Smithers - Sunday Aug 23rd - recommendations?

Aug. 21, 2015, 1:17 p.m.

Hey folks, I'll be passing through Smithers this weekend and planning to spend Sunday riding.

Any recommendations for a visitor wanting to hit the highlights?

I'm a pretty standard blue/black Shore, Squamish, etc kinda rider who likes uphills (I'm slow) and downhills. Tech, flow, it's all good.

I can't commit to anything too gnarly since I'm supposed to be fit for work on Monday.

If anyone wants to sacrifice their Sunday ride to show a new guy around that'd be cool and the post-ride beers are on me!

Also: anyone have any recommendations for a bike-friendly hotel?

Aug. 21, 2015, 3 p.m.

Hey folks, I'll be passing through Smithers this weekend and planning to spend Sunday riding.

Any recommendations for a visitor wanting to hit the highlights?

I'm a pretty standard blue/black Shore, Squamish, etc kinda rider who likes uphills (I'm slow) and downhills. Tech, flow, it's all good.

I can't commit to anything too gnarly since I'm supposed to be fit for work on Monday.

If anyone wants to sacrifice their Sunday ride to show a new guy around that'd be cool and the post-ride beers are on me!

Also: anyone have any recommendations for a bike-friendly hotel?

The Bluff trail system will have you covered in all regards, a couple of real nice climbing lines and quick and fun descents. As well as a great view of the Valley from the top of Broken Axe. The trails are really well marked but a grab a map from any of the 2 bike shops in town.

Trackside Cantina for some tasty post ride Mexican food too.

Aug. 21, 2015, 4:40 p.m.

As a Simpsons fan I have always found it ironic that Smithers is fairly close to Mr Burns Lake.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 21, 2015, 5:27 p.m.

Paging Xxx'er or Lionel hutz

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 21, 2015, 7:46 p.m.

The Bluff trail system will have you covered in all regards, a couple of real nice climbing lines and quick and fun descents. As well as a great view of the Valley from the top of Broken Axe. The trails are really well marked but a grab a map from any of the 2 bike shops in town.

Trackside Cantina for some tasty post ride Mexican food too.

Right on, that sounds perfect! Thanks.

Question: how dumb would I be to camp around there? Forecast shows it may be rainy and cooler, which I'm fine with (also I'm not above bailing out and heading for a motel if necessary).

Aug. 21, 2015, 8:42 p.m.

Yeah weather doesnt look great, you could find a motel and wheel your bike in a ground floor room or camp at the town camp ground (coming from the east go right on main st) down by the riverside

to get to trailhead for lotss of flowing xc start heading up the ski hill, cross the tracks using the overpass, take the next right, follow it around and you come to the main trail head, there will be signs with the trail maps posted and all the trails will be rated, you start up on a road in general the LH side will be easier and the RH side will have the harder stuff

for food Track side is good but since those reviews were written other options have openned, if you dig trad EI food tandoori on the hyway is very good Fusion on 4th is west indian/EI fusion, also a couple of sushi joints

enjoy!

Aug. 21, 2015, 11:03 p.m.

There is some really good riding in Burns Lake, Smithers and Terrace.

check out here for our write up
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/smithers-terrace-burns-lake-road-trip-2010.html

more terrace
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/terrace-trails-more-biking-in-north-central-bc-2014.html

The Aspen would be a good hotel to stay at, they have ground level rooms and a good restaurant attached that included breakfast in the winter, might also for summer.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Aug. 21, 2015, 11:20 p.m.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Looking forward to the visit.

If anyone sees a stranger on a raw Transition Suppressor, stop and say hi!

Aug. 22, 2015, 1:04 a.m.

Breakfast also included in summer. 2nd trackside. And masa Yama.

Aug. 22, 2015, 7:25 a.m.

The aspen has ground level seperate entrances to the rooms [HTML_REMOVED] the pub is a cool room, they have some craft beer on tap and the waitresses are real nice

Aug. 22, 2015, 7:12 p.m.

The Aspen it is!

After the long drive the idea of camping in the rain and cold didn't appeal.

Thanks all!

Aug. 24, 2015, 3:06 p.m.

How was the ride, did u like the trails, how was the Aspen, sunday was the Grand openning of the Dirtjump park with free burgers so the trails might have been more deserted than normal

Aug. 24, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

How was the ride, did u like the trails, how was the Aspen, sunday was the Grand openning of the Dirtjump park with free burgers so the trails might have been more deserted than normal

Had a great time!

Spent the morning lapping the trails off Uptrack. Especially liked Long Way, Penetralia, Aunti Flo, etc.

After lunch at the Alpenhorn, I spent some time going around in circles on All Screwed Up and Soul Stripper, then followed Meanstreak to the lake. Returned back to Uptrack and did more laps there until I finally called it quits.

Unfortunately by the time I returned to the hotel, showered, etc, the Trackside Cantina was closed. Actually it seemed like almost everything was closed, so I returned to the Alpenhorn.

All told, I had a great time. I was really impressed with the Bluff trails and happy to see they're in pretty good shape.

I'm in Prince Rupert now, working. Usually I fly for work but I think I'll make this drive more often.

:beer:

Aug. 24, 2015, 4:45 p.m.

Nice, You should try to get to Terrace and ride Terrace mt, or Copper

if you're on facebook check out
https://www.facebook.com/groups/217968354914691/

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Aug. 25, 2015, 8:35 p.m.

good! Burns lake also has some great trails [HTML_REMOVED] good camping