Hornby

Oct. 4, 2011, 1:29 p.m.

You seem to make your annual trip on the same weekends we do. Twas a good weekend to ride Hornby, except for bakery being closed. I'll post a vid when I get around to it.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:52 p.m.

We did four days in Whistler: 2 days in the valley and 2 days in the park.

Oh and if anyone finds a Garmin Edge 705 with a scuff on the front screen somewhere on/around Shit Happens, please let me know.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Oct. 7, 2011, 10:06 a.m.

4 dead aliens, test tube, chris and brads, no horses, beer!

Was there this summer with the family. The riding was freakin fantastic. Last time I was on Hornby was early 90's for some XC racing with trials in the barn. Now its with a chariot /w kid and the wife, but still amazing.

All those trails are so buff. The Chariot and wife handled all of them but a few.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Oct. 10, 2011, 1:11 p.m.

https://vimeo.com/30083826

Oct. 9, 2012, 2:43 p.m.

bump for 1st weekend of october hornby awesomeness

andrew and bryce, i don't know if you made it up this past long wknd for your annual trip but it was perfect - blue bird days, dry and buff trails. maybe a bit too dry; lots of driftydrift. spent the weekend following an ex-canada cup xc racer whose been riding mt. geoffry since he was in grade school, eating tonnes of awesome food and breaking in the sauna. omg

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 9, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

Hmmm, interesting how do the trails hold up in winter? Or what do can we do fun in November on Hornby….

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Oct. 9, 2012, 3:43 p.m.

some hornby locals claim winter is the best time to ride. trails drain well, soil soaks up the moisture quickly, and very few off-season riders means little wear and tear. i think we rode most of the mountain over the long weekend, and the trails were fun as hell but loose as fuck - i imagine when they tacky-up they're even better…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 9, 2012, 4:34 p.m.

bump for 1st weekend of october hornby awesomeness

andrew and bryce, i don't know if you made it up this past long wknd for your annual trip but it was perfect - blue bird days, dry and buff trails. maybe a bit too dry; lots of driftydrift. spent the weekend following an ex-canada cup xc racer whose been riding mt. geoffry since he was in grade school, eating tonnes of awesome food and breaking in the sauna. omg

Delayed to the end of November!!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Oct. 10, 2012, 1:36 p.m.

Sick! Thanks for reminding me Omar, it is about time to get back there.

June 26, 2014, 10:11 p.m.

I am heading over there for the first time in 4 years on Saturday. I remember some of the trails I liked (well I liked them all actually), but can't really remember any sort of loop to ride them in so I am looking for recommendations. Also a recommendation for a beginner friendly loop for my bro in law who is coming too. We are staying near the fire hal/community hall.

June 26, 2014, 11:23 p.m.

I am heading over there for the first time in 4 years on Saturday. I remember some of the trails I liked (well I liked them all actually), but can't really remember any sort of loop to ride them in so I am looking for recommendations. Also a recommendation for a beginner friendly loop for my bro in law who is coming too. We are staying near the fire hal/community hall.

Go to the bikeshop near the Co-Op/Ringside Market, ask at the shop and buy a trail map which proceeds helps fund the trails.

June 27, 2014, 6:33 a.m.

I still have the one I bought last time, thanks.

June 29, 2014, 9:12 a.m.

I still have the one I bought last time, thanks.

Ride up cold deck to slalom just descend the Way.
Back up Colts foots to , Northwind passage climb up Furry Freak, Four Dead aliens, and to descend test tube to no horses.
Back up one more time to Outer ridge left to gft to Beaver Slide.

Hit Yer Mom for sweet stunts.
Mr Toads is good either way so you can do the top of the Way and drop down Hot Rims.

My favorites are test tube No horses, and Outer Ridge.
There are loamers aplenty too, just keep your eyes peeled
December was awesome last year

July 2, 2014, 4:36 p.m.

I am looking for recommendations.

here's my favorite loop on mt geofrey from a few years ago (there are new trails, so its been modified since - go buy a new map you cheapskate ;)) basically a singletrack climb + "the way": start at the parking lot near the cemetery. up the right hand trail, left on colt's foot, keep right at the beula creek sign then hard right onto spasm chasm. climb spasm past milo's meadows, and take the left fork near the top (easy to miss, if you miss it no worries but the left fork is more climbable). left at the end of spasm chasm (don't know the name of this trail, yeoman's?) and right at the fire road. first left, then take the singletrack on your left (ozmosis), left on to hotrims, ride up to the intersection with the cliff trail then ride or push up the cliff trail (turn right) or descend a bit and ride up slalom (turn left). cliff trail past the look out, left on to devil's kitchen (gets steep), keep left at the weird junction (across the little valley) and then up purgatory, starts to pick up speed on the downhill (try the rock launch, you can roll it if you chicken out last minute) past the fsr on to bitchin camaro (steep with a few drops), right on to slick rock and then just near the bottom of the trail (before you end up on the nasty section of colt's foot) hard left on to a wide trail with a couple of awesome bermed corners.