First time trip to BC to ride - where should we go?

Jan. 23, 2022, 11:15 a.m.

Hi All, 

I’m planning a trip to BC this summer. I’m hoping for recommendations on where to ride. Since this will be my first time riding in BC, what the essential or best places to post up for a couple days? Sunshine Coast? Whistler? ??

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Jan. 24, 2022, 11:10 a.m.

That's a pretty hard question to answer as there are so many good places to ride in BC. Where are you visiting from and what kind of riding are you looking for?

Just here in the Sea 2 Sky corridor (North Van, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton) there are probably more trails than you could ride in a year. If this is your first time in BC, Whistler is a good place to start since there is a lot of variety and it has all the amenities. Maybe add some day trips to Squamish, Pemberton, the Shore, and/or the Sunshine Coast.

Some other random suggestions:

Cumberland on Vancouver Island has a huge trail network and a great vibe.

Revelstoke in the Kootenays has some cool alpine epics.

I also like riding in the Okanagan region because it's so different from the coast. Rolling grassland with fast flowy trails, always reminds me a bit of riding in California.

Jan. 24, 2022, 5:38 p.m.

If you really only have 2 days and want to maximize your riding then Whistler for sure. One day in the bike park and one day for some valley trails. I'd suggest doing the bike park on the second day because if you overdo it and tire yourself out with a lot of climbing there won't be any riding on the second day.

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 24, 2022, 9:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
Jan. 24, 2022, 7:55 p.m.

I would look at Revelstoke.. I think the trails are better overall and easier access non bike park. Can't beat WBP for flow/jump trails though. Whistler is also a gong show of people everywhere.  For the Shore, unless you really know where to go, the sanctioned trails aren't very good imo.  Pick your poison.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Jan. 24, 2022, 7:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 24, 2022, 8:07 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

If you really only have 2 days and want to maximize your riding the Whistler for sure. One day in the bike park and one day for some valley trails. I'd suggest doing the bike park on the second day because if you overdo it and tired yourself out there won't be any riding on the second day.

This is pretty sound advice, but I would take it a step further and say that if you ride the bike park on day one you WILL overdo it and be so tired there won't be a day two - unless you regularly ride park or otherwise get lots of vert where you live.  Or maybe you work on a road crew and use a jackhammer all day long?  In which case a day in the bike park won't seem like a big deal at all.

Jan. 24, 2022, 8:49 p.m.

11,387 trails in “BC” according to www.trailforks.com

Your budget, central destination and timeline would help narrow things down.  Most bang for your buck (actually bucks for your bang) would be a local tour guide.

Jan. 24, 2022, 9:12 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

This is pretty sound advice, but I would take it a step further and say that if you ride the bike park on day one you WILL overdo it and be so tired there won't be a day two - unless you regularly ride park or otherwise get lots of vert where you live.  Or maybe you work on a road crew and use a jackhammer all day long?  In which case a day in the bike park won't seem like a big deal at all.

Yeah good point, it could go either way. My thinking is that with riding the lift on the second day you can still get some easy laps if you are kind of tired.

Jan. 25, 2022, 3:23 a.m.

Thanks all! We’ll have the better part of week (maybe 5 days), and definitely realize there’s more than we could ever hope to ride! Coming from New England but spent a number of years in southern UT. Trail preference would be flowy over technical/gravity oriented. More inclined to see cool trails and explore than just hit the *best* trails, if that makes sense. 

A couple days in Whistler and a couple days on Vancouver island or Sunshine Coast? 

And yes, I will be totally wiped after a day in the Whistler bike park!

Jan. 25, 2022, 8:42 a.m.

Posted by: Rlwilliams12

Thanks all! We’ll have the better part of week (maybe 5 days), and definitely realize there’s more than we could ever hope to ride! Coming from New England but spent a number of years in southern UT. Trail preference would be flowy over technical/gravity oriented. More inclined to see cool trails and explore than just hit the *best* trails, if that makes sense. 

A couple days in Whistler and a couple days on Vancouver island or Sunshine Coast? 

And yes, I will be totally wiped after a day in the Whistler bike park!

Flowy... Cumberland is a great place for that, plus the new climbing trail is super easy.... Cool little town all chill. Whistler on the other hand is def the show but pretty nuts, especially on a weekend.

Question is, when in summer are you coming?

Jan. 27, 2022, 12:33 a.m.

Only 5 days just go to whistler and squamish

Jan. 29, 2022, 6:55 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Yeah good point, it could go either way. My thinking is that with riding the lift on the second day you can still get some easy laps if you are kind of tired.

For sure.  Bike park on day two makes sense for a lot of reasons.

Jan. 31, 2022, 8:01 a.m.

My two cents, Sunshine Coast. Lots of flow and you also have the Coast Gravity Bike Park for your shuttle pleasure. The vibe there is cool and away from the crowds of Whistler.

Feb. 3, 2022, 2:31 a.m.

Soo jealous of you, Rlwilliams12 .... that is all.

March 24, 2022, 12:52 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

My two cents, Sunshine Coast. Lots of flow and you also have the Coast Gravity Bike Park for your shuttle pleasure. The vibe there is cool and away from the crowds of Whistler.

It's a good suggestion, but for a 5 day trip where you're already ending up in the Sea-to-Sky, SSC would add a half-day of ferry lineup/travel.

March 24, 2022, 7:17 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: FLATCH

It's a good suggestion, but for a 5 day trip where you're already ending up in the Sea-to-Sky, SSC would add a half-day of ferry lineup/travel.

I would likely spend a couple nights on the coast but I’m partial, home town and all.