Finally rode Moab

May 6, 2016, 9:36 a.m.

Was down in Moab for a week of riding, I was totally blown away by the scenery.
The trails were way more techy than I ever imagined. The weather was cool and a bit rainy which was fine because when the sun was out its hot as hell on the trails. Three riders, no mechanicals, no injuries. Falling there on the trails is not an option, would result in something mangled for sure.

Day 1- Slick Rock
Day 2- Hymasa, Rock Stacker, Ahab
Day 3- Porcupine Ridge
Day 4- Getaway, Bull Run Loop
Day 5- Lower Ahab ( Rest Day ).
Day 6- Mag 7 route- Getaway, Bull Run, Great Escape, Gold bar Rim, Portal. This was by far the best ride although the Portal Trail is super sketchy, sections where you have to walk your bike. Next time will finish with Poison Spider.

We didn't get to do the Whole Enchilada trail due to the weather was cold and it was snowing up there. Which isn't uncommon this time of year.

Instead of doing two solid days in the car on the way home we did a 14 hour haul to Bend Oregon. Did a day of riding there and then only 8 hours home. Ahh the brew pubs of Bend….

BTW there is no decent beer or brew pubs in Moab. Colorado should annex Moab then it would be perfect.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 6, 2016, 11:24 a.m.

Nice, hoping to get down there maybe next year to ride. How would you compare the difficulty of the trails to North Shore/Sea to Sky? I'm a single black diamond guy, some of the POV of stuff like Portal looks a bit intimidating mostly because of exposure/no fall zones.

May 6, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

Nice, hoping to get down there maybe next year to ride. How would you compare the difficulty of the trails to North Shore/Sea to Sky? I'm a single black diamond guy, some of the POV of stuff like Portal looks a bit intimidating mostly because of exposure/no fall zones.

It's about the same difficulty rating as here IMO. Riding the dh section of Ahab would be the same as riding executioner here. Rolls small drops, techy sections etc.
Everyone has their own comfort level. I was not comfortable on the Portal trail traverse and one small section on Ahab. Besides that it was all great. As I said there is no soft landings there, it's all stone. So going down would not be favorable.
It's like riding in bedrock city with the Flintstones.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch