The 2005 Ripper Triple Crown Lee and Bryan Route revisited.

Aug. 14, 2013, 11:49 p.m.

I was never able to participate in the Ripper Triple due to work at the time, and nostalgia was at the front of my head. So after scanning the internet for recounts of the day, I found this.

It was the ride report from Lee Lau and Brian Berg, a classic day out it seemed. I thought that it would be fun to try and follow it with some minor variations. You can read Lee's account and see where we deviated

So I contacted all my riding partners and only one person wanted to give it a shot. We decided that on Sunday the 11th, we would give it a go. I on a 1x10, and meat on 1x9

Both on 29'r hardtails, we left the coffee shop at Kingsway and Broadway, headed for the Second Narrows. The rain hit on the Dollarton, and we were fully soaked in seconds, and stopped when we were on Seymour Parkway. We decided if we were to go to CBC, we should just stick to the road for time savings.

It was a great day with some blood, lost bolts on brake calipers

The route was as follows: CBC-TNT-Dirty Diapers-Ned's(lost one brake caliper mount screw)-Greenland-Bottletop-LSCR- Lynn Valley Bikes- Mountian Hwy(I hate the full climb, it seems so tough- Executioner-Dreamweaver-BP-Prospect road-Cleveland Dam-Millstream trail-Cypress road to 4 parking lot-Blind Skier-SGS-Antagonizer-Slippery Canoe-Pull Tap-Upper Tall Cans-BLT bail out-Upper levels-Lions gate-West End(for food).

All told about 77+k and 2499m of climbing. A solid day out ever with a far bit of road traversing.

The garmin track if you care to see it.

The Elevation Profile

I was so stoked to complete it at the top of Cypress and so was my riding partner. (I am cheesing on the left)

Next year, more trails, maybe SFU.

Aug. 15, 2013, 12:32 a.m.

nice work!

total time?

impressive that you added the rides across the bridges.

that makes lee and bryan's ride look like a weenie trip.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 15, 2013, 6:50 a.m.

Now. Look for mattj and brian's true triple ride.. B looked way worse after that…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 15, 2013, 7:23 a.m.

That was just an epic race. Miss those good times. Anyone hungry?

Aug. 15, 2013, 7:29 a.m.

some people dont like it if you mention that sandwich thing…

Aug. 15, 2013, 8:02 a.m.

nice work!

total time?

impressive that you added the rides across the bridges.

that makes lee and bryan's ride look like a weenie trip.

Total time, 8:41with three long stops due to lost tourists in the LSCR, and a bike shop stop to get a new caliper bolt, and bonking in the British Properties.

6:27 moving time.

Aug. 15, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

Sounds like a nice little ride. ;) Not familiar with all of the trails but some. Probably couldn't keep up with you nowadays… :)

Aug. 15, 2013, 3:03 p.m.

Sounds like a nice little ride. ;) Not familiar with all of the trails but some. Probably couldn't keep up with you nowadays… :)

Shit, my ride was a Swiss warmup. I am sure you could still drop me on the climbs, and descent in Basel.

Aug. 16, 2013, 11:46 a.m.

Shit, my ride was a Swiss warmup. I am sure you could still drop me on the climbs, and descent in Basel.

Well, we'll have to settle that if you ever have to come back here. Or whenever I'll make it to Van again…

Aug. 17, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

Seriously jealous - I have been dreaming of such a ride for a loooong time. If I should ever come to Vancouver again (which I seriously hope!!!!) then I'd love to go for it. Although I'd probably wet me before the ride.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Aug. 31, 2013, 6:41 p.m.

Nice to see Matt on a mountain bike hitting the trails. How were those road sections with the limited gear ratios?

Aug. 31, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

Nice to see Matt on a mountain bike hitting the trails. How were those road sections with the limited gear ratios?

Not bad at all because it was mostly up or down. A couple spots in West Van and on the way to Seymour we spun out but really it was about the journey not the speed.

Sept. 3, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

Nice work. So many possible variations of the Triple Crown.

I keep looking at the maps and thinking of routes to link up the biggest suffer fest possible.

Sept. 3, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

the best would be to do burk and eagle and then get a boat to shuttle you across to deep cove and continue on from woodlands.

I can do it but ill only transport the bikes, you have to drag your ass accross in canoe while i hekcle you and drink beer

Sept. 3, 2013, 12:52 p.m.

the best would be to do burk and eagle and then get a boat to shuttle you across to deep cove and continue on from woodlands.

I can do it but ill only transport the bikes, you have to drag your ass accross in canoe while i hekcle you and drink beer

I will take you up on that next year!!!!! I wanted to do this, but had no boat availability