Looking for Chilcotin Recommendations from Lorna Lake

April 29, 2011, 9:34 p.m.

So I'm planning my second trip to the Chilcotins this year and am looking for a route recommendation. Last year we did one float plane drop to Warner Lake and then two and half days of riding the "local" trails. The plan is similar this year but the thought is that for our float plane drop we'd like to do a drop at Lorna Lake.

Looking at the maps, it appears that there are three main options:

1. Lorna Pass, Deer Pass to Trigger Lake and then do much of the ride we did last year via Gun Creek Trail
2. Lorna Pass, Tyax Trail to Spruce Lake, then down to Gun Creek Trail
3. Lorna Pass, Tyax Trail to Spruce Lake, High Trail/Windy Pass and then out via something like Lick Creek (which we did on a different ride last year).

Any thoughts on these routes? I want to do it in a day with a group of fit skilled riders, mixed males and females.

I'm thinking that #3 might be a bridge too far with Windy Pass being a high climb relatively late in the ride. So #1 and #2 are my favorite options but I'm torn. How good is the Tyax trail? Is the Deer Pass descent worth the extra climb over riding Tyax trail?

April 30, 2011, 2:34 p.m.

Deer pass is my favorite, highly recommended, bit of a grunt though.

May 18, 2011, 3:24 p.m.

lorna -[HTML_REMOVED] deer -[HTML_REMOVED] lick. why not ;)

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

May 19, 2011, 7:44 p.m.

Lorna-Deer Pass. You won't be disappointed, just real tired.

May 19, 2011, 9:11 p.m.

Deer pass is my favorite, highly recommended, bit of a grunt though.

Lorna-Deer Pass. You won't be disappointed, just real tired.

Sweet. Sounds like it could be a Mission… but a cool one.

June 30, 2011, 12:40 p.m.

Agree that Option 1 Deer pass is the way to go. Amazing view from the top of Deer Pass… and then a great downhill rip to the valley floor. Payback for the b1tch of a climb/hike to get to the top of Deer…

Aug. 4, 2011, 4:44 p.m.

Man, your question is identical to the one I was going to ask! Did Warner last year with a detour up windy pass and down. Going to try one lake further this year and land in Lorna. Have you gone on your trip yet? We're heading this weekend.

I've been recommended by my local friend that option #1 is hands-down the way to go. Do you have any gps map of your ride or know where to get one?

Cheers,

Aug. 4, 2011, 5:38 p.m.

Man, your question is identical to the one I was going to ask! Did Warner last year with a detour up windy pass and down. Going to try one lake further this year and land in Lorna. Have you gone on your trip yet? We're heading this weekend.

I've been recommended by my local friend that option #1 is hands-down the way to go. Do you have any gps map of your ride or know where to get one?

Cheers,

Sorry, no GPS yet… we're heading up for the labour day weekend. Not sure if we'll do Lorna - some of my compatriots are balking on the fitness level required.

Aug. 4, 2011, 5:52 p.m.

Cheers,

PM me your email for the .gpx files for Lorna/Deer/Gun and other rides there.

I did Lorna/Deer/Gun last weekend and there is more snow than usual on the north (up) side of Deer pass but less than one would expect. Funny enough, the snow on the south (descent) side of the pass was more of an impediment. Ps the wildflowers are pretty amazing right now. While you are there, be sure to do the Taylor/Windy/Spruce loop - the Windy descent to Spruce is in the best condition I've ever seen it.

Aug. 8, 2011, 3:27 p.m.

Heading up for first time next weekend… stoked for sure. First year with a proper bike for the XC. Here's a good general map I found and we have the goods from Lee Lau himself.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/south_chilcotin_mts/scm_overview_map.pdf

:canada:

Aug. 10, 2011, 8:26 a.m.

With respect to a float plane drop, how much longer of a ride would it be for a skilled and fit rider to return from Lorna Lake via Windy pass as compared to a Warner Lake drop?

We are booked for a Warner drop in late September, however Lorna has now piqued my interest. Thanks in advance.

d

www.fvmba.com

Aug. 10, 2011, 9:01 a.m.

no more lorna flights this year. the parks mandated number of allowed drops is booked already. nice line if you could pull it off though. lots of options out there if you know the area. warner deer spruce gun creek might tickle your fancy? or stashing a car out relay and finding it ;)

Aug. 10, 2011, 9:14 a.m.

no more lorna flights this year. the parks mandated number of allowed drops is booked already.

shit, really? we were going to try mid-week for Paulo's birthday in a couple of weeks….

Aug. 10, 2011, 5:23 p.m.

shit, really? we were going to try mid-week for Paulo's birthday in a couple of weeks….

if your already booked then its all good. if not SOL

Aug. 11, 2011, 12:55 p.m.

if your already booked then its all good. if not SOL

apparently not the case as Paul talked to Dale today and he's still taking bookings for Lorna…