Powell River intel?

April 2, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

Some friends and I heading to Powell River for the May long weekend this year. We have heard the xc trails there are endless and awesome!

Anyone here from Powell River or spent time riding there? some trail information and/or good ride plans (3 days worth) would be awesome!

Also, best places to stay for mtn bikers?

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated…

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

April 2, 2012, 2:24 p.m.

Suncoast Cycles sells 3 maps of different riding areas for literally pennies, like $5 for all 3.

flickr

April 3, 2012, 7:18 a.m.

Check out bikepowellriver.ca for some maps and ideas. Also, if you hop on facebook to Powell River Cycling Association you'll find lots of locals ready to ride and guide you and give you some ideas.

The 2012 BCBR course is a great day of riding. You can easily do a 2nd day in and around that area to hit all the sweet trails there. For another partial day I would hit the maze of trails that is in what we call the Penticton trails network right close to town. Penticton St / Ontario St is the jump off point for that network.

Another place to ride is the Branch 10, Marathon trail, Appleton trail network, etc north of town.

April 3, 2012, 9:06 a.m.

Yes we have more trails than you can possibly ride that week-end! Some of us troll the Club's FB page but the maps on bikepowellriver.ca are the best you can get.

April 3, 2012, 12:24 p.m.

Thanks for the information. have booked accommodation and now excited to head up there and explore!

April 3, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

friends who moved from the shore to pr claim most of the riding to be had is pretty tame, "ontario xc styles." they took me to branch 41 on my only visit, apparently the most technical decent to be had thereabouts. it was fun, but bring your little bike

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 3, 2012, 12:50 p.m.

message punky for the lo down..

April 3, 2012, 9:10 p.m.

Branch 41 stuff is ancient. Lots has been built elsewhere since then but you need to know someone local to find it for good reason. Saskatchewan XC? Really? Tell that to Dre and the BC Bike Race guys and they'll laugh you out of the room. We've had to tame the race course down for 2012.

April 3, 2012, 9:52 p.m.

Don't forget to go to the Westview (Zoo) on Saturday night!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 3, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

AussieDreamZ, it is true that we are more xc than shore but feedback from BCBR racers living on the west coast is that it is perfect, while visitors from elsewhere (such as Ontario) cry about the gnarly roots, climbing etc. We have hundreds of kilometres of trails, the maps show some of them, and for most you'll love it on a 4 or 5 inch travel…but then a visitor from Nanaimo last week-end loved it on his carbon hardtail singlespeed 29er. so just come and have fun. BTW, my son-in law who lives and rides on the shore loves coming here to ride.

April 4, 2012, 8:13 a.m.

Sounds perfect then! I really enjoy some variety in my riding, which is why the idea of heading to Powell River came up (plus I heard the trails were pretty sweet ;))

I get plenty of gnar here on the Shore, so it's nice to get out and ride some other fun trails! I will be on my Element so it sounds like the perfect bike for the job. Thanks for all the info.

April 5, 2012, 9:42 p.m.

Branch 41 stuff is ancient. Lots has been built elsewhere since then but you need to know someone local to find it for good reason. Saskatchewan XC? Really? Tell that to Dre and the BC Bike Race guys and they'll laugh you out of the room. We've had to tame the race course down for 2012.

How does Dre describe it? "Rolling Thunder!"

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

April 27, 2012, 5:48 p.m.

Don't challenge any kids driving shitty lifted trucks to a game of chicken on the logging roads that weekend. You'll lose!

April 27, 2012, 5:53 p.m.

sucker…

guess they forgot you was on the rep team?

April 27, 2012, 6:01 p.m.

Nope.

Just assume its still a grade 12 tradition to go get loser pissed that weekend up at Dodd Lake