cypress XC season?

Dec. 8, 2009, 2:31 p.m.

when does the nordic ski season usually end, im tryign to figure out if its worth it to get into nordic skiing this year when cypress is closed from feb 1st to march 8th.

thanks

Dec. 8, 2009, 2:39 p.m.

probably not. Unless you pay for the pass now…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 8, 2009, 2:52 p.m.

is the 150 dollar pass a limited time offer type of dealio?

would it be better to get into snowshoeing as a form of cross trainign for road riding then , all mountains offer it, cheaper too. as good as a workout?

Dec. 8, 2009, 3:17 p.m.

is the 150 dollar pass a limited time offer type of dealio?

would it be better to get into snowshoeing as a form of cross trainign for road riding then , all mountains offer it, cheaper too. as good as a workout?

Other then being Ghey… (JK!) There are more snowshoeing options on Seymour and Grouse, if you pay for the ride up or hike up the grind.

I've never really snowshoed, or xc skied but I imagine the workout for either will be as good as you make it.

I'm not sure the cost of the hollyburn pass from previous years.

PM Norona and ask him. I think he's done both.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 8, 2009, 3:28 p.m.

How about speed skating. Natural crossover for road riding.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 8, 2009, 3:38 p.m.

^^^And you can use the same clothes for both.

Dec. 8, 2009, 4:05 p.m.

well im not the best skater, so i dont really want to waste time learning technique, i just want a good aerobic workout aside from swimming and cycling.

richmond oval is also closed already for the games, so where else do they do long track speeding in lower mainland.

speedskates cost way more than xc skis or snowshoes aswell

Dec. 8, 2009, 4:25 p.m.

if you have xc skate ski boots you can get nordic blades for ice skating

http://www.nordicskater.com/prices.html

Dec. 8, 2009, 5:05 p.m.

^^ You're still going to have to learn technique for XC!

Relatively speaking, $150bux isn't too bad for an xc season's pass, even without February. (Washington is $350)
Cypress is pretty small, but even so it is easy to ski 2-3 times a week if you are close by [HTML_REMOVED] enjoy it.

Dec. 8, 2009, 5:35 p.m.

Go for the xc pass and yeah for nights it is easy and a wicked workout. resist the tempation to hammer as most cyclist go too hard. It is at elevation, quite hilly at cypress and it is a tough sport. if you focus on technique you become way better at the sport and in the long run you will come off winter and be way fresher than someone who has been riding through the shitty rainy weather in the city and if you spend the first month just spinning and getting back into the riding you will lose nothing but be fresher.

I use to not ride from october 15th till Late March and get on my bike and feel as though my fitness was stronger. I did not have the feeling of being on a bike but that really takes a couple of weeks and your golden.

Snowshoeing is similar but I think it is easier to get a better, smoother and more fluid workout that is overall beter through xc skiing than snowshoeing. Plus technically you still have to pay to use snowshoe trails on the mountains unless you go to fromme, or in the park and grouse you have to have a skyride pass. $150.00 is a good deal for cypress pass…if you get into it you will get your moneys worth in no time. I just did a little blog on xc skiing so here is the link for you to check out…

http://www.noronalife.com/blog/2009/12/try-cross-country-skiing-this-winter/

whatever your choice you will have fun…cheers dave

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Dec. 9, 2009, 10:11 a.m.

I mostly agree with Norona except Hollyburn is not enough elevation to feel unless you have breathing issues. XC is generally a much harder workout than snowshoe unless your're running on the snowshoes. I don't really see the point then. You can run in the city. Also you go snowshoe on the trials and many times they are so well travelled that you don't really need snowshoes. I smowshoe at Whistler a bit to get the dogs out. The golf course is good spot but places like the Riverside Trails is so well used that I walked it with snowshoes strapped the pack.

Nordic on the other hand is in my opinion way more fun. Cypress is quite hilly and tough but the trails in Callaghan are remarkable. Really well groomed and there is a good variety of beginer intermediate and turn yourself inside out expert. When its hard and fast the downhills can be quite exciting. Not unusual to hit 60 kph + on 44mm wide sticks with running shoes on. Yee haa. Snowshoes are slow. But in deep snow snowshoes are really pleasant. A good cool down after a day on the slopes.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 9, 2009, 12:26 p.m.

Yeah wasn't really meaning altitude sickness but most venues are at a significant altitude which is another benefit. Also the Callaghan is great but it is a long way to travel for a 1-3 hour workout especially from the city and also from Whistler when you have some awesome skate trails from Lost lake. Callaghan will also be closed now for Olympics.

You will get bored at Cypress if you constantly skiing 3 plus hours. But the hills allow you to get a wicked workout in in 1-2 hours..I did many 5 hour skis there when training for skiing across alaska..that was pretty hard..

Snowshoe hiking is a lot slower however it is one of the best winter LSD training one can do and we never go on packed trails except when coming off the mountain. But it is true that many times if you go to the main spots you won't need snowshoes, but the biggest benefit of training in the mountains s the beauty and the snow instead of getting cold in the rain in the city, regardless if you are on runners or a bike…that gets old fast

As i said most people who xc ski go way to fast and train too hard and blow themselves for races or the training they were trying to get. Many have a tough time keeping their Hr below 150. Having good technique will allow this and also allow you to build a wicked huge base while being in the snow, not the rain. That is why i tell people to work on technique over hammering..

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Dec. 9, 2009, 3:20 p.m.

Callaghan will also be closed now for Olympics. ..

FYI, Callaghan is only closed for February.

Callaghan Valley Open for Public Skiing for the 2009/2010 Season - Season Passes now on sale!!

Yes The Callaghan Valley at Whistler Olympic Park and Callaghan Country is open for public skiing this coming season! We are working with our partners Cross Country Connection and Callaghan Country this year to provide groomed trails, lessons, rentals and more. There will be some modifications to our normal operation in terms of services, trails available and open dates due to the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Access to public skiing is from the Callaghan Country Base area just before the Whistler Olympic Park gate. Public access and skiing in the Callaghan Valley will be closed only for the month of February. Access to the core Whistler Olympic Park venue including daylodge, parking and competition trails will be closed all season. Please visit our rates and rentals page to see the most up to date information and get your season pass.

Dec. 9, 2009, 5:42 p.m.

Good to know thanks for clarifying that as I was initially told that the area was closed except for the trails around the callaghan country lodge. Good News!!

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Dec. 10, 2009, 1:25 a.m.

as prev mentioned snowshoes can be a great workout or a total blast or both. In deep powder falling/ runningown Hollyburn peak is an absolute riot. So is leaving your place on running shoes with snowshoes in hand wondering where on Fromme you need to put them on. You guys are right, just because there is snow doesn't mean runners are no good. Unless there is above ankle snow [HTML_REMOVED] it's not boilerplate regular trail runners will do the trick.