Tyaughton Lake Trails and.....and Arctic Dog?

Aug. 25, 2016, 11:32 p.m.

Following on from my NBR thread, a few of us are going to stay on Tyaughton Lake soon. As much as my wife loves our dog, she spends all her time with her and would like a break from her manic ways (the dog, not the wife). I want to take the dawg too but there's no getting away from the fact that doing 8 hour alpine death marches with a Husky cross that gets hot easily would be really stupid. She goes mountain biking with me but I always plan the route so there's running water for her and she's more into tech-gnar than 'sick trail dog edit' type sprinting!

So….I'm looking for routes that I can do potentially on my own with dawg. Ideally not being too far from water. Is Gun Creek Trail an 'out and back' type trail? Looks like Pearson Bench could be a handy connector trail for the likes of the 'Lick' trails and Johnny's Lookout. Then there's Packer D and Slim to None that look to lead to a lake. Am I on the right trail……so to speak?

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 26, 2016, 7:26 a.m.

Molly Dog/Pepper dog is a good loop. Don't recall if there is any water on the the trail so the dogs can cool themselves. Have to go early this time of year.
I wouldn't really wanna take my trail dog on the big death march, if he hurt himself it would be a problem.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 26, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

There arent a lot of options leaving from the lake for a non death march type of ride. The Molly Dog/Pepper Dog loop is probably your best bet. If you are looking for a full day (without the dog) you could do a Taylor Creek / Camel Pass / High Trail / Molly Dog etc…. kind of loop.
Chances of encountering a bear are pretty high out there, so make sure your are prepared for what you dog may or may not do if you should come across one.

Aug. 26, 2016, 1:29 p.m.

In consideration of wildlife [HTML_REMOVED] safety hazards related to bears, dogs should not be taken into the park.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/south_chilcotin_mts/

Aug. 26, 2016, 7:45 p.m.

Thanks peeps.

The trails I was looking at including the 'Dogs' (I think?) are not in the Park so no issues with dogs there. She's seen bears before and isn't bothered either way, although she growled at the statue of one on Lonsdale a while back…. No growling at real ones though. She'll be close to me, and on leash if needed. I'm not too bothered about riding epic trails, just want to chill with my hound and cruise around….hell even 'gravel grinding' will do :)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 26, 2016, 7:49 p.m.

just want to chill with my hound and cruise around

I feel you.

Aug. 26, 2016, 9:32 p.m.

there will not be a lot of water flowing down low this time of year. Pearson creek. you could ride up the road to lick lower and have Pearson creek to soak in a couple time. it's a maze down low and no maps do it justice.

there are a bunch of trails around mowson and Pearson pond as well.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.