South Chilcotin - Lorna to Spruce

July 19, 2018, 11 a.m.

Posted by: skidrc

yes, lots. there is an old spike camp at the junction. watch out for bears.

to add, it's in the trees beside the creek, the trail 'junction' sign post is usually laying in the grass, you'll go right through the meadow towards the treeline along the creek

Sept. 7, 2018, 10:48 a.m.

To complete the loop, Tyaughton ended up being a great bit for the novice crowd. Definitely rolling terrain, but I thought it flowed very well in the downhill direction. Buff even. Can see where it would be a slog in the uphill direction.

Also, just got back from a 4 day spell with a couple nine-year-olds. In Relay, up Graveyard, out little paradise. Pretty cool to see the calming effects a place like this has on kids.

Sept. 7, 2018, 4:25 p.m.

Awesome.  Just did this with my 9-yr-old too.  Lorna Pass was a tough push, but Tyaughton, Gun Meadows etc were the best!  Camped at that spot you guys mentioned above.  All good!  Stoke was high.

Sept. 8, 2018, 10:26 a.m.

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

To complete the loop, Tyaughton ended up being a great bit for the novice crowd. Definitely rolling terrain, but I thought it flowed very well in the downhill direction. Buff even. Can see where it would be a slog in the uphill direction.

Also, just got back from a 4 day spell with a couple nine-year-olds. In Relay, up Graveyard, out little paradise. Pretty cool to see the calming effects a place like this has on kids.

Did you go out Little paradise and back to Relay, or out paradise creek? I've been looking at Relay to graveyard and up little graveyard pass then back out relay. Wondering on elevation and difficultness of trail. We almost got caught out climbing Paradise creek to castle pass as it was only 1000m vert according to trail forks but was quite slow going due to being somewhat techy singletrack.

Last edited by: nortonwhis on Sept. 8, 2018, 10:26 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 9, 2018, 10:15 p.m.

Posted by: Timv

Awesome.  Just did this with my 9-yr-old too.  Lorna Pass was a tough push, but Tyaughton, Gun Meadows etc were the best!  Camped at that spot you guys mentioned above.  All good!  Stoke was high.

That's dope, Tim.  Trying to picture a 9-year-old pushing Lorna:-)  Good on you.

As an aside, you aren't by chance Tim of Vanier dirt jump fame, are you?

Sept. 9, 2018, 10:21 p.m.

Posted by: nortonwhis

Did you go out Little paradise and back to Relay, or out paradise creek? I've been looking at Relay to graveyard and up little graveyard pass then back out relay. Wondering on elevation and difficultness of trail. We almost got caught out climbing Paradise creek to castle pass as it was only 1000m vert according to trail forks but was quite slow going due to being somewhat techy singletrack.

Starting from the campsite at the beginning of Relay, we went out Relay Cr. to the Graveyard cabin, picked up Graveyard Ck. trail, then up/over little graveyard pass, and down little paradise creek trail back to Relay. Very rideable loop and not very technical.  Relay was a bit muddy in spots but mostly rideable. The Graveyard Ck. bit to the little graveyard ck turnoff was in great shape (as it was when I road it a couple years ago) and totally climbable for the kids. Little graveyard was also in fantastic shape and super rideable for the kids until the last push to the pass. Little Paradise Ck. was great riding in the treed sections but there was a section about midway down that was pretty overgrown. I'm not sure how it would have felt doing it without the kids but it was a personality building opportunity for our group:-) Literally, pushing bikes through thicket for what felt like an eternity (not paradise).

Depending on fitness, the loop is probably rideable over the course of a long day but why would you ever want to? The Graveyard drainage is a place to spend time wandering;-)

Sept. 10, 2018, 10:17 a.m.

Thanks Henry, appreciate the beta.

Would love to be able to spend multidays out there, and its definitely in the forecast. Currently don't have the best setup for making that happen, and that fast and light stuff dont come cheap! But yeah hopefully next summer I can convince my gf that camping in grizz territory is totally fine...

Sept. 11, 2018, 6:46 a.m.

Posted by: Tim

That's dope, Tim.  Trying to picture a 9-year-old pushing Lorna:-)  Good on you.

Making Vanier Great Again.

Joyride pump track coming this fall.

Sept. 11, 2018, 9:49 a.m.

Posted by: nortonwhis

Thanks Henry, appreciate the beta.

Would love to be able to spend multidays out there, and its definitely in the forecast. Currently don't have the best setup for making that happen, and that fast and light stuff dont come cheap! But yeah hopefully next summer I can convince my gf that camping in grizz territory is totally fine...

I hear you.  I've been able to collect pretty good gear over the years. But, don't let the marketing get to you.  40L pack and toss it all in;-) I'm likely done for the year but look me up next year if your gf isn't having it.

Sept. 11, 2018, 9:49 a.m.

Posted by: Timv

Posted by: Tim

Making Vanier Great Again.

Joyride pump track coming this fall.

Saw that posted on the dirt jump coalition facebook page.  Would love an MVGA hat.  Make it happen!

Sept. 27, 2018, 6:15 p.m.

Kind of off topic, but relevant to the last few posts:  October 1st was supposed to be the start date for Joyride Bike Parks pump track expansion at Vanier. The City has hired a contractor and they are ready to start Monday (outside of the migratory bird nesting season).

A few local "eagle enthusiast" NIMBYs have caused yet another delay (this time may be the end) of the construction due to the "possibility" that the eagles may re-nest in the bike park.

The original project proposal addressed all these concerns: removal of invasive species, planting of native species, retention of ALL existing healthy trees, and scheduling to avoid the migratory bird nesting season.

PLEASE email support to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] about why you think a pump track should be built. Even just a few sentences! We really need your help on this right away! Thanks!

click link for more info including link to the full, detailed 2016 proposal with the original tree retention plan, forest revitalization plan, etc.