they never left their car?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 29, 2016, 8:40 p.m.

considering these guys are now spending their 5th night on the mountain it doesn't look good even if they were well prepared with extra clothing [HTML_REMOVED] food/water. hopefully they found a good spot to bunker down in and are huddled together to stay warm and awaiting a rescue.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 29, 2016, 9:35 p.m.

I saw on FB that conditions are so sketchy that a team from Lion's Bay SAR had to bivy last night because they didn't want to risk travelling through avy terrain, and the heli couldn't long line extract them until this morning.

Dec. 29, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

Cypress was getting hammered with snow most of the day. Sky didn't open, but inbound trees were excellent till the crowds showed up around noon - time to go home!

Dec. 29, 2016, 10:44 p.m.

Not really needed, any type of experience is good. You do need some sort of outdoor experience. The biggest and hardest thing is the time commitment. NSR volunteers give a lot if not all of their spare time.

^^What he said.

-Ryan

Dec. 30, 2016, 8:14 a.m.

^^What he said.

-Ryan

To be a NSSR member. On call 24/7 have to have a magical job that you can walk away from everytime you are called. Would love to do it but no way can I do that in my industry. Should be rolled into the fire dept with full time paid members. For the amount of tourist revenue this province makes, the govt gets away with murder on this.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 30, 2016, 8:25 a.m.

Not really needed, any type of experience is good. You do need some sort of outdoor experience. .

what is "some" ?

The north shore is "the mountains" where it can snow any time of year, people get lost up there in summer and have a very uncomfortable time, but now its fucking cold, there is 140cms in the last week at cypress on a huge base, all in steep and complex terrain so travel in the BC would be tough for an experianced out door person let alone someone without good skills … you need actual BC skiers and climbers

I've seen Voly SAR who simpley lacked the skills or conditioning to get up a mountain

edit: In the national parks Banff/Jasper they have dedicated rangers and staff, fit people with training up the yingyang to deal with SAR and given the SAR traffic on the NS I think the area needs a dedicated SAR … as opposed to charging money or leaving them out there till spring

Dec. 30, 2016, 10:47 a.m.

I can see how availability can be a problem but I would also expect that their pool of volunteers would be way more than the 20 that are active now…so 100% coverage of searches is probably not realistic.

Im going to call and check. Looking for a way to contribute to the community here.

Dec. 30, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

I can see how availability can be a problem but I would also expect that their pool of volunteers would be way more than the 20 that are active now…so 100% coverage of searches is probably not realistic.

Im going to call and check. Looking for a way to contribute to the community here.

http://www.northshorerescue.com

Approx 40 volunteers.

The best way you can help is financially, unless you are 100% committed to hike the forest in the middle of the night on a workday three night per week and spend most weekends training if you're not searching.

I used to have two friends who joined SAR…

Dec. 30, 2016, 5 p.m.

When I say any type of outdoor experience, I mean serious experience, not just the average joe… but you dont need to have gone on Denali either. The biggest challenge is time commitment for most people that can/would like to help. btw you can do other things for the nsr, it's not just rescue.

what is "some" ?

The north shore is "the mountains" where it can snow any time of year, people get lost up there in summer and have a very uncomfortable time, but now its fucking cold, there is 140cms in the last week at cypress on a huge base, all in steep and complex terrain so travel in the BC would be tough for an experianced out door person let alone someone without good skills … you need actual BC skiers and climbers

I've seen Voly SAR who simpley lacked the skills or conditioning to get up a mountain

edit: In the national parks Banff/Jasper they have dedicated rangers and staff, fit people with training up the yingyang to deal with SAR and given the SAR traffic on the NS I think the area needs a dedicated SAR … as opposed to charging money or leaving them out there till spring

Dec. 30, 2016, 5:11 p.m.

The reason time commitment is a big thing is trust. You can be perfectly experienced but if you dont fit with the team it wont work. Again you can do other things, just call them. I do agree it should be part of FD on the shore and get provincial money to support them. Tourism brings in lots of $$$

Dec. 30, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

When I say any type of outdoor experience, I mean serious experience, not just the average joe… but you dont need to have gone on Denali either. The biggest challenge is time commitment for most people that can/would like to help. btw you can do other things for the nsr, it's not just rescue.

Well exactly its serious shit on the NS everything falls away into steep gulleys which is why people are getting into trouble and need a rescue

I believe the NS SAR are cut above alot of voly SARs and they need to be because of where they are and the number of calls they do but its not like that everywhere in the province

5 days now and its night, sounds like the search is suspended until they get any other info … sucks

Dec. 30, 2016, 5:34 p.m.

These amigos make a huge sacrifice. Shall raise a drink and cheers them for their efforts this eve.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch