Beginner backcountry terrain around Pemberton?

Feb. 20, 2015, 7:26 a.m.

I knew you were gona say that altho some people drove up for the last pow cycle

more of a example of what is possible, look for the whole story on Salomon TV next fall they were just up here shooting unfortunately they missed the snow but I think they got all the background

Feb. 20, 2015, 9:49 a.m.

http://www.bbss.ca/hankin

This^^ is perfect for the newbies, a back country ski area with aviy safe cut runs, complex terrain above tree line, no staff, no lifts,its free, its mapped, its signed and to more or less quote Lee Lau "even a moron couldn't get lost"

This looks awesome. Just one more reason to head North.

Feb. 20, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

That ^^ was slightly [HTML_REMOVED] a million $ and a lot of voly time, we are hoping others will see the story and do the same, Salomon wants to tell the story because obviously they want to sell some BC gear but also the Hankin Story is a one of kind

the Salomon crew/atheletes have been hanging out for a week or 2 a very chill very down to earth bunch, unfortunately even tho they rushed their schedule to get here the snow did not cooperate with a rain/freeze cycle all the way up the day they got here, before they left they visited my buddies grade 7 class and answered all kinds of questions …the kids were thrilled

Feb. 20, 2015, 11:01 a.m.

That ^^ was slightly [HTML_REMOVED] a million $ and a lot of voly time, we are hoping others will see the story and do the same, Salomon wants to tell the story because obviously they want to sell some BC gear but also the Hankin Story is a one of kind

the Salomon crew/atheletes have been hanging out for a week or 2 a very chill very down to earth bunch, unfortunately even tho they rushed their schedule to get here the snow did not cooperate with a rain/freeze cycle all the way up the day they got here, before they left they visited my buddies grade 7 class and answered all kinds of questions …the kids were thrilled

Thats pretty cool.

Hows the snow up there now?

Feb. 20, 2015, 11:04 a.m.

bunny hill??? I'd learn to ski first. You should be at least a strong intermediate skier. elfin would be as easy as it gets.

This. I switched from snowboarding to skiing to tour. I was one day of Baker sidecountry in when I realized that touring is a terrible way to get your practice in. Way too much work to do a quick run of snowplough practice. You need some resort experience to build skills and to set some context for what you get in the backcountry (and the amount of work involved to get it). Seems like a lot of people want more pow but the ratio of climbing to descending is way off (for me, at least). You gotta really love just walking around up there because that's what most of your time is spent doing.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 20, 2015, 7:53 p.m.

Thats pretty cool.

Hows the snow up there now?

Spring conditions with good coverage. Should be back to normal by next weekend but setting up for a nasty ice layer for the rest of the season.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 21, 2015, 4:28 p.m.

I think she'd have trouble making it back down the access road at elfin. .

Fooking bobsled run that is.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 21, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

more like walk of hell

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Feb. 21, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

meh….ive done it a few times with one in the backpack carrier and another in the pulk.

….htfu….bunch of corduroy primadonnas.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 22, 2015, 9:15 a.m.

meh….ive done it a few times with one in the backpack carrier and another in the pulk.

it's a muddy shit hole at the moment. snow is high, well if you can call it snow.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Feb. 27, 2015, 3:06 p.m.

Wait, what?
Someone carried you down in a packpack carrier and then again someone pulled you down said trail in a pulk and you tell us to htfu?
:P
First time I careened down that was on '80ish double-camber Karhus.
2nd time I left the skins on………

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.