Info needed for a french tourist coming to ride the Shore

Sept. 26, 2006, 8:23 a.m.

Hello,

i'm coming to Vancouver next week for some hiking and mtbiking.
Could someone give me some info (directions..) about the best trails around Vancouver and/or Whistler?
I'm not really a freeride guy, I have never done any 6" drops for example, so I guess, i will not dare to try any real "Shore" trails, but rather, single tracks stuff.
Also, where to rent bikes in Vancouver?

Thanks a lot
Ludovic

Sept. 26, 2006, 9:29 a.m.

1) Take 'french' out of the title. ;)

2) Go to whistlerblackcomb.com and there is all the info you need to ride, rent a good mtn bike, etc …

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Sept. 26, 2006, 10:28 a.m.

1) Take 'french' out of the title.
2) Go to whistlerblackcomb.com and there is all the info you need to ride, rent a good mtn bike, etc …

My advice:
1) Ignore Kookboy: about his Frenchy comment and about Whistler-Blackcomb.com being all the info you need (yes, it's a good place to go, but there are lots of other places to ride too)
2)You can find website links about every aspect of riding (from local guides to retail shops that rent bikes to trail info) at http://www.nsmb.com/links/
3) A good place to start for info about trails on the North Shore is http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/
4)I'm not sure which one's, but I think several of the bike stores in North Van rent bikes.
5)Post in the "Ride Planning and Tales" section and ask if someone might be nice enough to show you a trail or 2 (the promise of beer is usually well appreciated ;) )

:canada: :czech:

Sept. 26, 2006, 10:48 a.m.

Hello,
I'm not really a freeride guy, I have never done any 6" drops for example, so I guess, i will not dare to try any real "Shore" trails, but rather, single tracks stuff.

Vancouver is not all about 6 foot drops. In fact you can do a whole lot of Shore riding without ever getting air. What makes the shore difficult is roots + rain + steep. Depending on your confidence level / riding ability, try out Burnaby Mountain (SFU) for intermediate difficulty rides, or Seymour for the easier Shore trails. If you like it and want more, make a trip to Fromme and tick off a couple of the easier trails there.

There are some maps available at the local bike shops (Cove productions) which will help you out.

What kind of stuff do you ride where you're from (what french speaking country are you visiting from?), that could give us an idea as to where to suggest.

Cheers, hope you have a good trip here.

Sept. 26, 2006, 12:23 p.m.

What kind of stuff do you ride where you're from (what french speaking country are you visiting from?), that could give us an idea as to where to suggest.

Cheers, hope you have a good trip here.

I'm from France. I usually ride in the Vosges mountains, which i'm sure nobody here has ever heard of ;)
I like fast single tracks and don't mind long uphills ride. I ride a Yeti 575.
I could say that I am an 'all mountain' rider, enduro, not really freeride or DH, though i may try DH tracks in Whistler where i think they rent all the protective gear with the bikes.

Sept. 26, 2006, 12:24 p.m.

Squamish has tonnes of great single track. Go to the bike shop in Squamish and get a map or a guide. Without either you're guaranteed to get lost in the bush there.

Sept. 26, 2006, 8:08 p.m.

My advice:
1) Ignore Kookboy: about his Frenchy comment and about Whistler-Blackcomb.com being all the info you need (yes, it's a good place to go, but there are lots of other places to ride too)
2)You can find website links about every aspect of riding (from local guides to retail shops that rent bikes to trail info) at http://www.nsmb.com/links/
3) A good place to start for info about trails on the North Shore is http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/
4)I'm not sure which one's, but I think several of the bike stores in North Van rent bikes.
5)Post in the "Ride Planning and Tales" section and ask if someone might be nice enough to show you a trail or 2 (the promise of beer is usually well appreciated ;) )

Hence the ;) . It's called a joke, thank you very much.

ludnsm, as said above, try the Ride Planning and Tales forum.

Or just PM a few guys. I'm sure you'll get a guide easy.

Cove in North Vancouver/Deep Cove has great rental bikes.

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.