Boots

Nov. 26, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

I read an article on the Atomic Backland Carbon boots and it got me thinking.
//http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/atomic-backland-carbon-boot/4

Are these (another example sited was the Dynafit TLT6) type of boots, as the author of the article I read claimed, more suitable for what most people tour are doing? Losing 1-1.5lbs off your boots without any real loss in dh control would be worth it if you tour long and a lot.

Most 2 buckle boots are said to be too light to move the fat skis and certainly too light if you go steep or likely jump a lot but most people claim 2 buckle is no good for most touring situations. The above two boots are claimed to be enough for most people who tour on fat skis.

Thoughts?

Nov. 26, 2015, 7:24 p.m.

I read an article on the Atomic Backland Carbon boots and it got me thinking.
//http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/atomic-backland-carbon-boot/4

Are these (another example sited was the Dynafit TLT6) type of boots, as the author of the article I read claimed, more suitable for what most people tour are doing?

Yes

Nov. 26, 2015, 9:08 p.m.

Most 2 buckle boots are said to be too light

The number of buckles is irrelevant these days. Lots more going on than just the buckle count.

Years ago manufactures used wimpy plastics with their low count buckle boots and stiffer plastic on their four buckling touring boots. That's changed.

But yes, most people for proper touring will do just fine with a lighter modern boot vs an older four buckle touring boot. Many of the four buckle "touring" boots available now are aiming for alpine plug boot style performance. Over kill for many people.

But as always fit trumps all. Slopping around in the worlds greatest boot is worse than a great fit in a "crappy" boot.

Nov. 27, 2015, 7:46 a.m.

And get red ones and just be fuckin' rad.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 27, 2015, 8:40 a.m.

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/Guide-To-Ski-Touring-Boot-Flexes-431

AS with bikes most people substitute gear for skill. Ie more whizzbangs, doodads etc is compensation for lack of skill

Buckles for ski boots = travel for bikes. Think of it as compensation.

Most people could be fine with lighter two three buckle boots strictly for touring. Different story if you want one boot to do it all for inbounds/touring

And what shirk said - fit is everything

Nov. 27, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

forget red these ^^ are more manly!

Back in the day Manly boots had alot of buckles because buckles and the material determined the boots stiffness which also made them heavy and limited the Range Of Motion. In the attached pic you can see a matte black pylon attached to the back of the lower shell with the metal pin (I think these are the Dynafit TLT5's) these were the 1st boots where Dynafit started using a pylon at the rear of the boot to give stiffenss that was independant of cuff material or the amount of buckles. Unlatch the top buckle and you got alot of ROM for the walk up, flick the latch back and it locks the cuff [HTML_REMOVED] top of the pylon together for a stiff cuff that is lightweight but did not limit the ROM

3 yrs ago they took it another step further with the ONE/Mercury/Vulcan which are stiff/stiffer/stiff as fuck

The new Salomon mtn lab the atomic backlund the new dynafit khion are all using the pylon at the rear and have [HTML_REMOVED] 4 buckles

Fot is everything so try to find the boot that fits your foot, the mercury/vulcan with an intuition power wrap work for me, narrow heel wide fore foot lower volume stiff as fuck

edit: that pict is photo shopped of course