Dynafit brake repair

Nov. 29, 2016, 9:53 a.m.

Hoping someone has had this issue before and can point me to a solution:

My brake on one of my dynafit radical bindings no longer stays in place and over time slides forward to pass the lip of the "tower" (no longer called towers but whatever they are called) that normally holds the brake down and prevents it from engaging. This does two bad things, it opens the brake during skinning which isn't great and it also allows the "tower" to rotate easier and I often find myself locking in during skinning.

Since you can't remove the brake without removing the binding itself I can't simply replace the brake.

Ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance!

Nov. 29, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

Hoping someone has had this issue before and can point me to a solution:

My brake on one of my dynafit radical bindings no longer stays in place and over time slides forward to pass the lip of the "tower" (no longer called towers but whatever they are called) that normally holds the brake down and prevents it from engaging. This does two bad things, it opens the brake during skinning which isn't great and it also allows the "tower" to rotate easier and I often find myself locking in during skinning.

Since you can't remove the brake without removing the binding itself I can't simply replace the brake.

Ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance!

rad v1? Old towers or new towers?

Nov. 29, 2016, 1 p.m.

Why can't you remove the binding?

Nov. 29, 2016, 1:19 p.m.

Can't remove the binding without having to remount somewhere else and far away for screw holes to be strong enough - at least that's what everyone tells me, remove the binding and you have to remount.

The bindings are TLT radical ST, probably the first edition - came on used skis.

Nov. 29, 2016, 1:31 p.m.

Can you take off the tower and take a pic? If not… I can take a few.

From the brakes sliding around, it seems like it's the gen 1 towers (not the gen 2).

Gen 2:

Gen 1:

Gen 1 brakes are replacable, but it might just be missing the metal retainer that holds them in…

Which ones are you on?

Nov. 29, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

Thanx I'll take a look when I'm at home.

Nov. 29, 2016, 3:23 p.m.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-779/Radical-ST-Base-Plates-with-Brakes

a pretty good pict^^ those look like they clip around the bottom of the main post but my Rads don't clip like that they are like your Gen2 pict where the stamped metal part goes right around that post and you must replace the whole thing even if all you need is wider brakes is my understanding??

BTW its easy to swap Dynafit brake arms for wider arms or even retro fit wider Salomon arms to a dynaft binding

edit from wildsnow:Over the years, craftsmen have found that brake arms from other brand bindings can sometimes be swapped into the Dynafit brakes. Prior to 2013, the brakes on Dynafit bindings were all removable and could easily be swapped. Around 2014 all Radical series bindings have fixed non-removable brakes and require swapping out the complete heel unit to change brake widths

https://www.wildsnow.com/bindings/dynafit-backcountry-skiing-bindings/dynafit-binding-tech-skiing-faq/#radrotate

there is a picture of a retaining clip in there ^^

Nov. 29, 2016, 7:10 p.m.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-779/Radical-ST-Base-Plates-with-Brakes

a pretty good pict^^ those look like they clip around the bottom of the main post but my Rads don't clip like that they are like your Gen2 pict where the stamped metal part goes right around that post and you must replace the whole thing even if all you need is wider brakes is my understanding??

^ Pretty much. If you're on Rad 1.0 gen 1, you can swap the brakes, but you're probably just missing the retainer clip. If you're on Rad 1.0 gen 2, then you need to replace the whole heel piece. That said, I don't think it would be the worst to re-use the old holes unless they are fubared. That also said, it's easy enough to mount it a little further back, or little more forward and leave the toe piece as is.

Do some research and report back.

Nov. 29, 2016, 7:55 p.m.

I have reused lots of binding holes with no problems, I usually use slow set epoxy and if the holes is slightly stripped cram some 1/2 inch chopped up strands of FG cloth in the hole

I have been under the impression that all Rad bindings were Gen 2 without a clip since day 1?

I can't find a pict of that clip but OP can just look at the the binding on the other ski

Nov. 29, 2016, 8:04 p.m.

I have reused lots of binding holes with no problems, I usually use slow set epoxy and if the holes is slightly stripped cram some 1/2 inch chopped up strands of FG cloth in the hole

I have been under the impression that all Rad bindings were Gen 2 without a clip since day 1?

I can't find a pict of that clip but OP can just look at the the binding on the other ski

Nope… the pics I have posted is the difference between the two gens for Rad v1.0.

I had gen 1 baseplates on 1 pair of skis, and gen 2 on another, so I should swap the heel towers back and forth. I put inserts in for the toe pieces then used a pair of dynafits across two sets of skis. They came out originally with the gen 1 plates, then switched maybe… a year after release? Or two? can't remember.

I've since moved to rad 2.0s and ions and handed down the rad 1.0s.

Nov. 29, 2016, 8:33 p.m.

I have 2 sets of verticals and 1 set of rads, the rads blew up on me, I got warranty but i do not trust them and so I moved them to a ski I use less

If I was buying right now it would probably be the ion

Nov. 29, 2016, 11:52 p.m.

Can't remove the binding without having to remount somewhere else and far away for screw holes to be strong enough - at least that's what everyone tells me, remove the binding and you have to remount.

This is NOT TRUE. You can re-use old holes the same holes, so long as they are not stripped out. You need to be sure to use the proper glue to seal the hole from moisture getting in, epoxy isn't required unless the hole is stripped, then take it to a reputable shop and get some proper advice.

I have done this hundreds if not thousands of times over my many years working on skis, including my own, friends and probably in the thousands on customers skis.

Nov. 30, 2016, 11:34 a.m.

By the way, as far as the brake problem goes, it sounds like you have the 1st Generation with a retention clip, when that goes missing the brake can slide forward. The 2nd Gen can't slide, as it is around the post.

Repair can be done without removing binding or any parts on the binding.

PM me if you are in Vancouver, I have the clips.

Nov. 30, 2016, 5:38 p.m.

Tonestar, do you happen to know binding setback numbers for 2014 Line Sir Francis Bacons?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 30, 2016, 6:59 p.m.

Attached is a picture. Looking at the other one it looks like it went all the way around but it didn't break as it's too symmetrical.

So my guess is first gen. Does that look correct?

This has been awesome guys. Thanx so much!