Scotland

March 4, 2017, 8:06 a.m.

I posted this on the old forum first, but with the new forum online - here I go again.

I am planning a trip to Scotland (possibly Wales as well) for mid April to beginning of May. The general idea is to take a cheap ferry from either Dunkirk or Calais to Dover and drive up to Scotland either straight up North through England, or through Wales. I plan on sleeping in the car/camping, self supported so that the only thing I need to buy is Whiskeys and beer. Want to take my Stylus with me.

I want to check out some trail centres and ride as much as possible, with the odd running/hiking trip thrown in for good measure.

There are quite a few spots I want to ride at, as well as visiting Bruichladdich and Ardbeg on Islay, Talisker on Skye and Glendronach.

Has anyone of you been to Scotland quite regularly, any recommendations/tips/ideas/input/warnings.....anything is welcome.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on March 4, 2017, 8:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 6, 2017, 4:44 p.m.

I grew up there but haven't lived there in about 15 years. The downhill track at Fort William is supposed to be good but was in it's infancy when I left. Glentress and Innerleithen are fun. There's a pretty good overview here. I've heard there is some great riding in Wales but never ridden there. 

Sleeping in the car and camping should be fine. As with anywhere, be careful with your bike, especially in the cities. One thing to beware, in some of the more rural areas, short distances can take a long time to drive (but I think you live in Europe so that probably won't come as a surprise).

In terms of distillery's, Edradour would be on my list: small, great whisky and centrally located (near Pitlochry). If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

March 7, 2017, 5:31 a.m.

Thanks for the info. 

I have heard that travelling in Scotland can be slow-ish, kind of like in the North of Sweden. 

I am used to the highways in central Europe. A couple of hours and I could have a coffee anywhere, from Paris to Bruxelles, Warsaw, Hamburg or Milano. 

As far as the bike is concerned, I plan on not going into the cities, more like a rural trip. I hate navigating big cities with the bike on the rack. Parking usually sucks and cities tend to be crowded anyways. 

And I definitely lock it with a steel cable on a Thule which in turn can be locked as well. 

Never tasted the Edradour, heard the name but....now I am curious.

March 9, 2017, 7:26 a.m.

I'd give Talisker a miss and try to hit Lagvulen if you can.  I ride with a bunch of Scotts and they say the first 2 weeks of June is the best time to go and to carry a knife in Glasgow.

March 9, 2017, 8:32 a.m.

Posted by: jitenshakun

I'd give Talisker a miss and try to hit Lagvulen if you can.  I ride with a bunch of Scotts and they say the first 2 weeks of June is the best time to go and to carry a knife in Glasgow.

Posted by: jitenshakun

Hmm...locals telling others to carry a knife reminds me of the time I spent in Galway. I'd never do that. Knife fights are very ugly very fast. 

Early summer, see if I can organize it. 

Keep the ideas and feedback coming, guys.

March 12, 2017, 2:14 p.m.

Try and avoid midges! Given the choice of being eaten by a Grizzly or Midges, I think I'd take death by Grizzly. Last rode down Fort Bill DH track circa 2005 on a GT LTS with V brakes.....and experience I still remember.... There's also an easier DH trail there now too though. Great drive up there.

For southern Scotland, this might be helpful:

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/activities/mountain-biking/7stanes

Yeah I got punched off my feet in Glasgow for speaking in an English accent.... Fist came from nowhere while just standing on a street corner.

March 14, 2017, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Try and avoid midges! Given the choice of being eaten by a Grizzly or Midges, I think I'd take death by Grizzly. Last rode down Fort Bill DH track circa 2005 on a GT LTS with V brakes.....and experience I still remember.... There's also an easier DH trail there now too though. Great drive up there.

For southern Scotland, this might be helpful:

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/activities/mountain-biking/7stanes

Yeah I got punched off my feet in Glasgow for speaking in an English accent.... Fist came from nowhere while just standing on a street corner.

Thanks.

I fucking hate midges but imagine they cant be worse than up in Sweden.

The more beer I have had the more Irish I sound. Might be useful.

Last edited by: Mic on March 15, 2017, 9:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling. All wrong.
March 14, 2017, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

I fucking hate midgets but imagine they cant be worse than up in Sweden.

why must you discriminate against little people?

holy damn, my avatar is huge.

Last edited by: xy9ine on March 14, 2017, 2:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 14, 2017, 8:40 p.m.

Thankfully it wasn't a swarm of midgets biting at my legs when peeing out of a tent at 3am..... :D

March 15, 2017, 9:53 a.m.

Bwahahahaha.

I got the point. Took a while though.

Aaaand fixed.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on March 15, 2017, 9:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.