Need some suggestions for Roberst creek laps

Aug. 30, 2014, 9:55 a.m.

I have a friend visiting from Cali next weekend and she wants to try mountain biking. She is a total noob but is really eager to give it a go. She does triathlons and does back country boarding/skiing so I think she will be tougher and more adaptable than your typical beginner. I was thinking about heading over to Roberts creek or heartland on the Island. I have never ridden either of these places so I don't know what the trails are like. The plan is rent her a bike Saturday morning then do some riding then find a nice place to camp that's hopefully scenic and a bit remote but also not really far away. Does anyone know if there is something alone those lines?

Basically looking for a place not crazy far away from Van. withing 3 hrs. with easier mountain biking options and some spectacular camping close by, and somewhere to rent a bike.

Sept. 2, 2014, 11:32 a.m.

seems like it would be better to start riding in cali, then come up to bc when you are skilled and confident…

but if you're going to learn here, the sunshine coast is a good place. if she's fit i would suggest riding up the b[HTML_REMOVED]k logging road and then down highway 102/sidewinder, etc. its a longer ride but scenic, fun and accessible

for camping, try smugglers cove, about 40k north of gibsons. very scenic, feels more remote than it is. there's also a campsite somewhere close to sechelt that is right next to a bunch of xc trails, but i'm not sure the details

not sure if you can rent a bike in gibsons or sechelt. google is your friend

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 2, 2014, 8:01 p.m.

Sean (i think that may be your name)

Boomforreal has it right in regards to camping. Smugglers cove is awesome… real west coast type camping.

In regards to trails, I would stay away from Roberts Creek and actually hit up West Sechelt. They have some more gradual trails that can be ridden in any direction. Look up Parbec/Brokebec/dropbac/duracell/4D/Skullduggery/easy street. area…

If you want, you CAN camp at Homesite Creek (near Smugglers Cove) its not on the water but it's beside a trail :) Just around Homesite Creek is a trail called "cabin trail". It takes you up and over to a logging road (trail called Deliverance) that would then connect to a logging road that leads to the West Sechelt trail network. trailmapps covers this area and is quite valuable when it comes to finding your way.