Leg Armour Makes Awesome Splints

Nov. 27, 2006, 5:02 p.m.

The surgeon says that they'll wire the bone together and that the wire will stick out of my skin so that they can just pull them out with pliers after 4 weeks!

tooo much information

Nov. 27, 2006, 5:08 p.m.

The surgeon says that they'll wire the bone together and that the wire will stick out of my skin so that they can just pull them out with pliers after 4 weeks!

cool!

Can I do it for you!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 27, 2006, 7:57 p.m.

Wrist guard wouldn't have helped. Although the xray LOOKS like its a broken finger, that's actually the hand bone thats snapped, although I have no doubt that I'll be fine.

I think the biggest problem you will find is getting the strength and mobility back in your wrist after it being immobilized in the cast.

Nov. 27, 2006, 9:18 p.m.

I think the biggest problem you will find is getting the strength and mobility back in your wrist after it being immobilized in the cast.

he's got this special exercise he's been working on for many years. he'll wack it back in to shape in no time

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Nov. 28, 2006, 5:08 p.m.

sorry to hear about the injury mate!
glad to see you got photo evidence! cool pic of the trail and good to see you managed a smile still!

heal up quick!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/947312/

Nov. 28, 2006, 5:20 p.m.

Something those who haven't had this type of injury overlook.

The x-ray looks similar to mine from last year, but I did the pinky and no metal was required. Took me almost 3 months of rehab to get on the bike again - even then it wasn't completely healed. I'm still feeling twinges here and there 15 months later.

Do the physio every day, several times/day. It hurts like hell, but no pain no gain.

Nov. 28, 2006, 5:27 p.m.

physio is a must hey!
I fooked up my shoulder a few years ago and all kinds of strange things were going on with it, but phsyio sorted it right out… gotta put in a lot of work tho

Nov. 28, 2006, 8:40 p.m.

Did the same to my 5th metacarpal in a biking crash (pinky side hand bone, also known as a boxer break) and had two pins sticking out for 8 weeks. Got a little infected which was cleared up with antibiotics. After 8 weeks pins were pulled out with pliers. two weeks after that I was climbing lightly again. no problems in the last 10 years…. Good luck.

Nov. 29, 2006, 3:28 p.m.

Did the same to my 5th metacarpal in a biking crash (pinky side hand bone, also known as a boxer break) and had two pins sticking out for 8 weeks. Got a little infected which was cleared up with antibiotics. After 8 weeks pins were pulled out with pliers. two weeks after that I was climbing lightly again. no problems in the last 10 years…. Good luck.

Wow, that's quick. I broke the same one and wasn't climbing for 5 months. How old were you at the time?

Nov. 29, 2006, 8:14 p.m.

Surgery has been done! I'm pretty groggy, but otherwise OK. Apparently the wires weren't appropriate so it's screws and plates. Dunno if that's good or bad. Gotta visit the doc in 2 1/2 weeks and will find out then.

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

Nov. 29, 2006, 10:24 p.m.

Something those who haven't had this type of injury overlook.

The x-ray looks similar to mine from last year, but I did the pinky and no metal was required. Took me almost 3 months of rehab to get on the bike again - even then it wasn't completely healed. I'm still feeling twinges here and there 15 months later.

Do the physio every day, several times/day. It hurts like hell, but no pain no gain.

After the exact same injury, I will be riding this weekend (weather permitting) for the first time in 10 weeks. It's not 100%, but I figure if my hand can take using an air hammer, I can ride.

Nov. 30, 2006, 3:07 p.m.

Chin - good timing, bike trails are snowed in and the skiing is great! Hit it up!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 15, 2006, 3:53 a.m.

hey Doug… whats the latest, how you doing…?

Dec. 15, 2006, 5:43 p.m.

No way! Same procedure for my right hand. But it was 6 weeks.
The look on peoples face when they saw the pin.

I had a cast that I can slide on and off. Good thing cause our daughter was born the next day.

Speedy recovery to ya'.

The wheels on the bike go round and round…. :dizzy:

Dec. 25, 2006, 8:23 p.m.

Heal up! I fell off a frozen bridge awhile ago into a frozen creek. LOVED IT!

that surgery sounds pretty cool though.

oh hai!