Fraser Valley official blog

May 25, 2010, 9:01 p.m.

It does indeed.

Just goes to show the importance of supporting your local trail advocacy group who is working to build legal trails that will be around for years to come.

May 25, 2010, 9:12 p.m.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/missioncityrecord/news/93715269.html

May 25, 2010, 9:17 p.m.

Air 1 to the rescue!!

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 26, 2010, 9 a.m.

One glance at a compass and she would have been back on track. I haven't noticed any official signage up there.
Posted via Mobile Device

d

www.fvmba.com

May 26, 2010, 10:31 a.m.

Now bikers are at fault for getting folks lost. and with children, this can't be good.
It gives the city more reasons to deal with bikers. But I'm suspicious

"The problem, says Bob O[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;Neal, the district[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s forestry manager, is there are a lot of unauthorized trails on the mountain too.
[HTML_REMOVED]#8220;It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s a problem all over the Fraser Valley,[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; he noted.
Mountain bikers build their own trails, and sometimes they[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re not built to standards."

My question is who sets these standards? some one at a desk who has never seen mountain bike trails?

May 26, 2010, 1:06 p.m.

If you're following a map, and the map seems wrong, it's obvious the best course of action is to just continue on and hope for the best. Especially with a 2 year old tagging along.

May 26, 2010, 1:53 p.m.

Exactly, the fact she went for a hike solo with a 2 year old to somewhere she'd never been astounds me.

Cougars? Bears? They only exist in movies I guess…

May 26, 2010, 3:33 p.m.

Exactly, the fact she went for a hike solo with a 2 year old to somewhere she'd never been astounds me.

Cougars? Bears? They only exist in movies I guess…

+1 totally. With a 2 year old? Thats just asking for trouble in itself.

I have a 2 year old and she is a handful.:crazy:

May 26, 2010, 6:06 p.m.

I don't know Bob O'Neal from a hole in the ground but those comments are pretty inflammatory, esp when there are people out there looking to work with the district to improve access. Not to mention the fact that I could point out a bunch of shitty trails in Mission that the district has approved that are nowhere close to the quality of most of the bike trails on Red. And from the sounds of it, the hiker got lost because she was poorly prepared and not familiar with the maze of illegally built biking AND hiking trails.

Also, the illegal trails that are a 'problem' all over the Fraser Valley are only a problem if the bureaucrats see them as such. Progressive and forward looking city planners could view the trails as an asset for the community that bring in tourist dollars and provide recreational opportunities for locals and then work proactively with stakeholders to come up with a system that's tenable over the long term instead of sending thinly veiled barbs through letters and the media.

Is there not a BC Cup downhill event that's held on an illegally built trail up there? What about the Bear Mtn XC race?

"It's, like, so much fun."

May 26, 2010, 6:29 p.m.

Everyone cool your jets.

We're in discussions with the powers that be. The response so far looks promising and all will be well.

/end subject/

May 26, 2010, 6:37 p.m.

Everyone cool your jets.

We're in discussions with the powers that be. The response so far looks promising and all will be well.

/end subject/

+1 for you.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

May 26, 2010, 6:47 p.m.

Then O'Neal should stop making retarded comments in the paper. A smarter response would have included something like "but we're working with local user groups to implement better signage, etc etc".

May 26, 2010, 6:58 p.m.

At least no one has blamed me yet

May 26, 2010, 7 p.m.

Then O'Neal should stop making retarded comments in the paper. A smarter response would have included something like "but we're working with local user groups to implement better signage, etc etc".

That was all part of my emails to them. We will see how things progress.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

May 26, 2010, 7:05 p.m.

That was all part of my emails to them. We will see how things progress.

Slowly, I bet.

Btw, it was Kim's fault.