Posted by: superman_4
I just got back from 5 days in Nelson/Rossland. My thoughts:
- My 3 Favorite trails in Nelson were Newtsac (great blend of slabs and woodwork) & Morning Sickness (fantastic slabs) @ Kokanee Park, and Upper/Lower Skirt (fast and perfectly loamy dirt) at Mountain Stn.
- Mtn Station is a terrific trail network, everything there is great; in addition to the Skirts try TNT, Eli Sim, Smiling Buddha, Fat Chance, Tiger Beef. I hit almost every trail at MS and there wasn't a single one I didn't enjoy. Honestly it wouldn`t be a bad strategy to dedicate 2 whole days to MS and just knock off as much as you can
- Turnstyles is very ALine-esque. If your only doing 1 run at Morning Mtn I`d almost do something else, the jumps are pretty big and unless you`re a very confident jumper it`s the type of trail you`d want to do multiple times to dial-in. Maybe do it if you can follow a local who knows the speed for the jumps well
- I didn`t love Paper Bag, it wasn`t really fast/flowy enough to be that type of trail (too many loose flat corners and baseball sized rocks to carry good speed), yet not really tech enough to be challenging in that sense either. Depends on the style of trail you prefer, I like either maximum speed/flow, or ultra-tech, I found PB to be neither
- If you`re going in the next couple weeks 7 Summits may be snowed-in still. I`d contact a shuttle company in Rossland to find out for sure
- I really enjoyed SMD and Whiskey in Rossland, both are of the fast and flowy variety, not super tech, but lots of opportunity to go real fast
I lived in Nelson for a couple of years.
This is all pretty good advice.
Rossland is OK but Nelson has way more quality trails. Do Whisky on the rocks to whisky. crown point is pretty good. 7 summits is a must do but not really that great at the same time. I thought SMD was overrated.
Nelson is where to spend your time. Each area is a little different
Agree that mountain station is golden - my favorite trails. The vein is the classic. My favorite loop was skirt, fat chance, tiger beef, legalize it
Morning mountain - turnstiles is the one everyone will talk about but it is just a million berms and tabletops. most can't ride it fast enough to gap the table tops. My favorites were highball to bedframe. on the other side I agree with goldmember to lucky charms to gold rush.
svobova - the classic is paper bag. I love the top 1/2. the bottom half is just a brake burner. Another loop is to do log jam to una canuna to hippy killer.
There is camping in town in Nelson. You can walk to the bars.