Expen$ive $ki Pa$$

Nov. 6, 2008, 9:08 a.m.

I have personally witnessed MattJ's wife pour 5 liters of used engine oil into the pristine wilderness of the ssc.

he is a hater of the environment

MattJ was the captain of the exxon valdez

meh

Nov. 6, 2008, 9:44 a.m.

I have personally witnessed MattJ's wife pour 5 liters of used engine oil into the pristine wilderness of the ssc.

he is a hater of the environment

Followed by a litre of wifey tears to wash it out into the ocean. :shhh:

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 6, 2008, 10:38 a.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2052564]Followed by a litre of wifey tears to wash it out into the ocean. :shhh:[/QUOTE]

why was she crying? did mattj hit her?

MattJ beats his wife!!!

meh

Nov. 6, 2008, 11:37 a.m.

He loves that car more than meeeeee!!!!! :(

Nov. 6, 2008, 12:42 p.m.

LOL, funny thread. Just in case someone is still feeling smug about how carbon-neutral they are, we North Americans suck basically. Euros are only slightly better. Sure, you can ride your bike everywhere but you rely on the same economic infrastructure that we all do and thats where the majority of our collective carbon footprint is derived.

I'd ride an electic sled, in fact it seems like a good application given the kind of torque an electric motor makes, no?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 6, 2008, 5:20 p.m.

^norrona can barely get his electric dirt bike company off the ground an now you want him to dive into sleds?

but seriously where will the electricity for an electric sled come from….

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 6, 2008, 5:25 p.m.

this ship just sunk and I know for a fact that one of the marketing guys is looking for a new job. I could point norona at him ;)

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Nov. 6, 2008, 5:29 p.m.

but seriously where will the electricity for an electric sled come from….

duh!

meh

Nov. 6, 2008, 7:46 p.m.

duh!

no, from here:

if you have snow you have water, pretty simple.

i remember seeing an add of an american car producer where they had H2O on the car written and the add tried to make you believe you could hook up your car to your water hose in the front yard on day.

that's how much people know / understand about energy.

:germany: http://oppelshausen.de

Nov. 6, 2008, 10:21 p.m.

good and interesting topic here… too bad it degenerates so fast when people communicate through an internet bb forum… i like to pedal my bike, shuttle with my bike, ski tour, windsurf, sled and sled ski and am concious of my impact on the environment so i thought i'd actually figure out how these activities compare based on a few recent trips.

All i considered in my simplistic comparison was fuel consumption but at least its a start and i'm guessing a big part of the overall carbon footprint from these activities. here's how things stacked up per person and per day of activity:

4 day trip to interior to ski tour - 4 peps in one vehicle + one heli access ride in/out = 240L of gas + approx 85L of jet fuel = approx 20 Litres of fuel per day per person.

1 day trip to pemby to shuttle bikes - 1 vehicle carried 6 bikes and 6 people but requires a second to reset = approx 24 litres of fuel per day per person.

day trip to whis to resort ski (or ride bike park) - 2 people in car (not SUV) = 12.5 litre of fuel per day per person (ignoring fuel used in resort operations)

day trip to sled ski in sea to sky area - 2 people in one vehicle, one sled = 42.5L of fuel + 3L oil (2 stroke sled) = 45 litres of fuel = 22.5 litres per person per day

3 day trip to nitnat to windsurf - 2 people + 1 dog in one vehicle loaded with gear = 90L of fuel = 15 litres of fuel per person per day (0 for dog :o)

1 day trip to ski tour off sled in ski to sky area = 25 litres of fuel burned if just one skier, 12.5 litres of fuel per person if two skiers.

1 day pure sledding in sea to sky area = 42.5L of fuel + 4 litres oil = 46.5L of fuel per person per day.

i don't moto but i've been told that a full tank of 7 litres lasts 100km or a full day per person.

i was surprised that all these activities consumed relatively similar amounts of fuel. but not surprised that the pure sled day is the highest (i thought it would be way higher) every single one of these activities polluted into the environment and in wilderness areas.

While many people claim that they wouldn't own a sled, presumably due to perceived environmental reasons, i'm relatively sure they wouldn't think twice about say, taking a trip to australia. i'm no eco-footprint expert but to put these figures into perspective, a 747 burns 16.5L/km (from boeing website) and, in reality, a trip to australia burns more fuel than i did from sleding, sled skiing and sled touring for an entire season. taking a 747 to australia (12,500km from YVR) burns 916 litres of fuel, round trip, per person at full 450 seat capacity whereas i burned 650 litres sledding (30% less) 1,000kms in the backcountry. not judging, not critical of trips to australia, just say'ing think pragmatically about your choices and decisions to critize others' decisions.

reportedly, the entire north american market for new sleds was approximately 200,000 new sleds a few years ago; it may be more or less now. actually consuming 650 litres a season like i did is actually a relatively physically demanding task and i would argue that the VAST majority of sledders physically cannot consume that much fuel as they do not have the endurance. the reality is, arguements and hate-on against sledding are not based on environmental reasons but, like many things in this world, on misconception and stereotyping.

Nov. 6, 2008, 11:21 p.m.

Let me get to the point. I've been to the sled cabins at Metal Dome and at Black Tusk. TONS of garbage; beer cans and shit all over the place. Oil streaks, bits of broken gear all over the freaking place. Sledders are pigs. Having a sled lets pigs get into the alpine. Pigs that can carry a shitload of garbage into the alpine.

Ski tourers can be pigs too but they can't carry that much garbage.

Now, if I had my way, anyone who leaves garbage in the alpine should be shot. Then they should be castrated. Then garroted. Then their bodies burnt and if they're still alive their entrails left to be eaten by crows. Crows with dull beaks.

I feel much better now …

Nov. 6, 2008, 11:58 p.m.

taking a 747 to australia (12,500km from YVR) burns 916 litres of fuel, round trip, per person at full 450 seat capacity

Crap I'm trapped. My eco nazi principals will prevent me from ever going home now that I know that.

I ride Bikes

Nov. 7, 2008, 1:47 a.m.

you cunts actually think running a couple snowmobiles is going to fuck over the world
we're here for a good time, not a long time, so have a good time the sun cant shine every day

Nov. 7, 2008, 7:26 a.m.

I've been reading this thread from the beggining and I have to laugh at many of the comments. I sled, I sledski, I ski tour, I bike (shuttle and XC), so I do a good range of activities with varying ranges of environmental impact. I would have to agree with simon@nshore. Everything we do has an impact to the environment in some way or another. Although Simons estimates on oil usage are way out to lunch. Most sleds should run at Approximately a 40 or 50 to 1 ratio meaning that you burn 1 liter of oil for every 40 to 50 liters of gas burned. If your sled is burning as much oil as you say it is, then it is in serious need of a tune up and adjustment.

I do have to take issue with all the sledder bashing, I don't leave garbage in the backcountry, I'm not clueless about avalanche safety, all my friends and I have the appropriate gear and have avalanche training. Not all sledders are pigs, not all sledders are clueless idiots, stop generalizing all sledders as such. I have to admit that there are still redneck, clueless, pig sledders as described, but I would say they are quickly becoming the minority as sledders figure out that if they want continued access to the backcountry they need to make sure they respect it.

I would also like to point out that having toured into several ski touring only cabins I have had to carry out other peoples garbage on multiple occaisions, I've also met people touring that were pretty clueless about avalanche safety, so they exist in all sports.

As for carbon footprint and impact on the environment, this year has been a perfect example of my thoughts on how to tackle the problem. If you want people to use less you need to make it less affordable. Gas prices shot up and all of sudden truck sales plummeted, econo car sales jumped, and overall kilometers driven have dropped. People will change as soon as it's in their financial best interest to change.

Nov. 7, 2008, 8:26 a.m.

simons shark finner is much more fuel efficiant then my tuna trawler, but I get the added bonus of catching the odd dolphin.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.