New-to-Vancouver UBC student wants to ride

Sept. 19, 2011, 12:19 a.m.

I'm new here.

And I'm probably doing this all wrong. If there's a thread somewhere around here that I missed in my search with all the things I'm looking for, then I would much appreciate that you include a nudge in the general direction I should be heading along with the "REPOST n00b" a number of ski forums have taught me to expect.

Anyway, the important bits:
I come from riding in the Sierra and around San Francisco, and now I'm a first year at UBC. I know there's a wealth of awesome trails; I'm even familiar with the Fromme maps… but I don't know of a particularly good way to get there, other than the bus.

Frankly, I don't like the idea of my Reign X being on the front of a bus for an hour and a half, each way. This is a shamelessly self-promoting beggar's callout to the kind rider who lives near UBC ("near" as defined by anywhere short of downtown) and has room for another bike-and-dirtbag combo, as well as an inquiry regarding any other random tidbits pertaining to riding on the shore.

Thanks,
Peter

sparknotes: UBC student wants to ride, doesn't know where to begin and doesn't trust the bus with his expensive bike.

Sept. 24, 2011, 9:11 a.m.

…but I don't know of a particularly good way to get there, other than the bus.

The bus is an awesome way to get there. You should use every opportunity to take advantage of your U-pass. I always stand right by the driver when I'm on the bus with my bike, that way I can run out and beat down anyone that tries to take my bike (not that that has ever happened to me in 5+ years of using the bus to ride). You could also bring a small U-lock; they wont let you lock your bike to the rack, but you can lock up the wheel so it can't be ridden away. Failing that, you could get out there and you know, pedal your bike there. It takes ~1hr to get from UBC to N.Van. use the seabus as a short cut.

Coles notes: get out there and ride while the riding is good, by any means necessary.

If you want someone to brave the bus with, I commute from Marpole and ride Fromme/Seymour every weekend, send me a PM.

it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun

Sept. 24, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

Check out the vancouver mountain bike meetup group. http://www.meetup.com/vancouver-mtb/

Sept. 24, 2011, 9:49 a.m.

Thanks for reassuring me, pwrslm, and for the tip, clownmitts.