Fernie - trail recommendations

July 10, 2018, 11:03 p.m.

I’m spending about a week in Fernie starting this weekend. What are some trails I need to ride when I’m there?

July 11, 2018, 7:37 a.m.

Diggler/Almatador are unreal if you have a shuttle and like really steep stuff, Big Money super awesome but a really stiff climb to get too, we also did lazy lizard to project 9, then Slunt and Brokeback, super awesome stuff!

July 11, 2018, 9:49 a.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

Diggler/Almatador are unreal if you have a shuttle and like really steep stuff, Big Money super awesome but a really stiff climb to get too, we also did lazy lizard to project 9, then Slunt and Brokeback, super awesome stuff!

Awesome, thanks!

Last edited by: D_C_ on July 11, 2018, 9:50 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 30, 2019, 2:05 p.m.

Thread resurrection:  DC what did you end up riding? I might have a day in Fernie (in Cranbrook for a week with family) and trying to plan out a loop or two. Was debating if the bike park is worth it as I've heard there's more dirt/less rock there than Whistler. Bike is all mtn 65.5HTA 160/160mm with DoubleDown tires so reasonably capable.

Will be riding solo so no shuttle or gnar like Dirt Diggler/Mustard Tiger etc. Keep hearing Project 9 is a must ride?

Aug. 1, 2019, 9:35 a.m.

Oh man, Fernie is awesome. I was back there again earlier this summer. The general flavour is steep, fast dirt. Not a lot of technical gnar or jank, but a nice change from the shore. Your Jeffsy should be good for anything you come across.

A good longer pedal is to park at the Provincial Park and ride Verboten, P9 and Slunt/Brokeback. Slunt/Brokeback is the best of those 3, followed by P9. Verboten's great too but cut that one out if you want to shorten.

I also loved Big Money, but I've heard the end is bit of a mess right now due to logging, so I'd do a bit of research on that.

Hyperventilation to Hyperextension is a good pedal loop, about 5-600 m elevation with singletrack climbing and nice views. There's also a new one above that called Today's Special that I've heard is good.

Three Kings/48 Hours is rad but more shuttle territory.

Have fun! Let me know what you ride.

Aug. 1, 2019, 11:49 a.m.

Sweet dude, appreciate all those recommendations! I'm in Cranbrook for a week or so, hoping to get a couple Kimberley rides and maybe two trips over to Fernie so I'll let you know how she goes. Stoked to ride somewhere new.

Aug. 21, 2019, 11:06 a.m.

Didn't end up making it to Fernie, next summer for sure. Did ride Kimberley and highly recommend people check out Bootleg Mountain if in the area, awesome quality trail building especially Snow Mexican.