Hawaii

March 24, 2009, 1:03 p.m.

I am going to Hawaii in May for two weeks and I was wondering if anybody knows where to go riding? Is there a guide book out which is good? I was wondering if I should bring my bike or if I could rent a bike there?

I am going to this four islands:

oahu, kauai,mauai, big island

thanks

:germany: http://oppelshausen.de

March 24, 2009, 1:20 p.m.

Rent.

Also four islands in 2 weeks is a big bite to chew. You'll be moving around the whole time and won't fully enjoy any one island.

I'm glad I didn't bike while I was there. I'm not gonna go from the best bike spot in the world to the best surf spot and ride my bike. My recommendation would be to enjoy Hawaii for what it is and maybe rent a bike for one day to get your fix (if you need it that bad).

-m

March 24, 2009, 1:25 p.m.

not that I've ever been, but I agree with Matt. Go to Hawaii for Hawaii.

March 24, 2009, 1:34 p.m.

Another thing to note is a lot of the land there are national parks and are off limits to bikes. And people will shoot you, not kindly ask you to get out of there, or slam you on the internet!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

April 6, 2009, 12:12 p.m.

I did ride Maui a few years back. Was a fun day, and there is an enthusiastic if small following on the Island (a fellow named "Paw" runs a small rental business, hooked me up w/ a Kona). Did the trails of Haleakala (SP?), from crater right down. About 2 hours worth.

I always have fun riding, but it wasn't the shore. No full DH or armor required…for the stuff we rode, anyhow. Flowy, fun singletrack.

I'd agree w/ the others- go for the surfing.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

April 6, 2009, 12:46 p.m.

I went to Oahu in '02 to get hitched with the ol' lady. We did the tourist thing on that island for a week. We also brought our xc bikes and did a little bit of sight seeing and trail riding. Then hoofed it over to the big island for another week. We rode almost every day exploring places like Kiluea and Kona and such and it was a blast. We stayed in Hilo for a few days, found some trail, chased wild boars…that kinda stuff. Gotta say, I liked that island the most.

Then a year later we went back to Maui without bikes. Not as much fun but it also seemed like there wasn't really much riding there. Took the ferry over to Lanai(?) and explored around. That was a nice island for sure.

We're not big into water sports, so bringing bikes made sense for us. But I could definitely see just going there and renting bikes if you don't really plan on exploring off road and instead just touring around.

April 25, 2009, 7:39 a.m.

4 islands in 2 weeks? We did just the big Island in 2 weeks and that barely covered it.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.