Riding in Victoria

July 19, 2018, 1:30 p.m.

I am on the Island for the next week. I know nothing. Any intel much appreciated. 

I'll hopefully be linking up with my buddy sometime next week for some stuff up the island, but would love to spend some days in and around Victoria. 

Emphasis on the knowing nothing.

July 19, 2018, 4:27 p.m.

I know more than nothing. Right in Victoria, main zone is Hartland which is an established bike park with a lot of trails scattered all over, pretty fun IMO with an emphasis on rocky tech I guess, a couple of built up flowy ones as well, can link up single track climbs or grunt up fireroads. Also partridge hills similar area. There is new stuff at bear mountain out in Langford, that's all come up since I've moved from Victoria, kind of ironic as there was old bike trails there ages ago destroyed by the golf course development and now they're putting trails in again.

If you're ok with an hour or so drive, Sooke (harbourview)  and Duncan (maple mtn or tzouhalem, Prevost if you are interested in gnarly dh) are awesome too

Last edited by: Kevin26 on July 19, 2018, 4:28 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 22, 2018, 9:50 p.m.

Hartland can be really fun. There is some great tech stuff. If you have a couple of hours here is your loop:

up regional trail north, down trillium for a warm up -> up sidewinder to Northridge -> Jelly roll and then up breathless (yes it will make you this and not because of the view) -> huge ribbon (baller trail!) -> left on southridge and down hot cherry (double blacks were OK on a fully rigid hardtail) -> fire drill to little face and down small craft warning to inventive to mother hucker and out.

If you don't have as much time climb switchback for bragging rights and go across dave's line (another classic) then take some of the double blacks back to the car.

There is another area in Victoria called partridge hills which is fun but I see that the trails were taken down off of trailforks which makes it hard to navigate this rat's nest. I think Oak bay bikes has a weekly group ride here - you could try calling them.

Finally, take a day and go to duncan and do maple syrup on maple mountain. Best 2 hours you will spend on your bike in a long time.

Have fun!