Nelson - Trail and Camping recommendations

Aug. 21, 2019, 11:05 a.m.

As a follow-up, we did two rides:

Mountain Station pedal: climbed up Badger, Honey, Shasta etc. and rode Skirt, Fat Chance, Tiger Buckle/Five Knuckle, Legalize It. Awesome trails, nice steep fall line tech with well built jumps and drops. Surprised some of the stuff was rated blue, could be a rude awakening even for people used to Sea to Sky blues.

Powerslave shuttle: got dropped at the lower entrance to lower part of Powerslave, shuttle guy said upper wasn't worth the ride but I think next time we would go for it anyway. Bottom part of Powerslave and Bear's Den outstanding trails, more fall line tech with fun doubles, option lines and cool wood work on Bear's Den. Pedaled up Toughnut which was a grindy climb that mellowed higher up. Got confused by a new logging road and missed Upper Goldmember, jumped into Lucky Charms and Gold Rush, fun more rocky trails and then into Waldorfian which was awesome steep tech, highly recommended.

Nelson is amazing, so glad I got to finally ride there. Will be back every summer for sure.

Aug. 21, 2019, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Mountain Station pedal: climbed up Badger, Honey, Shasta etc. and rode Skirt, Fat Chance, Tiger Buckle/Five Knuckle, Legalize It. Awesome trails, nice steep fall line tech with well built jumps and drops. Surprised some of the stuff was rated blue, could be a rude awakening even for people used to Sea to Sky blues.

Powerslave shuttle: got dropped at the lower entrance to lower part of Powerslave, shuttle guy said upper wasn't worth the ride but I think next time we would go for it anyway. Bottom part of Powerslave and Bear's Den outstanding trails, more fall line tech with fun doubles, option lines and cool wood work on Bear's Den. Pedaled up Toughnut which was a grindy climb that mellowed higher up. Got confused by a new logging road and missed Upper Goldmember, jumped into Lucky Charms and Gold Rush, fun more rocky trails and then into Waldorfian which was awesome steep tech, highly recommended.

Nelson is amazing, so glad I got to finally ride there. Will be back every summer for sure.

Headed there next week. Who shuttled you up to Powerslave? Did you try the Vein trail at Mtn. Station? Looks super techy :)

Aug. 22, 2019, 8:29 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Headed there next week. Who shuttled you up to Powerslave? Did you try the Vein trail at Mtn. Station? Looks super techy :)

I rode the Vein when I was there in June. I found it to be worthwhile, a fun, steep loamy rip. It's a light double black (as opposed to the blues in that area, which could be blacks). If you want steep and fast, also check out Space Junk. It's steeper than the Vein, though not as long.

Aug. 22, 2019, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Not sure the name of the company, my buddy who lives there arranged it, give Sacred Cycles a call as that is where we met the dude who drove us up and they will know.

My buddy said the Vein is cool but a bit of a trek to get to and back from... we had limited time (dad life) so didn't get out there. Good to hear it's not super crazy though, like DC said some of the blues on Mtn Station would easily be blacks on the shore/sea to sky. 

Nelson rocks.

Aug. 23, 2019, 8:19 p.m.

Yes. Love Nelson. Funny how it reminds me so much of the Cove. Steep streets down to the water. Stoked to be there next week.