Montana - Whitefish et al

June 5, 2018, 10:03 a.m.

What's the riding like in Montana? Anybody ever been?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 5, 2018, 10:20 a.m.

Have a buddy doing Sun Valley - Jackson - then thru Whitefish on way back to BC next week so will get some feedback.

June 5, 2018, 4:20 p.m.

Haven't been myself but a friend's family has a place in Whitefish. Their pics on social media look awesome, mix of open/flowy Kamloops/Kelowna style (but with Moisture) and tech stuff. Sun Valley looks awesome in the PB promo video posted today on the front page.

June 5, 2018, 7:13 p.m.

In 1967 I visited an Auntie who lived in Whitefish and rode in their speedboat!

Last edited by: tungsten on June 5, 2018, 7:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 25, 2018, 7:54 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Have a buddy doing Sun Valley - Jackson - then thru Whitefish on way back to BC next week so will get some feedback.

any feedback yet?

Aug. 1, 2018, 8:18 p.m.

I was working in Cranbrook a few years ago and everyone raved about Whitefish! I also heard they had some riding so we went down for a weekend. Neat little town. Kind of a kitchy cowboy thing - very touristy. The trails were almost 100% machine built. I can't remember if they ever run their lifts but I rode up the ski hill and went down the highly recommended trail. Decent uphill. The downhill would be a blast on a full sus bike but I was on a hartail and couldn't carry the speed for the 10-15' table tops. Also, I hate spending an hour up for a 8 minute downhill but some may like it. We also went and pedaled miles and miles of their "singletrack" which was mainly machine built low grade trails they called "blue square."

There was also another area that we couldn't get a map for and this was before the proliferation of trailforks but I think it is more technical.

Coer D'alene is another town just over the boarder in Idaho that we checked out. The town was a bit bigger and had a little more going on. The trail riding was more to my liking with more hand cut single track etc but still didn't compare to anything in BC. Also, don't go there in hunting season as hunting > biking in the US, therefore you may get shot as the hiking/biking trails become hunting trails. Also note that a white helmet dancing along a trail looks like the but of a white tail dear. FYI.

Aug. 17, 2018, 8:25 p.m.

"butt", thanks!

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 17, 2018, 8:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.