Island trails

Nov. 22, 2012, 3:46 p.m.

Hey! I'm trying to plan some riding in December but I'm unaware of what the conditions will be like on the Island. Is it doable? I have no idea about the logistics of my trip yet, sorta just going to wing it. All I'll have is my tent and my bike, but I'm not too keen on getting stood up. Should I take my bike? Not going to any city in particular, just going to make the most of my time away from college and cruise around without much of a plan other than "must-ride" trails.

** Also, can someone show me around too? I'm pretty keen and I'm reasonably non-douchy. I'll buy you a beer. Or sandwich. Whatever you're into. Gas money for anyone who shuttles, too, I don't have a car and I'll be pedaling up everything.

Thanks for accommodating my poor trip planning for anyone that does reply with anything helpful.

Phil.

Nov. 22, 2012, 3:51 p.m.

So the island is pretty big with lots of riding locations in different places…

South island usually stays snow free all year long.

Hornby Island also stays snow free all year long but accommodations can be a challenge.

Cumberland has the Riding Fool Hostel and lots of trails are rideable year round save for the higher elevations. Bus can get you from Nanaimo Ferry terminal to Courtenay and then take the transit bus with your bike to Cumberland.

Nanaimo has a bunch of fun trails and you can probably find cheap accom too.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 22, 2012, 5:43 p.m.

I'd stay in Cumberland for at least a few days and maybe the Duncan area for a few days. You should be OK for snow.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 22, 2012, 6:38 p.m.

trails in Campbell River are in great (and by great I mean super greasy) shape.

Nov. 22, 2012, 7:04 p.m.

Awesome! Thanks guys, yea Cmberland was definitely on my list. Stoked to rip the trails over there. I'll try and make it out to Campbell river, too.

Nov. 22, 2012, 11:24 p.m.

Trailforks has all the popular riding areas on Van island listed and a growing list of the trails w/ gps.
http://www.trailforks.com/canada/vancouver-island/riding_areas

Cumberland should be snow free most the winter, forbidden will get coverned in snow soon
http://www.trailforks.com/riding_areas/cumberland

I always have fun on the wood stunts at "Doumont"
http://www.trailforks.com/riding_areas/doumont

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

Nov. 28, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

oh, and the ripping factor declines pretty seriously around now. ie, the trail conditions may be ride able, but they ain't great, but i guess you've prolly figured that out by now (?)

Dec. 2, 2012, 2:09 p.m.

No, haven't made it out yet. I'm not too concerned about the trail quality, as long as it's ride-able. Kootenay trails are already mostly snowed in until the spring, so I'll take what I can get. I'm heading out on the 12th, and should be on the island by the 20th. I'll post up some pictures of my journey once it's all done. Thanks again for all the help.

Dec. 21, 2012, 3:17 p.m.

What's the state of trails in the Campbell River area (Snowden) right now? Will be there over Christmas with bike… did they get covered with the dump of snow we got in Vancouver this week?

I hope to hit up Hornby Island as well, possibly Cumberland time-permitting…lower elevations still clear?

Dec. 21, 2012, 3:27 p.m.

Currently dumping in CR. 2 ft in Cumberland and more snow today. Bring your skis/snowboard.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Dec. 21, 2012, 3:35 p.m.

Thanks for the head's up Tom P …that certainly changes plans. Packed the snowshoes already…but was hoping for some riding!