Cumberland - this weekend (Help!)

July 12, 2013, 7:34 a.m.

I've got a trip to Cumberland organized for this weekend and my route finder has had to bail. I'm gonna head for the LBS and get the maps of course but I don't know which are the best trails to hit.

So I'm looking for some advice. We'll do one day around Cumberland, a day on Forbidden and then another day in Cumberland

From a Pinkbike article a couple of years ago, these trails were suggested:

Cumberland Route

"Our first day took us 22km on the Cumberland network riding trails including - 2 and a Juice -[HTML_REMOVED] Buggered Pig -[HTML_REMOVED] Over Skyes Bridge -[HTML_REMOVED]42nd Street -[HTML_REMOVED] Steam Donkey -[HTML_REMOVED] Short Line -[HTML_REMOVED] up the Trent River Main to Blue Collar -[HTML_REMOVED] Back up TRM -[HTML_REMOVED] Thirsty Beaver -[HTML_REMOVED] Tea Pot -[HTML_REMOVED] Railroad -[HTML_REMOVED] Crafty Butcher -[HTML_REMOVED] Black Hole Space Nugget."

Forbidden Plateau

"The ride to Forbidden Plateau had us start with a warm up on the BC Hydro trails along the Puntledge River. Great trails for beginners and for those XC minded riders to RIP.

The route today was ~32km and included the trails -[HTML_REMOVED] Bevan -[HTML_REMOVED] Bear Bait -[HTML_REMOVED] Forbidden Plateau road -[HTML_REMOVED] Two Sheiks and a Dog -[HTML_REMOVED] Cabin Fever -[HTML_REMOVED] Slither -[HTML_REMOVED] Transmission -[HTML_REMOVED] Cat Nip -[HTML_REMOVED] back along the Bevan trail -[HTML_REMOVED] dip in the river -[HTML_REMOVED] back to the van!"

Are these the go-to trails? If not, what are we missing? Target is 5hrs riding plus a bit of swimming a day….
We'll be on a AM bikes so I'm not looking for full-on DH stuff (if any exists?)

Thanks

July 12, 2013, 7:51 a.m.

you could do all three days out of cumberland/forbidden, with out much trouble, but I would suggest a day in campbel river as well. short drive but well worth it. the locals love hornby island for good reason, if you want fast flow, the go for it, but if you have access to interior trails / riding on a regular basis, then you can pass on hornby.

also the trails are not super well marked, and unless the new map has come out, logging has changed a few things, so give you self a bit of extra time for route finding.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

July 12, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

Hey,

There is an new trail map for Cumberland. It can be bought for a small fee at Dodge City Cycles. Pretty sure it's online as well. The guys at DCC can help you with the riding trails you want. 10 kms up to the top of Switchback for 1.5 hours of down.

Maybe plan a bit of Snowden Demonstration Forest instead of Forbidden Plateau just in case. Riding wants and needs may put Snowden in Campbell River in your sights instead of Forbidden.

Do not forget Dumont Trails in Naniamo as well. Fantastic stuff much like Cumberland and Snowden.

http://cvmtb.com/index.php/trails-maps/comox-valley-trails/ has a lot of maps and
areas on it.

If you want a route in Snowden I can offer one.

Hey, welcome to the Island, enjoy.

July 12, 2013, 12:09 p.m.

Chris Hancock at DCC will give you the best loop options based on your riding style, and the current conditions. It's all running dry now, but it's worth asking. As well, of course get a map, as there are some nice current options not mentioned in that article.

To add to the routes you mentioned…add Potluck which goes into Thirsty Beaver. At the bottom climb back up for Bear Buns, cross the bridge into Teapot. Or Bucket of Blood, then cross over to Teapot, then continue on to Railroad. It's all fun!

July 12, 2013, 1:24 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions
Whereabouts is Snowden and which shop would have maps/info for that area?

July 12, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

If you're interested, Martin @ Island Mountain Rides might be a great way to get lead around the local trail networks. http://islandmountainrides.com/

DCC has the most recent update to the map including green/blue/black for the Cumberland trail network. They can also go over what trails might work well with the bikes you're bringing.

Snowden trails are also on my cvmtb.com site

http://cvmtb.com/index.php/trails-maps/maps/snowden-demonstration-forest/

Enjoy - I'd come show you around but I think we're just gonna hang near the water…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 12, 2013, 2:51 p.m.

I'll be dropping into Dodge for sure…

July 12, 2013, 3:30 p.m.

I'd like to knock off a Forbidden Lap on Saturday. Holler if you need a shuttle buddy

viperfunk.com

July 12, 2013, 4:36 p.m.

If you're going to Snowden let me know and I can hook you up with some ride suggestions as well. It's an amazing place to ride and really shouldn't be left off of any list if you're going to be up island. I'd also offer to show you around but the wife is working this weekend, meaning my ride will likely involve towing a toddler.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.