Utah/Colorado/California/Oregon must do rides

Aug. 29, 2012, 8:21 a.m.

I've done Fruita/Moab twice now, and each time I've wished I'd spent more time in Fruita rather than the other way around.

Yeah, I've been telling people that they should go to Moab for the views, Fruita for the riding.

Aug. 29, 2012, 8:31 a.m.

ok it looks like i might be adding utah and colorado to my trip.

obviously moab and fruita are places to check out, but i'm wondering about weather.
i couold be in colorado the week of oct 1-6 and am wondering if snow/cold will be a big issue. if i hit moab on the following week, oct 7-12, am i going to run into issues there?

right now a potential intinerary looks like:

Wed, Sep 26 South Lake Tahoe
Thu, Sep 27 South Lake Tahoe
Fri, Sep 28 Downieville
Sat, Sep 29 Downieville
Sun, Sep 30 Travel
Mon, Oct 1 Moab
Tue, Oct 2 Moab
Wed, Oct 3 Moab/travel
Thu, Oct 4 Fruita
Fri, Oct 5 Fruita
Sat, Oct 6 Fruita

just wondering if i should skip moab on the way to colorado and hit it on the way back instead so ill have more time.

thoughts?

with all of this it looks like i may have to scrub any time in oregon.

In CO/UT you will be in the mountains, so anything weatherwise can happen, but usually October brings wonderful weather to both. Looking at your itinerary, it looks like we could be passing each other on the trails in Moab and Fruita. Fruita has excellent riding and you could easily spend a week there riding new trails, for an extended road trip trying to hit the best in each area, you may want to consider riding two days in Fruita and spend the third day in Grand Junction (~20km east)

Aug. 29, 2012, 8:37 a.m.

thanks sharon. i've been going over your site.

the drive from SLT to moab/fruita is not going to be fun, but i'll potentially be meeting a friend who'll be in colorado springs for business the week of oct 1-6th and is bringing his bike. i'm just trying to figure out if i should spend a whole week riding in colorado and hit moab on the way back or split it up like i've done.

hmmm, so maybe:
SLT
park city
fruita
and then moab on the way back???

the nice thing is i have the time.

depending on where you meet your friend… Early October tends to be a bit early for prime leaf peeping, but there should still be some incredible colors from aspen changing in the mountains. I don't know of any spots to see this in western CO or UT, but if you meet him further east, a day on the CO trail or on Government Trail up near Aspen will be worth the extra driving

Aug. 29, 2012, 8:44 a.m.

You mean salt lake city? Park city is the place to ride, just out of slc. Four to five hour drive between slc and Moab.

Moab has done tons in the last few years to upgrade the network with signs and markers so people don't get lost.

There are more trails in Moab then fruita unless youre also counting the lunch loops in grand junction.

Fruita is just off the I 70 so would be easier to hit if you're on your way back. Moab is off the hwy less then an hour.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 29, 2012, 8:55 a.m.

In CO/UT you will be in the mountains, so anything weatherwise can happen, but usually October brings wonderful weather to both. Looking at your itinerary, it looks like we could be passing each other on the trails in Moab and Fruita. Fruita has excellent riding and you could easily spend a week there riding new trails, for an extended road trip trying to hit the best in each area, you may want to consider riding two days in Fruita and spend the third day in Grand Junction (~20km east)

I should clarify. When I say "Fruita", I mean the whole Grand Valley area. That includes the areas west of Fruita along Hwy 70 to Palisade. Lots of great riding there, you can pick up the mapbook from the bike shop in Fruita (don't forget to get pizza at the Hot Tomato, it's heavenly). Palisade has lots of wineries as well if you're into that sort of stuff. We stayed at a B[HTML_REMOVED]B in Palisade the last time we were there and toured wineries and meaderies on our days off. Wicked trip that I highly recommend.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 29, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

I should clarify. When I say "Fruita", I mean the whole Grand Valley area. That includes the areas west of Fruita along Hwy 70 to Palisade. Lots of great riding there, you can pick up the mapbook from the bike shop in Fruita (don't forget to get pizza at the Hot Tomato, it's heavenly). Palisade has lots of wineries as well if you're into that sort of stuff. We stayed at a B[HTML_REMOVED]B in Palisade the last time we were there and toured wineries and meaderies on our days off. Wicked trip that I highly recommend.

Hot Tomato in Fruita and Paradox in Moab…

Aug. 29, 2012, 11:33 a.m.

hey everyone, thanks for the input so far.

i did up a quick travel planner last night to compare driving distances and times between some of these spots as i'm trying to cut down on as much extra travel as possible. i'm starting off in south lake tahoe and then heading east. initally i thought fruita was closer to c-springs, so now i'll need to find a couple days worth of riding around colorado springs where i'll be sometime during the week of oct 1-6.

so what i'm tryign to sort out is how many days should i spend in these areas considering the type of riding they offer. i tend to prefer tech terrain but do enjoy buff singletrack and the views that typically come with that type of riding.

so, number of days in:

downieville, 2?
south lake tahoe, 2?
moab, 2-3?
fruita/grand junction, 3-4?
park city, 1?
colorado springs, 2-3?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 29, 2012, 12:12 p.m.

hey everyone, thanks for the input so far.

i did up a quick travel planner last night to compare driving distances and times between some of these spots as i'm trying to cut down on as much extra travel as possible. i'm starting off in south lake tahoe and then heading east. initally i thought fruita was closer to c-springs, so now i'll need to find a couple days worth of riding around colorado springs where i'll be sometime during the week of oct 1-6.

so what i'm tryign to sort out is how many days should i spend in these areas considering the type of riding they offer. i tend to prefer tech terrain but do enjoy buff singletrack and the views that typically come with that type of riding.

so, number of days in:

downieville, 2?
south lake tahoe, 2?
moab, 2-3?
fruita/grand junction, 3-4?
park city, 1?
colorado springs, 2-3?

I'll look to get some feedback for C-Springs. I was never enamored enough to ride there, but some friends live there and ride frequently. If you can get a day between fruita/GJ and C-Springs, you should consider a ride in the mountains Aspen/Breck/Keystone area. Lots of options, spectacular vistas, and possibly changing colors.

Aug. 29, 2012, 12:49 p.m.

I'll look to get some feedback for C-Springs. I was never enamored enough to ride there, but some friends live there and ride frequently. If you can get a day between fruita/GJ and C-Springs, you should consider a ride in the mountains Aspen/Breck/Keystone area. Lots of options, spectacular vistas, and possibly changing colors.

aspen and area is a possibility. until i connect with my buddy who's going to c-springs to see what his schedule is going to be like that part of the trip is a bit of an unknown right now. the only reason i'm even considering going to c-springs is because he'll be there on business.

thanks for the input. once my dates are hammered down we should see if we can conncect for a ride somewhere along the way.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 29, 2012, 12:55 p.m.

If you want buff singletrack with superb vistas, have your buddy hop in his car and meet you in Crested Butte. I think it’s a 3 hour drive from Fruita and Colorado Springs. At the least, it could break up the long drive. I’ve been there a couple times in late September and been treated to some spectacular fall colors. God damn…I love me some Crested Butte!

Aug. 29, 2012, 1:41 p.m.

If you are in the Santa Barbara area you must ride Tunnel. The exposure is both amazing and terrifying. Minimum 8 mile descent, rocky dusty and steep in areas. Priceless views. Drop by a shop and ask to purchase a map of the front side trails. It's a classic trail, but has been at the centre of hiker/biker battles for years. Try to link up for a shuttle, unless you like a 13 mile switchback road climb. Mind you that is amazing in its own right. I climbed up early in the Am thankfully;-) not all of California is buff. San Luis Obispo has a pretty gnarly Tower trail as well. There is a big SLO thread on Pbike, I'm sure guys could lead you up to that one. Amazing views again, very gnarly

tunnel is good, but alittle exaggeration here. the trail drops 2000 feet and is about 4 miles long. exposure is only in a couple places. but it is a very chunky trail indeed.

Aug. 29, 2012, 1:58 p.m.

Yeah, I've been telling people that they should go to Moab for the views, Fruita for the riding.

I disagree, but to each is own. I prefer the riding in Moab, though we always make a trip into Grand Junction for a day at the Lunch Loop trails.

Check out 5 Miles of Hell if you like punishment (just off the 70, west of Moab). Some of the best riding I've ever done anywhere, but requires a certain mindset. It's more of a dirt-bike area but since you have both it might be worth the stop.

Aug. 29, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

I disagree, but to each is own. I prefer the riding in Moab, though we always make a trip into Grand Junction for a day at the Lunch Loop trails.

Check out 5 Miles of Hell if you like punishment (just off the 70, west of Moab). Some of the best riding I've ever done anywhere, but requires a certain mindset. It's more of a dirt-bike area but since you have both it might be worth the stop.

i won't be on a dirt bike, but strafing sweepers, corners and hairpins with this:

fyi i'd rather rip a trail like tnt/bookwus than coast singletrack all day. so the impression i'm getting is more of fruita, less of moab. as i'll drive right through park city i figure i should at least do a day there. the 5 miles of hell sounds interesting as i like punishment on the way up.

i'll most likely be on my sx trail, but am wondering about the viability of my kona explosif instead. or should i just try to bing both.

Ellen Langer

Aug. 30, 2012, 1:41 a.m.

while we're at it does anyone have any tire recommendations for utah/colorado?

i'm guessing my front big earl 2.7 and rear nevegal 2.5 are going to be overkill?

Ellen Langer

Aug. 30, 2012, 12:41 p.m.

Overkill has never killed anyone.