A Fine Line - educational show about avalanches

Oct. 24, 2008, 7:57 a.m.

Great cinematography!

The time lapses and artistic pics to drawings were impressive!

I can't believe those two guys who got caught lived to talk about it.

Their injuries seemed pretty extreme. The power of water seems magnified when it becomes snow.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 24, 2008, 8:33 a.m.

The opening montage of avalanches was pretty powerful. And when the one guy was talking about trying to dig himself out [HTML_REMOVED] seeing his ankles behind his head as the snow started turning red…..ugh.

Oct. 24, 2008, 9:23 a.m.

Very very well done. This needs to be shown to young skiers/boarders across NA.

Oct. 24, 2008, 9:28 a.m.

very creative throughout and some beautiful time lapse nature shots

Totally agree! It was refreshing to see. I wish other ski flicks stepped it up added more creativity like this to their films. Flashing in and out with the animation was awesome.

I have no filter …

Oct. 24, 2008, 4:26 p.m.

definitely some great cinematography, but really lacking in what i'd call avalanche education/awareness which is what the movie was billed as. the extent of the education was have a beacon, probe and shovel when you head into the back country, do an avalanche safety course and be aware of the conditions.

edit

there was a strong message of what can go wrong if you do the wrong things or simply aren't aware of the dangers, but i was expecting a little more in terms of what to look for. i thought interspersing avy info between the clips would've really added to the show.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 24, 2008, 4:28 p.m.

Ah…. that explains it. My wife told me my son was out at an avalanche course. This morning, when I saw him, he said, no - no course; he went to a movie….called a fine line.

It all becomes clear now. Thank you NSMB for helping me keep track of my son.

Oct. 24, 2008, 5:35 p.m.

definitely some great cinematography, but really lacking in what i'd call avalanche education/awareness which is what the movie was billed as. the extent of the education was have a beacon, probe and shovel when you head into the back country, do an avalanche safety course and be aware of the conditions.

agree. expected more about avi stuff since it is in the title of the film. i guess there is more about this in the 4 other clips they talked about. some stuff was pretty cool like the river freezing and thawing and the tide moving in and out. didn't like all the heli skiing but i guess that's what they think they have to do nowadays. a movie like sinners is still my favorite, thought they would have more of that kind of stuff.

i also think that avalanche conditions are not really predictable so the best thing is to pick a "safe" line (safe depending on the risk you wanne take) and look for the right terrain.

:germany: http://oppelshausen.de

Oct. 24, 2008, 5:44 p.m.

Looking at the contents of the other 4 clips that are to be released and the quality of the people in those other 4 clips, I'm pretty sure that safe travel in avalanche terrain will be adequately addressed