Tyaughton Lakes.....?

June 17, 2009, 8:50 p.m.

Buddy has a chance to do a b/c ride but all he's got to ride is his Big Hit.

Here's the details but they're sketchy:

They're paying $140.00ea for the flight in (there's apparently 18 peeps),
The route out is 60km in length.

He figures, as a working bike courier, he can survive on said bike by adding a telescoping seat pillar and mounting some single ply 2.35s.

IF….there aren't too many beyond category (heh) sustained climbs.

How many fly out ride back tours can there be in the area anyways? Somebody musta' done this one (I'm thinkin' that semi-retired lawyerin' playboy who posts here all the time w/the pretty pictures complete/w climbing graphs?).

Maps, info or anecdotal evidence appreciated……. :)

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 17, 2009, 11:45 p.m.

OK I just did some mucking around and found reference to Tyaxair in one of Counselor Lau's posts.
Must be the Warner Lake tour @ 40km Buddies friends were telling him about….."rolling single track".

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 17, 2009, 11:51 p.m.

I couldn't think of a stupider bike to use on Warner Lake and a shittier way to waste the trail but hey whatever, it's his money to waste. 18 people will be a gongshow. Someone will have a huge mechanical, get eaten by a grizzly etc. So the whole group will be so slow it won't matter bwdik

June 18, 2009, 12:28 a.m.

I couldn't think of a stupider bike to use on Warner Lake and a shittier way to waste the trail but hey whatever, it's his money to waste.

So yeah, ROLLING single-track it is. He just didn't know, and thought that if there were just 2 or 3 climbs and the rest mostly d/h he could get away w/it.
Your comment clarifies things succinctly. :lol: Thank you!

18 people will be a gongshow.

:agree: More than I'd be comfortable with. It'll be a learning experience for them. :rolleyes:

bwdik

:???:

June 18, 2009, 8:35 a.m.

You gotta stop holding your thoughts back Lee, just come out and say what you are thinking.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

June 20, 2009, 12:09 a.m.

Buddy has a chance to do a b/c ride but all he's got to ride is his Big Hit.

Here's the details but they're sketchy:

They're paying $140.00ea for the flight in (there's apparently 18 peeps),
The route out is 60km in length.

He figures, as a working bike courier, he can survive on said bike by adding a telescoping seat pillar and mounting some single ply 2.35s.

IF….there aren't too many beyond category (heh) sustained climbs.

How many fly out ride back tours can there be in the area anyways? Somebody musta' done this one (I'm thinkin' that semi-retired lawyerin' playboy who posts here all the time w/the pretty pictures complete/w climbing graphs?).

Maps, info or anecdotal evidence appreciated……. :)

Does his big hit have a shiver on it?
and its only 12 going. Last year we did it with 12 people and it was great,some of the riders had only limited riding ability on hard tails. We all made it out okay, no mechanicals (touch wood). This year we are planning to get to Warner lake( if wind co-operates), it originally was only going to be 2 flights 8 people however more friends wanted in what are you going to do say no. Tell your buddy to rent an XC rig and run the manufactures recommended tire pressure LOL.

June 21, 2009, 7:57 a.m.

We did it last year with eight people and that was plenty. We took our time and enjoyed the ride out from Warner, but I was surprised at the distance from Warner to Spruce, longer then I expected and more uphill sections but well worth the effort. Would like to pedal up from Tyax next time and do a little more exploring. Awesome ride.

June 21, 2009, 8:12 p.m.

If the only bike I had access to was my bighit, I guess I wouldn't let it stop me from doing the trip (but I'm not the brightest light bulb in the box). A telescoping seatpost makes them a bit less painful to pedal. Lighter tires should help too.

June 22, 2009, 1:12 a.m.

If the only bike I had access to was my bighit, I guess I wouldn't let it stop me from doing the trip (but I'm not the brightest light bulb in the box). A telescoping seatpost makes them a bit less painful to pedal. Lighter tires should help too.

If he wanted to pedal his Bighit I wouldn't stop him either, especially if as Lee said a grizz was after us I'd want other people on big hits as well(survival of the lightest and brightest).
The issue is, he has a shiver on his Bighit and the plane will not take as many bikes with triple clamps they actually don't even want them if you read there FAQ's and now I have said Bighit far to many times.

June 22, 2009, 2:41 a.m.

In a pinch, the bighit could be used to run over the grizz…

The space issue in the plane is a good point. I'm sensing a bike rental/borrowing in his future.

When I did it a few years ago there were six of us plus the guide and that was a good number. Maybe consider splitting the big group up into smaller groups by flight - maybe six per group. Keep everyone separated and put the slowest people on the first flight.

June 22, 2009, 8:31 a.m.

seriously tell everyone to bring a headlamp- and maybe some warm clothes. This has epic written all over it.

June 22, 2009, 9:35 a.m.

Like I said earlier we did it last year with three groups, 4 rider were novices of which 2 had only rode park type paths. They were going to start off before our plane the last one landed but they decided to wait, we ended up waiting a bunch of times as we didn't want to leave anyone stranded. Every time they would catch up we were sucking on the bong my buddy brought :fu:. We did it in 4.5 hours from spruce and had a great time. This year honestly we were only planning on 2 flights but more stepped up however according to the pilot we might not all make it in to Warner as the winds pick up and he can't land, spruce will be an alternate.
In our group we have two industry mechanics a few of us have first aid and we are all experienced riders and with a group this big most wildlife will be long gone before we ever see it.

June 22, 2009, 11:12 a.m.

how's the fire doing up there?

June 22, 2009, 12:30 p.m.

Fully Contained

June 22, 2009, 1:12 p.m.

how's the fire doing up there?

lee seems to be doing ok

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.