Nanaimo Trails?

May 19, 2010, 7:52 p.m.

Heading to the island and spending Friday in Nanaimo. Where should I head for trail information?

May 20, 2010, 1:48 p.m.

not sure about shops

Tzouhalem and Cumberland are my faves on the island

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 20, 2010, 3:29 p.m.

Hey, it's been a while since I've ridden in Nanaimo, and I'm only really familiar with the Doumont Rd. trail system.

You can check out maps here: http://www.island.net/~pmcgarri/ (http://www.island.net/~pmcgarri/doumont.PDF - direct link). What sort of riding are you into? My favourite loop was riding up the road to where Upper Armageddon starts, and doing either Upper Armageddon or Scott's Trail, then pushing up Killer Climb for a bit and riding down Upper Cripple Creek, onto Lower Cripple Creek, then riding Mary Jane and Flow Show.

If you push all the way to the top of Killer Climb, there are some more DH oriented trails in Gravity Cavity (which leads to the start of Monkeys in the Mist and Lower Cripple Creek), Face of Death (which leads onto Monkeys), Crazyhorse (onto Monkeys again), Whatsitsname (leads onto the road at the bottom of Monkeys/Cripple Creek) and Kiera's Trail (which also leads onto the road). Also, there are a few trails on the opposite side of the road that are new and I'm unfamiliar with, but seem to flow better, and dump you out near the bottom of Kiera's and Whatsitsname.

Hope that helps a bit.

May 20, 2010, 4:20 p.m.

I ride pretty much anything and everything. I'll have my 5x5 and just want to string together a loop for a couple hours. I'm bringing my 53 year-old Dad, who rides plenty in Ontario, but it would be nice if he sees 54.

Thanks for the map link, huge help.

May 20, 2010, 4:23 p.m.

We are actually heading to Comox/Cumberland/Forbidden Plateau. Where is Tzouhalem?

not sure about shops

Tzouhalem and Cumberland are my faves on the island

May 20, 2010, 4:30 p.m.

Tzouhalem is in Duncan

Posted via Mobile Device

Loud Hubs Save Lives

May 21, 2010, 8:57 a.m.

I ride pretty much anything and everything. I'll have my 5x5 and just want to string together a loop for a couple hours. I'm bringing my 53 year-old Dad, who rides plenty in Ontario, but it would be nice if he sees 54.

There's a lot of XC-ish riding on the other side of the road, but I'm not that familiar with the trails. Also, on a 5 x 5 some of the more DH trails may not be as fun as they could be - specifically Face of Death and Crazy Horse.

I'd maybe recommend the first loop I suggested - up the road, down Upper Armageddon, up a bit to Cripple (or Monkeys), down the road a bit to Mary Jane. You can either head back to the road at this point (if you park at the Motocross track, you'll be above the vehicle), or ride Flow Show, which will spit you out onto the road below the vehicle.

May 21, 2010, 9:36 a.m.

Maps for Cumberland / Forbidden

http://www.cvmtb.com/index.php/trails-maps/maps/

Printed copies are available in Cumberland and most of the bike shops in the valley.

The guys at Dodge City Cycles can draw out some nice loops in Cumberland.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 21, 2010, 3:22 p.m.

I thought Doumont was a giant shithole. Quads, burnt cars, garbage, the constant whine of 2 stroke, sewage literally spread on fields, animal carcasses, broken glass, shotgun shells, mtb trails getting roosted, bonfire pits, cars broken into in the parking lot etc… Some trails were fun but everything around them makes it suck overall

its far from comox/forbidden/cumberland anyway

May 21, 2010, 3:30 p.m.

I thought Doumont was a giant shithole. Quads, burnt cars, garbage, the constant whine of 2 stroke, sewage literally spread on fields, animal carcasses, broken glass, shotgun shells, mtb trails getting roosted, bonfire pits, cars broken into in the parking lot etc… Some trails were fun but everything around them makes it suck overall

its far from comox/forbidden/cumberland anyway

Yup - it's called Poomont for a reason…

"those are research biosolids to see if they can grow trees faster."

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 21, 2010, 8:08 p.m.

Dumont sucks, although there are a few fun stunts over there. Provost is where its at if your in that neck of the woods

May 21, 2010, 8:37 p.m.

south end of town … the abyss is a great trail.
way better then poomount

May 22, 2010, 7:56 a.m.

Yup - it's called Poomont for a reason…

"those are research biosolids to see if they can grow trees faster."

I know the smell is awful sometimes, but has anyone actually checked out the Biosolid display in building 370* at VIU? It explains the project in pretty high detail, including the contents of what they spray.

Fecal matter of any sort is not included - at least, not from my recollection (and that's what I was looking for, because I had heard the rumour as well). It's basically a glorified compost.

I always lived North end, so Doumont is all I know. What's the Abyss like?

*I should note that the Biosolids display was up while I was a student in the Biology department there, and that was 5+ years ago. I'm willing to admit that my information on the contents may be out of date, and that the display is no longer there.

May 23, 2010, 8:53 a.m.

Rode Abyss, Humility, Keiths. A fun rolling loop.

Rode Forbidden yesterday, a little more similar to our riding in Squamish. Cabin trail I think?

May 25, 2010, 12:55 p.m.

Abyss/Humility is good, and the trails those connect to are Keith's? Fun

Actually the smell of Dumont is less of a detractor than the general mess that comes with motorized access IMO