Merritt/Iron Mountain Advice

June 3, 2015, 12:13 p.m.

Last year I did a shuttle on Iron Mountain that took me down 99er [HTML_REMOVED] Treats [HTML_REMOVED] Choke Whistle [HTML_REMOVED] 3 Shot Willow [HTML_REMOVED] Godey Steeps [HTML_REMOVED] Just Can. Some parts of this were a bit overgrown but overall it was a really fun descent.

I'm heading back next month. Trailforks shows a trail called Upper Resurrection that starts at roughly the same elevation but it doesn't have a description. Has anyone ridden this trail? Is it a better option?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 3, 2015, 1:24 p.m.

Maybe they meant Upper Revival. It runs from the top, down into Chrispys Connection and into 99 about halfway down. Mid revival (the log yard) starts about 20 meters from the 99/Chrispys junction. Mid Revival is old school, but relatively new. Skinnies. Drops. Gaps. Wood. I like it (although I'm partial as I built it). From there you can tie back into choke whistle/lower treats/the tyrant. (Tyrant is nutty. 20' high log rides etc). 98 proper off the north tower is fun, down into Bunker Berms/upper Godey. Off the south tower you can ride Heroic Doses into Lost Boys. It's a fun late evening ride as the sun sets on that exposure.

June 4, 2015, 3:32 p.m.

Maybe they meant Upper Revival. It runs from the top, down into Chrispys Connection and into 99 about halfway down. Mid revival (the log yard) starts about 20 meters from the 99/Chrispys junction. Mid Revival is old school, but relatively new. Skinnies. Drops. Gaps. Wood. I like it (although I'm partial as I built it). From there you can tie back into choke whistle/lower treats/the tyrant. (Tyrant is nutty. 20' high log rides etc). 98 proper off the north tower is fun, down into Bunker Berms/upper Godey. Off the south tower you can ride Heroic Doses into Lost Boys. It's a fun late evening ride as the sun sets on that exposure.

Not the first time Trailforks has veered a long way from reality. I trust that you know more than Trailforks - it was your directions that got me to the top of Iron and back down again last summer. Thanks for that!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 17, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

I'll be there July 22 to 25, looks like mostly shuttle for riding Iron Mountain? Wouldn't mind parking up off Fox Farm road, hitting the trails down to the Info centre, then ride back up Fox Farm to the vehicle. Wondering if this works, or where to park for a shuttle only ride. Working Trailforks site pretty hard, but start spot is tough to figure out, need directions if possible. Thanks,

July 17, 2015, 5 p.m.

Hey bud. There is no real way to the top of iron via fox farm Rd without getting very lost. Your best bet is to either shuttle from the very top via comstock rd on the coq or to strictly ride the (all mtn) info trails up from info centre. There is a trail (unmarked) that traverses from too much info thru the grasslands into upper godey. From there you could pedal/push up godey (left) to the road (go down it) and pick one of a few steep options back into godey. Your best bet for a bottom vehicle shuttle drop is on the west side of the coq. Your ride will end thru a culvert under the freeway. I'm away at work or i would show you around. Try the Merritt mountain biking Facebook page for potential riding buddies. It's a big mountain with lots of fun trails. A local guide would be best.

July 17, 2015, 9:06 p.m.

The trail labelled "Upper Resurrection" is actually more of a route that is 3 trails linked together I believe.
http://www.trailforks.com/region/iron-mountain/

I've given some locals admin access over Iron, they added some missing trails, but haven't cleared up some of the other stuff like above.

Anyway this route is pretty different than the other stuff like "Upper Revival". Its much more of an AM than DH bike route. Some pedal spots and its kinda overgrown in spots, much less traffic.

NOTES
The road to the top was fine with an AWD SUV.
"Rotary Wankle" was closed due to trail work.
"Fifi's Nasty Little Secret" is a fun steep trail!

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

July 18, 2015, 6:49 a.m.

I don't know where upper resurrection came from. It's called Heroic Doses. The bottom half is called lost boys from the quad trail/powerline down. Over all we just call it heroic. Rotary needs an exit built. Has for years. I haven't found the time. Otherwise it's a really fun, steep trail. Just have to hump your bike a bit at the bottom. I can't comment as to blow down status.

As an FYI we have a forest fire closing in towards the top of the info trails as of last night. It's a ways off right now and generally the prevailing winds blow away from it but it was moving uphill in a south westerly direction last night.

It was probably some douche bag that threw a butt out the window on the old Hamilton hill road that parallels the coq connector.