Best Place for Kids Ski/Snow Clothes?

Sept. 2, 2016, 11:19 p.m.

Couple kids, 4ft tall (+2") "youth" sized girls…

Where you parents going to prep your kids clothing-wise for the ski season ahead??

Wife and I are at a bit of a loss - having lived in the tropics for a few years and coming back, kinda lost the "oh ya, THAT place…!!" know how.

Any intel - uber appreciated.
Thanks,
Le Sanch

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 3, 2016, 7:22 a.m.

We go to skis and bikes in vancouver most of the time as we get discount through our ski club. They always seem to have a descent stock of good kids gear. For kids that ski a lot at a high level it can be hard to find good gear.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 3, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

Define best.

Cheapest? Most ArcTeryx in pint size? Hottest salesreps? Free beer with each purchase?

Sept. 3, 2016, 8:36 a.m.

I dont have kids, but Destinations program has seemed brilliant to me.

http://www.thedestination.ca/trade-in/

Sept. 3, 2016, 8:57 a.m.

I dont have kids, but Destinations program has seemed brilliant to me.

http://www.thedestination.ca/trade-in/

Trade in is good depending on the kids ski level. For beginners and intermediate skiers it's ok but once they start really charging you need performance skis and boots. They make a huge difference. I'm just guessing here but if he's from Whistler, my guess is he's fairly serious and the level if not now will get pretty high.

Sept. 3, 2016, 9:16 a.m.

His kids are from the tropics.

Sept. 3, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

But thats also why 'best' isn't a very useful qualifier.

Sept. 3, 2016, 9:34 a.m.

Valid questions…

Our eldest had already taken part in 2 years of ski school prior to our [tropical] leave, from there she segued into surfing - kid's a natural.

Our youngest is going from surfing, now into ski-school. Both of them will get very good, very quickly.

Their DNA at least from daddy's side is that of a former career big mountain skier, and as a teenager, a provincials team gate basher. Their mum's no slouch either - competitive gymnast and damn fine on 2 sticks might I add. They got good mountain DNA folks.

So - key here is, they grow quickly, they need warmth and comfort and waterproof clothing. Those are the soft goods. I've got the hard goods covered 100% (skis, boots, bindings, etc.). It's clothes we're scratching our heads about and knowing that next years' stuff won't fit them, no, Arcteryx and top-notch branding isn't necessary - it's function before form.

Thanks Cats!
Le Sanch

Sept. 3, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

What I meant to say is - the likelihood of this years stuff (clothing) fitting them next year is slim, it's a rapid growth stage right now, in the clothing department… Skis they can likely bash a good 2 seasons on as they'll be growing into their lengths and then outgrowing their lengths. But clothing needs good fitment and weather-proofing; and will likely need to be swapped out next year.

MOAR KAWFEE NEEDED

Sept. 3, 2016, 11:39 a.m.

We get our stuff with the club. halti and descente seem to be the best. Get a poncho lots of spare gloves and hand warmers. Kids ponchos can be hard to get mid season. My kids ski rain or shine. Good clothing goes a long way, don't cheap out.

Sept. 3, 2016, 2:07 p.m.

It's hit and miss, but have gotten killer deals at the re-use-it centre at Funtion Junction. Also try North Shore sports swap (assuming you;re looking used)

Sept. 4, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

Good intel folks, thanks!!

I think we'll check out NSS[HTML_REMOVED]B this week once the kids get back to school as well as some local shops in and around the village. The Turkey Sale is always on everyone's list of "to-do's", and granted, as a resident you get in a day early, but queuing up for a couple hours just to get first dibs on the almighty unknown isn't my schtick. The TS used to be a banger scene maybe 20 years ago or so - even 15 - it was bomber on everything when it came to blowout pricing and most of it was top-drawer stuff. But as with everything, it became less about a celebration of residency in mountain culture kindness and more about capitalism and marketing.

I phoned a shop regarding some custom foam liners for boots the other day - they're currently offering up to 70% off between Thursday last week and this coming Tuesday - the long weekend sale. Same product they'll be offering 20% off at the Turkey Sale. So it goes.

Have a good morning NSMB!! Get out and RIDE!!!

Sept. 4, 2016, 8:56 a.m.

It doesn't help now, but we usually buy our kids shit in April and May when everyone is blowing their shit out the door, both local and online.

Sept. 4, 2016, 10:20 a.m.

It doesn't help now, but we usually buy our kids shit in April and May when everyone is blowing their shit out the door, both local and online.

Totally agree, but we were 6000km away back in April. Sh!t happens. We'll get it sorted.

Sept. 7, 2016, 9:40 a.m.

Got our eldest a jacket / pant set at Destination last year that has a seam on the inside that you can cut out. Gives them an extra inch or two in the sleeves / legs. Helps us get a couple of seasons out of it.

We have had good luck on amazon / ebay too if you are looking for something really specific.

The swap is great for skis, boots etc but we havent had too much luck with clothing.

Can be worth buying a second jackets as well - if we don't ours end up wearing the ski jacket to school and nothing will trash them faster.

Now I got to get our gear out and try it on the kids!