all around touring bindings?

Oct. 19, 2016, 4:24 p.m.

Some of the complaints of running tech bindings inbounds is that on firm/hardpack they have a very harsh feel. This comes from that fact that your interface between ski and boot are rigid metal and very little elasticity (non in the toe of most designs).

Do some reading on the Fritschi Vipec, it has side to side movement in the toe (elasticity) and this removes some of that harshness.

• formerly the company I work for was the Canadian distributor for Diamir, we're no longer so I am no longer affiliated with Diamir.
Oct. 19, 2016, 4:36 p.m.

guardians/dukes are heavy as all hell, and has a crappy pivot point… and really makes it not that enjoyable.

yes, no one who runs frame bindings could ever have any hope of enjoying their time in the snow on such horrible horrible fun ruining technology

Oct. 19, 2016, 5:27 p.m.

So are we into "what boot for post hole in crotch deep snow?" or still talking about AT bindings?

FR+ was my 1st AT binding and its still in the fleet on some rock JJ's, first of the AT bindings that didn't usually break … actualy a pretty good binding IMO

If yer interested Nick there is a way to cut down a XL FR+ for a small BSL, if you want the link I am pretty sure I still have it

why not just keep using your FR+ keep an eye on them make sure the screws are all tight

If you want a new BC rig score a used [HTML_REMOVED]110MM waisted BC ski/tech binding/skin package which you can often find used for 7-800$ ??

Oct. 19, 2016, 5:46 p.m.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/147930-how-to-make-my-XL-diamirs-XS-s-(kids-AT-bindings)?highlight=cutting+down+fritschi

Seems like a lot of you are into the small kid phase so here y'all go …cutting down an FR+ to fit a kids boot

I think you need an XL because the bar will be SO long that you will cut off the milled slot portion completely and then make another slot in completely virgin aluminium

Oct. 19, 2016, 6:31 p.m.

A lot of the talk in this thread is above my head but I'm interested as I dabble in the back/slack country skiing and more info is always a good thing. I've been on Diamir FR's from the get go and have no complaints about them but as I get drawn to doing bigger days or multiday trips the idea of a more efficient setup is appealing. So, I went hunting for info and found this article that does a good job explaining the changes/advances in AT bindings and figured I'd shared as others here may find it of use in helping them to decide what to get.

http://www.lastfrontierheli.com/news/2198/touring-bindings-its-all-tech-these-days/

so next question, is anyone here a rep for Marker?:D

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 19, 2016, 6:40 p.m.

I think the ALL AROUND touring binding is an oxymoron, so the skier needs to decide where on the continuum of skiing up hill they will be skiing and pick the right gear to do it

I agree, but I also think the cost of new gear is so ridiculous these days that many people try to get by with just one setup.

If you want a new BC rig score a used [HTML_REMOVED]110MM waisted BC ski/tech binding/skin package which you can often find used for 7-800$ ??

When I made the switch from tele to AT for touring, I put money into new boots, and scored a great deal on barely used skis with Onyx bindings. Got skins on an end of season clearance, and I think it came in at around $8-900 for the full setup.

Oct. 19, 2016, 7:28 p.m.

I don't have an industry hookup and I'm not even a nice person but there is so much cheap new or lightly used gear out there I never pay full price

I'm not religous either but maybe the faith i have that "the deal" will come along is like like having religion, so just be ready with cash and have have faith cuz the deal will come along so remember … only dentists pay list

Oct. 19, 2016, 7:48 p.m.

I have new skis that I found cheap, now waiting/looking for bindings. That was the point of this thread, I'm looking for bindings for them.
Anyway, I'm itching for powder with whatever I end up getting. Bring it on!!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 19, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/spo/5835504262.html

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 19, 2016, 7:59 p.m.

Having blown up a Rad 1 I don't trust dynafit, I don't trust the fritschi Vipec which is now in its 4th version, the Kingpin looks good but is on the heavier side, I don't need BC bindings but if I was buying a tech binding right now I would probably go with the G3 ION's …good pricing too

Oct. 19, 2016, 8:19 p.m.

Some of the complaints of running tech bindings inbounds is that on firm/hardpack they have a very harsh feel. This comes from that fact that your interface between ski and boot are rigid metal and very little elasticity (non in the toe of most designs).

^ This is why I wouldn't want to be ripping around inbounds all day on pins, but I'd rather take harshness over slop. Laying down an edge on my white freerides was way worse than the harness of my radicals. Different problems, but still effected overall skiing experience.

yes, no one who runs frame bindings could ever have any hope of enjoying their time in the snow on such horrible horrible fun ruining technology

… on the up ;), but I'm sure you knew that.

In great conditions (on the way down); honestly, the binding is almost irrelevant. Slop is not an issue, retention if you're not hucking yourself is almost not an issue (with the exception of the weight of the snow), harshness is not an issue.

Oct. 19, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

Nothing wrong with a frame binding but you might wana chose something lighter if your app will let you get away with it, few years ago I ran into the salomon crew scouting shoots up here and they were all on mtn lab skis/boots/dynafits so I asked you gona huck on that stuff?

someone said no we will use guardians for hucking

Oct. 19, 2016, 10:06 p.m.

If you see ski anywhere close the "aggressively" adjectives in bound with Tech Toe binding I think you are at risks…
The Toes have basically no retention whatsovever (regardless of the brand but the beast of dynafit maybe). So if you like at charging at speed on those icy/bumpy groomers it s only a question of time when you ll find one of your ski flying right on your next left left turn. There is a lot of nasty trees waiting for you on either side of the slope usually :).
I still see every guys (myself included) locking down toes when stuff get serious (really steep and/or hard).
Stay with a frame binding if you want to ski resort safely (Tyrolia, Marker, Salomon). Trekkers are perfect in the resort, used them for years.
For touring, nothing beat ATK these days. http://www.atkrace.it/?lang=en
They are kind hard to find in north america but the quality is through the roof. I have the older version of the raider 12. Looks like the new Raider 14 got everything you can dream of. (The brakes works!). And, no, I wouldn t used them in bounds ;)
Have fun this winter

Oct. 19, 2016, 10:15 p.m.

I didn't want to come across as a dick - so I apologize if that was the tone of my last two posts.

And knowing pretty well everyone here is actually pretty 'core into their biking, I should assume everyone here is pretty 'core at getting it on in the back/slackcountry of skiing.

What irks me is seeing full tour gear and Patagucci and Arc'amex and everything else "bling" for the heavies - standing in the lift queue and not even able to do a pillow drop without backseating. It's soooooooooo much marketing mentality out there, just makes me laugh and sad all the same.

So - carry on - everyone here is righteously cool (I mean that!!) and I shouldn't have painted things with such a broad brush stroke. I was talking about "them"….not "us".

Le Sanch

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Oct. 20, 2016, 12:50 p.m.

If you see ski anywhere close the "aggressively" adjectives in bound with Tech Toe binding I think you are at risks…
The Toes have basically no retention whatsovever (regardless of the brand but the beast of dynafit maybe). So if you like at charging at speed on those icy/bumpy groomers it s only a question of time when you ll find one of your ski flying right on your next left left turn. There is a lot of nasty trees waiting for you on either side of the slope usually :).
I still see every guys (myself included) locking down toes when stuff get serious (really steep and/or hard).
Stay with a frame binding if you want to ski resort safely (Tyrolia, Marker, Salomon). Trekkers are perfect in the resort, used them for years.
For touring, nothing beat ATK these days. http://www.atkrace.it/?lang=en
They are kind hard to find in north america but the quality is through the roof. I have the older version of the raider 12. Looks like the new Raider 14 got everything you can dream of. (The brakes works!). And, no, I wouldn t used them in bounds ;)
Have fun this winter

https://www.wildsnow.com/18803/comparo-toe-jaw-closure-strength-marker-g3-dynafit/

this ^^ is a cool artical quantifying exactly how much spring pressure those iddy biddy little springs put out

I see some people skiing locked out all the time but I never do, IME one needs to cycle the Toes with by hand to clear ice from under the springs, step into the toes in [HTML_REMOVED] swing your feet a few times to allow the clearing slots in the pins to clean the toe sockets before clipping in, if you don't do this before skiing down EVERYTIME … your skis will fall off

that ATK has a din (like?)setting of 8-14, have you used it, what have you heard?

there is a whole bunch of info on the AT binding to geek out on at wildsnow for anybody in the market to buy AT gear