Nanaimo Trails?

June 17, 2010, 9:46 p.m.

Rode Abyss, Humility, Keiths. A fun rolling loop.

Any idea how long this loop might take?

My wife and I are going to a wedding in Parksville this weekend… I figure we might as well get a gentle ride in before the Ferry on Sunday morning.

Oct. 15, 2015, 11:11 a.m.

Thread resurrection…

Is Doumont still Poomont? Got a buddy in Nanaimo to ride with when I am on the island for work trips. Guessing it's worth the drive to Hammerfest or Cumberland instead? I'll be heading up to Campbell River for work so would rather not go south to Prevost/Tzouhalem this trip.

cheers

Oct. 15, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

Check the Nanaimo Mountain Bike Club on Facebook. There are a lot of new trails worth checking out.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 15, 2015, 12:38 p.m.

it depends on the riding you want to do, but the xc trails past the abyss are a fun loop.
westwood lake has had a bunch of work adn expansion to it, but again, more xc.

doumont is doumont, there is always biosolids somewhere. a bit of new logging in up the road towards the end of hayden. not sure of impact on trails though.

Oct. 15, 2015, 1 p.m.

Thread resurrection…

Is Doumont still Poomont? Got a buddy in Nanaimo to ride with when I am on the island for work trips. Guessing it's worth the drive to Hammerfest or Cumberland instead? I'll be heading up to Campbell River for work so would rather not go south to Prevost/Tzouhalem this trip.

cheers

http://www.island.net/~pmcgarri/

I was out there this week, and it smells like there hasn't been a fresh application of poo in quite a while. Tis the season though. Typically it's the old north side trails that get hit. The more ridden south side stuff are typically free of the poo.

I was able to sneak by the logging (off hours) to get up to the ridge. Hayden likely is ok, but the exit might be affected, also the access to ASOP (awesome trail).

Hammersfest is awesome right now, as is Maple. The climbing trail on Maple is to the top now. Sorry sea to sky, this is how to make a climbing trail. Not too many places where I'd consider the climb to be the draw, but it's amazing. And of course feeds into a great XC descent.

Oct. 16, 2015, 7:10 a.m.

i'm glad the climbing trails leads to the top!
that road climb is soul sucking every time.

Oct. 16, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

The last section is very fresh, but open. don't worry, you can still ride the other FSR to Toni's Arbutus Ridge;) Actually I think the new climb can access that as well at the 1/2 point. Toni's is still a really good short loop starter, and clear right to the bottom, albeit slightly overgrown lower down. A lot of fresh work on Maple syrup as well.

I heard Benson has a new one from the peak, ridden it? Every time I'm back there I do the usuals but Stickboy says Meat Draw is worth the climb.

Oct. 16, 2015, 11:40 a.m.

The last section is very fresh, but open. don't worry, you can still ride the other FSR to Toni's Arbutus Ridge;) Actually I think the new climb can access that as well at the 1/2 point. Toni's is still a really good short loop starter, and clear right to the bottom, albeit slightly overgrown lower down. A lot of fresh work on Maple syrup as well.

I heard Benson has a new one from the peak, ridden it? Every time I'm back there I do the usuals but Stickboy says Meat Draw is worth the climb.

i haven't gone up there yet. just getting over a stretch of non-riding. it's on my to ride list before the weather turns. maybe sunday…

Oct. 16, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

maybe sunday…

The Maple Mountain, Island Cup Enduro is on Sunday… so it maybe busy.

total scam. he put food before beer.

Oct. 16, 2015, 4:48 p.m.

so much uphill on the downhill….

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Oct. 16, 2015, 7:07 p.m.

The Maple Mountain, Island Cup Enduro is on Sunday… so it maybe busy.

was thinking meatdraw. but i need to get to maple too!

Oct. 16, 2015, 7:31 p.m.

so much uphill on the downhill….

Yeah it scorches the legs. Has such great sections though. Whenever I head there I do two laps to make the trip worth it (when I'm in Nanaimo) and I'm always completely done at the end. Arbutus ridge is a nice starter loop. Isn't ridden much, looks about the same as it did 10-15 years ago;-)

Oct. 16, 2015, 10 p.m.

Meat Draw for sure. Hit up FTR to RollerCoaster as well. Goldilocks conditions right now.

Oct. 25, 2015, 4:44 p.m.

got up to Meatdraw this morning … good times. almost worth the road climb!