Warner Lake Floatplane Drop

Sept. 16, 2011, 1:10 p.m.

Help us, NSMB'ers!

We are departing next week for two Warner Lake floatplane drops with Tyax. We are a group of ten. I've read how the Eldorado to Lick Creek trails are the best way to return to the resort from Spruce Lake. Also, I've read how the Warner Lake ride to Gun Creek doesn't see much alpine and therefore, few epic views. The Eldorado Pass should make up for this.

Has anyone done the Warner Lake floatplane drop and exited via the Eldorado Pass and Lick Creek trail? How long would it take a fit rider? Is it a hike-a-bike up the Eldorado Trail? How long might it take to gain the pass? Are there other trail combination suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide, oh wise NSMB'ers! Woo hoo!

d

www.fvmba.com

Sept. 16, 2011, 1:14 p.m.

LOOK AT THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sept. 16, 2011, 1:20 p.m.

it's more the climb over windy pass that you should be thinking about….climb up eldorado basin is fine, short push over the ridge to Lick…

Sept. 16, 2011, 1:35 p.m.

Thanks for the reply, Flip. So you prefer the Windy Pass option over the Eldorado to Lick? Why?

Max, thank you for your informative post. :rolleyes:

d

www.fvmba.com

Sept. 16, 2011, 2:14 p.m.

Thanks for the reply, Flip. So you prefer the Windy Pass option over the Eldorado to Lick? Why?

Max, thank you for your informative post. :rolleyes:

you need to go over windy to get to eldorado/lick from warner….and I think Max was implying that depending on group speed and when you get going, you may have to factor in time going that way as opposed to gun creek

Sept. 16, 2011, 2:17 p.m.

Right on, Flip! Thanks. I misunderstood people's posts and thought the Eldorado Trail was what they were talking about. Windy Pass to Eldorado Pass to Lick Creek makes a lot more sense.

Does anyone have any comments about duration? Is this an ideal trail combination for the Warner Lake ride? Cheers!

d

www.fvmba.com

Sept. 16, 2011, 4:07 p.m.

never done it from that side, but my mapping says it's ~620m of vert over 4.6km from the potato patch south of spruce lake to the pass.

Sept. 16, 2011, 5:56 p.m.

Why not tack on an extra day to ride Taylor/Eldorado/Lick on an out and back ride? One of the better loops up there in my opinion, and doesn't cost a penny.

Sept. 16, 2011, 9:02 p.m.

you need to go over windy to get to eldorado/lick from warner….and I think Max was implying that depending on group speed and when you get going, you may have to factor in time going that way as opposed to gun creek

I think max was implying rob warners commentary from mr harts Champery run!

Sept. 17, 2011, 8:50 a.m.

Ah, now it doesn't seem so out of the blue! Haha!

Yah, we plan to make the final decision regarding exit trails at Spruce Lk according to our progress. We were hoping to get an estimate regarding duration for the Eldorado to Lick option beforehand to help with that decision on our ride day.

Your 620m estimate is heartening, as I had estimated approximately 700m to the pass. Since we are a group of ten, I expect some will be more interested in this option than others once we get there. We plan to leave a truck at the Gun Creek trailhead for those who prefer an easier route out.

We are planning an out-and-back or semi-shuttle for day two and it may depend on what we ride out on on day one.

Please keep the info coming! This is gold for a Chilcotin newbie!

d

www.fvmba.com

Sept. 17, 2011, 12:17 p.m.

The Gun Meadows Trail descent is the best part of the Warner Lake Ride. I'd recommend riding out that way on day 1, then climbing Taylor Creek trail to Camel Pass to Lick Creek Trail on Day 2.

If you're staying at Gun Lake, leave a vehicle at the Jewel Creek Trailhead. I can't stress this enough.

Sept. 17, 2011, 3:35 p.m.

The Gun Meadows Trail descent is the best part of the Warner Lake Ride. I'd recommend riding out that way on day 1, then climbing Taylor Creek trail to Camel Pass to Lick Creek Trail on Day 2.

If you're staying at Gun Lake, leave a vehicle at the Jewel Creek Trailhead. I can't stress this enough.

I'd second the Gun Meadow trail vs. the standard low elevation Gun Creek trail. Head up to the Potato patch once you get to Cowboy Camp. There are great views down the valley from this trail.

I'd leave the Taylor Basin, Camel Pass loop for day 2.

With a 10 person group I think people would have killed me if I'd suggest a hike a bike up to Windy Pass once getting to Spruce Lake (Potato Patch). Depending on the group, this is already a long ride if you are riding all the way out to the end of trail near Pearson Pond. (We did this Aug. long weekend last year.)

This late in the season with the early night fall I wouldn't be trying the ride Duga is talking about with a big group.

Sept. 17, 2011, 8:26 p.m.

jewel creek. thats a new one. ;)

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Sept. 18, 2011, 11:36 a.m.

Oi, CraigH, thanks for the good advice, I 'm quite sure we'll take it. I'm going to refer this link to my entire group. This is great info! If any of you need info re Fraser Valley trails, just shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to share local info and even show you the goods, especially on Sumas, Red and Bear. The trails are really developing out this way!

Check out some of the links below, especially the video at the end of the first link to the NSMB article:

http://www.nsmb.com/3976-whistler-report-21
http://www.mtb-hol.com/Canada2008/day_16.html
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/south_chilcotin_mts/eldorado_lower_gun_trails_map.pdf
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/south_chilcotin_mts/warner_trails_map.pdf

South Chilcotins, here we come! Yee-haw!

d

www.fvmba.com

Sept. 18, 2011, 12:53 p.m.

Duga, check your PMs for more pics and info.