Trailforks moving to a subscription model

Aug. 30, 2020, 9:17 a.m.

https://m.facebook.com/KamloopsBikeRidersAssociation/

$35.99 per year?

Can't see anything official on Pinkbike. Anyone know anything about this?

Aug. 30, 2020, 11:08 a.m.

“Thanks for giving us the data friends!”

Aug. 30, 2020, 1:45 p.m.

One of the Trailforks guys was commenting on PB the other day. $1.50 per month.

Search for the user Radek on this page.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/mikelevy/blog/the-pinkbike-podcast-episode-20-mtb-conspiracy-theories.html

Sept. 2, 2020, 2:05 p.m.

Meh, $18/year, worth it to me, TF has been awesome to use over the years. Strava is $10/mo.

Sept. 3, 2020, 11:47 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Meh, $18/year, worth it to me, TF has been awesome to use over the years. Strava is $10/mo.

This is the early adopter rate, from what I understand.  From 'launch' of Pro until September 22 it's $18/year (for life), but the cost will increase $36/year after the promo period ends.  

Yes, the trail data is user provided, but the development of the app/maps/product and the hosting does cost money.  Seems reasonable to me in order to keep the service running and help them expand functionality.

Sept. 3, 2020, 12:18 p.m.

A friend asked me about “PinkBike/Trailforks”... not because he rides but because he is wealthy and was inquiring about a very early round of investing.  That was at least a year and a half ago.

The writing was always on the wall they’d be charging.  This is my line of work and I’m well aware of the costs.

I just take issue with companies taking in user generated content with the intent of putting it behind a paywall.

If you believe they won’t be forced by their shareholders to maximize profit in the coming months/years, well...

Sept. 3, 2020, 1:56 p.m.

I just take issue with companies taking in user generated content with the intent of putting it behind a paywall.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but most users who will have submitted data will still have full access to their data via their "home" area (3600 sq km!).

Sept. 3, 2020, 5:04 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but most users who will have submitted data will still have full access to their data via their "home" area (3600 sq km!).

I never followed up to see if the round of funding went through... I assume it did, and if so the above is the thin edge of the wedge as the investors demand returns.

Sept. 3, 2020, 11:14 p.m.

I take it the “Trail Reporting” feature was to get community buy-in.

Sept. 4, 2020, 7:06 a.m.

I'd like to see an option where you could travel outside your 'area' and download the area that you were currently visiting for a small fee (for a limited time).

Because let's be honest. How many of us need a map of the whole of BC? I'd guess the majority of riders only leave their riding area a few times a year.

Last edited by: Kieran on Sept. 4, 2020, 7:07 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 4, 2020, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I'd like to see an option where you could travel outside your 'area' and download the area that you were currently visiting for a small fee (for a limited time).

Because let's be honest. How many of us need a map of the whole of BC? I'd guess the majority of riders only leave their riding area a few times a year.

This. Set it to expire in a year, with x percentage going to trailforks and the rest going to the cycling association.

Sept. 4, 2020, 1:19 p.m.

The full world map is always available on your computer, the limited map area is just on your phone. The home zone is a 60km x 60km square, which kinda sucks if you live in metro Van considering places like Pemby, Whis, SSC and the Valley are all potential day rides and would be out of your home zone. A pay to play option would be cool so if you go to Pemby for the day you could say pay a $1 and you'd have access for 36hr or something like that. That would be a fair compromise IMO for the occasional day trip. If you go more often then it's worth it to opt in now at half price and pay the $1.50/month or whatever it works out to.

Sept. 5, 2020, 10:42 a.m.

I spent thousands on my bike I'll figure out a way to do 1.50/month on the app I use a ton. Although with full features available on website, you could probably get by just checking things out on laptop. Maybe even view the website on desktop mode with a phone.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Sept. 5, 2020, 10:44 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 5, 2020, 10:56 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

The full world map is always available on your computer, the limited map area is just on your phone. The home zone is a 60km x 60km square, which kinda sucks if you live in metro Van considering places like Pemby, Whis, SSC and the Valley are all potential day rides and would be out of your home zone. A pay to play option would be cool so if you go to Pemby for the day you could say pay a $1 and you'd have access for 36hr or something like that. That would be a fair compromise IMO for the occasional day trip. If you go more often then it's worth it to opt in now at half price and pay the $1.50/month or whatever it works out to.

I think that's why they set it at that size :)

I just don't like paying for something that I wouldn't honestly use that much, having kids limits my day trips anyway, so a pay-by-use option would work better for me.

Sept. 5, 2020, 12:02 p.m.

I think that's why they set it at that size :)

I just don't like paying for something that I wouldn't honestly use that much, having kids limits my day trips anyway, so a pay-by-use option would work better for me.

For sure, but I would guess that most areas don't share the same concentration of trails as the S2S corridor so they probably figured that a 60km² would be all that most riders need. I think a pay to play option would be a good feature, the question is whether that nets them a higher or lower income stream than subscription only. With the site up and running long enough they've probably analyzed usage to determine what's going to be the most profitable payment system. It's the same for most businesses really, there's a sweet point at where you make the most net profit. It's a balance of finding the highest price that people will pay that also allows you to retain the right number of customers. A business is probably willing to lose a small percentage of customers to increase their overall profitability by charging a slightly higher fee. Like a few people have mentioned already, when you have a $6k bike, paying $2/month for unlimited access to trail info anywhere, anytime, is pretty damn cheap. Personally I find it funny how cheap we can be over certain things considering the overall cost of participating in this activity. It's the same mindset that keeps people from paying $50/yr to be a member of their local trail association.