Riding & paddling spots recommendations

April 20, 2019, 11:26 a.m.

To my partner, kayaking is what riding is to me. Therefore, we are always looking for spots where we can do both. Our ideal spot has:

• Access to calm waters (lakes, inlets, bays, etc.)
  • Access to mtb trails
  • Parking nearby
  • Bonus for camping nearby

As my partner doesn't drive due to a medical condition, we strongly prefer places where we can just park and both start and end our journey right there.

So far, we really like the following spots:

Deep Cove 👍
Close to home, and we have a go-to spot that is usually quiet and has parking right at the beach.
She can paddle Indian Arm, mostly calm water, lots of little spots to paddle to (islands, beaches), lots of sea life (seals).
I can ride Seymour, end with a Darkside lap and finish at the beach, awesome.

Porpoise Bay, Sechelt 👍
Provincial park with camping, beach, showers.
Beach access straight from the parking/campground.
Coast Gravity Park is close by, possible to ride there from campground, the road climb sucks but there is a good chance to get a lift from other CGP visitors. Ride a little bit further for Huggies which descends all the way back to the campground, awesome.
Ideally, the paddling partner shuttles the riding partner up to CGP and drives back to the PP.

Ellison Park, Vernon 👍
Provincial park with camping, beach, showers.
Beach access from campground, requires short hike down steep path.
MTB trail access from campground, connects to Predator Ridge trails, awesome.

We both liked Kalamalka Lake, Vernon 👍 and Three Blind Mice / Okanagan Lake, Penticton/Naramata 👍 but didn't find a good parking spot yet where we can easily start and end both our journeys. Any tips welcome!

We didn't like Golden Ears PP / Alouette Lake 👎. There are some trails open to bikes but they're not that good. Kayaking on the lake was OK although it was very windy.

One potentially good spot is Comox Lake near Cumberland. Looks like there is a private campground. I know the trails are good, anyone knows how the camping and paddling are?

If you know any other good spots in BC or WA, please share!

Thanks!

April 21, 2019, 1:39 a.m.

Consider Buntzen Lake and Eagle. You’d probably want to drop her off at the lake tho and then drive over to the access points for Eagle trails. There are trails that will bring you back to the lake but the pedal up from the lake is a bit of a bigger climb, kinda depends on how long you want to be out for.

Last edited by: syncro on April 21, 2019, 1:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 22, 2019, 10:56 a.m.

Thanks. She has paddled on Buntzen Lake and it's pretty small. Québécoise women are very picky about their lakes!

Never ridden Eagle so I definitely need to do that sometime.

April 22, 2019, 12:27 p.m.

Posted by: niels@nsmb.com

Thanks. She has paddled on Buntzen Lake and it's pretty small. Québécoise women are very picky about their lakes!

Never ridden Eagle so I definitely need to do that sometime.

In that case you could consider dropping her off at Belcarra park and then driving over to the Eagle trail heads. Rocky Point could also be an option too.

Last edited by: syncro on April 22, 2019, 12:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 23, 2019, 8:04 a.m.

The first place that came to mind for me was The Boer Mtn trail network in Burns Lake. Park/camp at Kager Lake rec site and ride and paddle from there. Kager lake is small but options on both Burns and Decker lakes which are also close by. Bit of a drive to get there for sure but the riding is outstanding. Could break up the drive with a couple of stops along the way: Williams Lake and Fort St James where Stuart lake is right at the base of the trails too.

April 23, 2019, 8:22 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

In that case you could consider dropping her off at Belcarra park and then driving over to the Eagle trail heads. Rocky Point could also be an option too.

Those could be nice options to try, thanks!

Posted by: bikesandbarley

The first place that came to mind for me was The Boer Mtn trail network in Burns Lake. Park/camp at Kager Lake rec site and ride and paddle from there. Kager lake is small but options on both Burns and Decker lakes which are also close by. Bit of a drive to get there for sure but the riding is outstanding. Could break up the drive with a couple of stops along the way: Williams Lake and Fort St James where Stuart lake is right at the base of the trails too.

Thanks! That could be a great camping/riding/paddling road trip. There is so much in BC we haven't seen yet.