DIN Question

Dec. 18, 2014, 9:56 p.m.

Skiing today I lost a ski twice.

First time was near/on Kaleidoscope, preskied bumpy soft snow. Got off my intended line, maybe a lil outta control. Got spun backwards, popped a ski and switch one ski tomahawked down the hill.

Second time was in the afternoon trying to hit some sweet jomps in the Whistler park. Landed just past the tranny knuckle on the second jump set up there and upon impact my ski popped off. i had to crash as I wasn't able to reign it all in before the snowboard crew on their lunchtime picnic.

First time the DIN setting likely did its job, or I'd still be up on the hill crying and waiting for patrol. Second time not so much.

Is it time to increase my DIN setpoint? And to what? Or should I say just say eff it and go all Spinal Tap on the DIN?

Facts:
-Beginner + ability
-~145 lbs rider weight
-Attack 13 Binders
-Current DIN Setpoint 6

As far as I can tell my super low DIN number is what is keeping myself from an energy drink sponsor and getting mad honeys.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:04 p.m.

Check your forward pressure (or get a shop to do it) before you start upping your DIN. Then adjust in small amounts if needed to save your knees.

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:05 p.m.

IMO , and what i would do . grab the screw driver and turn them up to 8 .
wider ski , soft choppy conditions = finding your ski .. if your din is too low.
further , some bindings are more sensitive to bits of snow and crap on your boot .

if you keep experiencing bullshit ejection . simply dial them up (toe and heel ) up one more din setting.
Whistler/ Blackcomb have courtesy tools at a bunch of sign post areas around the mountain.
DON't ski with a flat head screwdriver (shank) in your jacket or pack .

Last season a buddy of mine skewered his thigh with his truck key…… course he may been sipping pints and partaking in gaper day festivities . messy!

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:05 p.m.

Facts:
-Beginner + ability

They are doing what they're supposed to.

Keep them as is.

Learn how to ski without loosing them.

I'm 185 lb, skiing for 25 years and DIN 7. Not loosing a ski more than once a year. Maybe I ski like a girl but I doubt it. No jumps for me though.

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:09 p.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]edit[HTML_REMOVED] no jomps for me.

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:27 p.m.

Check forward pressure and move your DIN up to 7.

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:50 p.m.

If Im reading the forward pressure correct, it looks like it is at 5

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prgjdi4SFMk

Dec. 18, 2014, 11:25 p.m.

6 doesn't sound too out of line for a 145lb newby(?) but then you think maybe its 5?

You need to check toe piece height if the binding has it, preload and DIN setting for from and rear, who set the skis up?

are your boots clean of snow? The best way is to gently kick the binding with the bottom of the boot to knock off all the snow

Dec. 18, 2014, 11:43 p.m.

Fanatyko set up the bindings and boots

There looks to be two lines in the window, I'm almost certain it is at 5.
Im also retarded, the forward pressure is at 6.

Ski loss came probably 2 hours apart, so I doubt it was snow build-up. Had it came a few turns later, I'd agree

I need to work on my edge to edge speed now, 108 is a long distance to travel :lol:

Asking about the DIN as I don't have plans to rip my knee off

So DIN is a number related to how much applied force is required to remove my boot from its binding?
Forward Pressure is how tight my boot fits into the binding via the rear mech?

Dec. 19, 2014, 1:07 a.m.

So DIN is a number related to how much applied force is required to remove my boot from its binding?
Forward Pressure is how tight my boot fits into the binding via the rear mech?

More or less. For the binding to perform optimally, the heel piece of the binding pushing your boot into the toe. With your ski off, and watching as you put your boot into your binding, you will see the heel piece slide back and forth a little as you step in.

I would take a guess that Fanatyko set up the bindings fine.

+1 on making sure your boot is clean of snow before putting it in. I've still seen cases where a bit of ice causes a pre-release even after ripping around for a while.

I know it's not recommended, but I always have my heel piece +.5 higher than my toe, specially if the rear doesn't pivot.

Always take a look at your ski after a release and figure out if it was the toe or heel. If the heel is still down, it was the toe… etc. You can try to figure out what sort of falls are associated with each piece of binding and adjust accordingly.

Dec. 19, 2014, 8:36 a.m.

M.

I know it's not recommended, but I always have my heel piece +.5 higher than my toe, specially if the rear doesn't pivot.

Always take a look at your ski after a release and figure out if it was the toe or heel. If the heel is still down, it was the toe… etc. You can try to figure out what sort of falls are associated with each piece of binding and adjust accordingly.

I do the same thing^^ specialy with AT boots/dynafit/FR+ cuz I found MOST all my releases are at the heel just bashing thru bumps in the pow, alpine boots/binding not so bad

And ya Fanatyko has a pretty good rep

edit : REALLY if everything is correct on the setup for your size/ability I would learn to ski better … knee surgery sucks

Dec. 19, 2014, noon

I know the first one was the toe, as the heel was still down. I believe the second one was as well

Dec. 19, 2014, 3:01 p.m.

Too much forward pressure can also cause toe release. The heel is basically pushing the toe past it's elastic travel.

Double check the fp. If it's good up to 7 both toe and heel, don't worry a 7 isn't going to rip your knees apart.

Dec. 19, 2014, 3:03 p.m.

Also this could just be god smiting you for being a lunch tray slider for all those years.