Bindings position for touring - North American vs. European style

Feb. 11, 2009, 4:51 a.m.

Looking at all these mouth watering blower pow pictures which are posted here and on other boards (Rockies related), I recognised that most of the bindings on touring skis seem to be mounted slightly forward, other than the average European mounting position, which seems fairly in the back. Also Canadian/US skiers seem to ride longer skis than the average European guy does. So maybe it seems to have the bindings more forward but it's just the longer skis, which make other proportions on the pics.
A plus for forward mounting would be, that you don't sink to much, because one is in a more centralised position. A con could be that the ski is overturning to much, like oversteering in a car.

My 175cm planks with Fritschis are pretty much balanced. When I lift one ski neither tip nor tail move up or down. The middle of my boot coincides with the marking on the ski, which presumably stands for the ideal position.

What's the benefit of having the binding mounted forward? Is it for turning ease? Or is it all just in the contortion of the pictures?

Feb. 11, 2009, 8:26 a.m.

when I first mounted my dynastar big troubles with freerides they were a couple cm's back of centre and I skied like crap.

Difficult to control, always in the backseat.

I remounted the dynastars with regular bindings more forward and they were way more responsive and easy to control.

I mounted the freerides on another pair of skis more forward and they ski great.

Feb. 11, 2009, 8:51 a.m.

What's the benefit of having the binding mounted forward? Is it for turning ease? Or is it all just in the contortion of the pictures?

that mark is ski center ,the mark on yer boot is boot center,what you can do is USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION NOOB! on web sites like TGR OR TT.com where they won't call you a fucking noob to find out if a particular model [HTML_REMOVED] size of ski should be mounted for your application, there are people on those sites who know alot about ski tech and have skied alot of skis and/or own the ski you are wondering about

forward is probably gona turn faster , back is probably gona be better for pow BUT I wouldnt take that as gospel cuz every ski feels different . I got demo bindings on my alpine setup and boot all the way forward 1/2 an inch or so didnt feel as good on my verdicts as center on center ,I havent tried them all the way back yet

tele skiers with BIG feet usually mount forward cuz they go pins on chord center(middle of ski) but tele boots are only attached at the front …if they didnt go forward of chord cneter big foots would be mounted well behind boot center

you are probaly fine at center on center

I don't get the NA vs yer a peeing skier thing ,they ride big skis over there too,I don't really see how you could notice an inch back/forward in a picture of a skier unless it was taken from 3 ft away ?

most peoples complaint with freerides and AT bindings in general is the zero ramp angle which puts them more upright also they feel like they are backseat compared to an alpine binding ,if thats your problem you could put your AT boots in the forward position or put a shim under the rear binding mount

Feb. 11, 2009, 2:04 p.m.

my lib tech freerides with fritschi fr+ are mounted on the line….seems to work for me

Feb. 11, 2009, 3:44 p.m.

that mark is ski center ,the mark on yer boot is boot center,what you can do is USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION NOOB! on web sites like TGR OR TT.com where they won't call you a fucking noob to find out if a particular model [HTML_REMOVED] size of ski should be mounted for your application, there are people on those sites who know alot about ski tech and have skied alot of skis and/or own the ski you are wondering about

forward is probably gona turn faster , back is probably gona be better for pow BUT I wouldnt take that as gospel cuz every ski feels different . I got demo bindings on my alpine setup and boot all the way forward 1/2 an inch or so didnt feel as good on my verdicts as center on center ,I havent tried them all the way back yet

tele skiers with BIG feet usually mount forward cuz they go pins on chord center(middle of ski) but tele boots are only attached at the front …if they didnt go forward of chord cneter big foots would be mounted well behind boot center

you are probaly fine at center on center

I don't get the NA vs yer a peeing skier thing ,they ride big skis over there too,I don't really see how you could notice an inch back/forward in a picture of a skier unless it was taken from 3 ft away ?

most peoples complaint with freerides and AT bindings in general is the zero ramp angle which puts them more upright also they feel like they are backseat compared to an alpine binding ,if thats your problem you could put your AT boots in the forward position or put a shim under the rear binding mount

HEY HEY XXXer
Yer spending a little too much time on TGR I see.
Actually I believe the mark on the ski is the makers recommended place for boot center.
And of course if you search you can find many opinions on the subject.:nerd:

TEAM CRAFTY

Feb. 11, 2009, 5:48 p.m.

that mark is ski center ,the mark on yer boot is boot center,what you can do is USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION NOOB! on web sites like TGR OR TT.com …

you forgot to call him a JONG.
you also forgot to bitch about jesse jones.
haha!

Feb. 12, 2009, 10:23 a.m.

So does that means I am a fucking NOOB JONG ?

Not actualy calling Zap an FNJ cuz his question was fine and actualy I have never called anyone an FNJ or have I been called one myself .

These sites are the best pool of data and the point IS get the question asking bit down or risk scathing comments especaily on TGR.

Do a search on your specific question ,if you don't find the answer ask a specific question,list all data that might be relevant like " 160lb advanced tele skier in utah , where to mount hammer heads ,330bsl garmont energy on 181 coomba's " … not " like should I get Oakleys?"

frankly when you spend way too much time on the internet people ask stuff like "why should I wax" or "what ski/boot/jacket/goggle is cool"

I don't mind helping if I know cuz I AM a hopeless gearslut ,but can't folks do some shit for themselves ?

Feb. 12, 2009, 1:37 p.m.

Question was a bit of a mishap. I can help myself with the search function, yes (will consult it again), but my question was meant in a more general way. I'm just curious if there's a benefit with a slightly forward position on touring setups. Like more lift in deep pow, less mobility at kick turns…
Mine are tared comfortably for up and down.
So it's all about one's personal preferences and the ski's characteristics.
I'm aware big skis are skied here too, but they're not as common as elsewhere, due to lack of pow days, I guess. Maybe it's the Alpes (especially the Eastern parts) where people tend to go for shorter skis and seem to be more backwards on them.

One of the fluffier days

Feb. 12, 2009, 2:37 p.m.

perhaps its becuase we ski down hills unlike that pic of yours

Feb. 12, 2009, 3:51 p.m.

hope that's the worst of your terrain. ouch.

Feb. 12, 2009, 4:18 p.m.

Who pissed in XXX's cereal?