Dec. 7, 2015, 9:14 p.m.

https://www.wildsnow.com/18920/arcteryx-procline-voltair-boot-airbag/

Dec. 7, 2015, 9:41 p.m.

Hipsterslippers

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 7, 2015, 10:01 p.m.

you are probably too fat to wear these cool shoes

Dec. 8, 2015, 4:23 p.m.

Bag is of more interest. Perfect for the shredder who doesn't let one slide ruin their session.

$1700 USD for the 30L bag.

From what I've read most avi bag fatalities have been from the user not wearing the crotch strap.

Is there any balloons on the market that inflate two or three isolated chambers?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 9, 2015, 10:58 a.m.

if you need to pull your airbag more than once on the same trip you should rethink your hobby

Dec. 9, 2015, 11:34 a.m.

airbag are very tempting but I m afraid that it might push you to take more risks than without it.
Remember that 30% of avy fatalities arises before even being buried.
Heavy snow will crush you, the sluff can take you over a cliff or you can hit a tree etc etc.
The boots looks cool for mountaineering but likely way too soft for aggressive skiing…

Dec. 9, 2015, 2:23 p.m.

if you need to pull your airbag more than once on the same trip you should rethink your hobby

This. Can't imagine getting caught and pulling it, getting rescued then continuing to ski that day other than getting the F back to the car.

$1,700USD is a lot, wow. For the amount of touring I do and my risk profile I am going to wait for the tech to mature a bit, but I do want one of these eventually.

I think most people who do a little reading and thinking realize these are not a get out of jail free card (although I have a few friends that did think that way initially). Especially when skiing places that are not smooth alpine featureless run-outs.

Dec. 9, 2015, 4:27 p.m.

Yeah I like way stiffer AT boots, I was on the Mercury now on the Vulcan which weigh 1400ish grams in my size, while these new shoes are closer to 1000grams, they will compete in the light and fast touring category being the TLT5/TLT6/Backland/Dynafit PDG/Scarpa Alien, none of which even fit in anything but a tech binding. I pointed out to a new BC ski bud that if he bought the backland it would not fit in his frame AT setup AND sure enough his tech binding broke so he can't ski any of his new kit … buddy is back on his heavy AT setup

yup, we ski below tree line alot so trauma from trees is a much bigger problem this side of the pond than in Yurp and we lost a bud in a minor aviy who got swept over a cliff … not pretty

Dec. 9, 2015, 5:45 p.m.

a friend was quite stoked about his airbag until, after the first season of use he decided to do a test deploy in the front yard in the late fall and realised he'd been dropping in with something hooked up wrong the previous year and it wouldn't have ever deployed if he needed it. I can count a couple of times where he probably took some risks because he thought he had it in the bag.

ya it's probably a good idea to read the instructions

Dec. 9, 2015, 6:40 p.m.

. I can count a couple of times where he probably took some risks because he thought he had it in the bag.

Interesting, are riders taking mo risk because they think the bag has their back ?

Not just the instructions cuz really an aviy bag is like a aviy shovel or beacon in that you don't want to NEED to use them, so if buddy's ego is writing the cheques cuz he thinks his aviy bag will cash them … what does that mean?

Dec. 9, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

My abs bag hasn't caused me to take any more chances than before.

Good tool if you don't mind the weight

And I blow it off every year and repack and get a fresh cartridge and handle I think it's 30 bucks but I haven't been charged for it yet

Dec. 11, 2015, 3:01 p.m.

https://www.wildsnow.com/18947/arcteryx-procline-ski-climb-boot-review/#more-18947

"Thus, the Arcteryx boot designers applied the time honored principle of reverse thinking: If you can’t make a climbing boot that’s a ski boot, how about a ski boot that is a climbing boot?"

more beta ^^ on these shoes, a ski boot that climbs is not really my cup of tea but I can imagine they will hit a niche that no other bootmaker has and sell assloads of this boot?

Dec. 11, 2015, 6:48 p.m.

Interesting, are riders taking mo risk because they think the bag has their back ?

Not just the instructions cuz really an aviy bag is like a aviy shovel or beacon in that you don't want to NEED to use them, so if buddy's ego is writing the cheques cuz he thinks his aviy bag will cash them … what does that mean?

Saw a video recently of a fellow being swept up in a slide on his sled. His buddies find him because is near surface. You can see the air bag pull handle but no air bag deployed. You can't count on being able to deploy the thing because slides can hit faster than you can think.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 13, 2015, 5:59 a.m.

Havent really seen much of these boots but the first runs of hiking boots had a ton of warranty issues. Like many things, its probably best to let more eager consumers wrap up the testing

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 13, 2015, 1:24 p.m.

Whenever I read A'T coverage that talks about their desire to excel in niche markets, this always comes to mind:

Hopefully the market for ski boots that climb well is bigger than the market for "technical" scarves was.