Portland riding/dining tips

Sept. 1, 2018, 1:46 a.m.

Going to Portland for a week. Driving down from Van with bikes. Not going to stop in Washington as i've ridden there enough. Any recommendations of "not to miss" trails? We were going to hit hood river area on the way. we will Ride everything except shuttle and flow trails. 

Also, if you know any great places to eat, we like eating more than biking. In fact most of our biking is so we can eat more ;)

Thanks for any advice

Sept. 1, 2018, 10:16 a.m.

Sandy Ridge outside of Portland is pretty good biking. I would also throw in a day at Black Rock if you can. I enjoyed both those places much more than Hood River.

I remember being really impressed by the food at Deschutes back in the day.
La Petite Provence SE Division for great french bakery and breakfast with a really good coffee shop (Stumptown i think) just across the street while you wait for a table
Jam on SE Hawthorne for breakfast too.
Hub brew pub somewhere SE as well. Good beers and food.

Haven't spent much time there in the past 4 years so maybe things have changed, but these were all super popular back in the day

Last edited by: nortonwhis on Sept. 1, 2018, 10:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 1, 2018, 12:14 p.m.

I always enjoy the Rogue pubs.  +1 for HUB, great taster trays.

Sept. 1, 2018, 6:03 p.m.

Good gawd there is so many places to eat there. If you like mexican Ironhourse is top knotch.

Sandy ridge, and Black rock are good fun to ride.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Sept. 1, 2018, 6:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 1, 2018, 11:49 p.m.

Thanks alot for the advice. Anyone ever ride the alpine trail at oakridege or the Mckenzie river trail?

Sept. 2, 2018, 11:48 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Thanks alot for the advice. Anyone ever ride the alpine trail at oakridege or the Mckenzie river trail?

Yep. Alpine is great fun. So is Lawler. Moon point also good, but maybe not as good. Though all are shuttleable and very flowy. There really isn't much tech in OR

Lots of fires down that way but you might get lucky with wind direction.

Last edited by: nortonwhis on Sept. 2, 2018, 11:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 2, 2018, 5:35 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Oakridge is good fun, Alpine trail is fast and easy... If you wanna ride a endlessly lame flat trail for 20 miles, MRT is for you. Some people love it, I thought it was a waste of a day.

3 restaurants we loved when in Portland in June.

Ironhorse- Mexican

Kati Vegan Thai - Spicy Thai food, was killer good.

Que Pasa Cantina. Mex place. Next door is this tavern called High Dive. 2 Great spots

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Sept. 4, 2018, 1:17 p.m., edited 2 times in total.