Chilcotins - Spruce Lake

May 31, 2014, 5:12 p.m.

Snow levels are super low this year. Everything around gun lake is melted out (1000m elevation) and from the looks of it much higher too. Actually inside word is the Hurley might get plowed this week in which case I'll be driving it. I'll report back Friday if it's open.

Bump. Any word on this?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 31, 2014, 7:46 p.m.

Yeah sorry, still haven't heard if it's open so it doesn't sound like it. We drove the highline road out to switch it up though which was pretty cool. That way is a half hour shorter than the duffey and is in decent shape the the road is pretty narrow/steep in sections and I wouldn't recommend it in anything other than a truck.

June 1, 2014, 8:38 a.m.

after a few years of living in pemberton and working in the bridge river my experience is this. I drive the hurley slow because I am tired of spending money on my truck and despite what people want it to be or think it should be the the hurley is and un-maintained logging road for the most part. it takes me 2.5 hours to get from pemberton to tyaughton lake. when I take the duffy/route 40 it takes 3.5 to 4 hours with minimal beating on my truck. the high line is a nice drive, but you really dont gain much over the duffy/route 40 in time vs truck beating.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

June 9, 2014, 8:23 p.m.

The Hurley is open as of today (June 9)! The grader made it to the summit from the Goldbridge end: http://isurvivedthehurley.com/

June 10, 2014, 1:40 p.m.

wow it looks pretty buff, are they dumbing down the hurley????

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 14, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

Any suggestions on how to do an unsupported trip, probably mostly from around Spruce, without having to do the hardcore-carry all food and camping gear in? I've done the guided, horse-pack trip, a few years ago, which was fantastic, but there's just 2 of us right now, so it doesn't really pay to fly gear into Spruce. OR, how long is the ride into Spruce, if we were to carry gear in. I just remember riding out, which was pretty sweet. Ideas for a 4-5 day trip? We'd be looking at a few good big days.

June 16, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

Any suggestions on how to do an unsupported trip, probably mostly from around Spruce, without having to do the hardcore-carry all food and camping gear in? I've done the guided, horse-pack trip, a few years ago, which was fantastic, but there's just 2 of us right now, so it doesn't really pay to fly gear into Spruce. OR, how long is the ride into Spruce, if we were to carry gear in. I just remember riding out, which was pretty sweet. Ideas for a 4-5 day trip? We'd be looking at a few good big days.

If you don't want to carry camping gear [HTML_REMOVED] food, Tyax Adventures offers the "Backcountry Camps" option which gives you cabin/tents to stay in and food included. You are on your own for traveling between the locations.

http://www.tyaxadventures.com/accommodations/backcountry-camps/

If you are carrying your camping gear [HTML_REMOVED] food into Spruce, plan on a day from Jewel Bridge, there are lots of trip reports of people who have done that. (I never have.)

For loops, check LeeL's site.

June 16, 2014, 10:51 a.m.

wow it looks pretty buff, are they dumbing down the hurley????

No. As of this past weekend (Jun 14/15), the top section is good driving but the rest is still really bumpy. The Pemberton side to the Squamish Forest District sign (close to Tenquille Lake turn off) has not been graded and the Goldbridge end is wash-boarded.

June 20, 2014, 9:42 a.m.

If you don't want to carry camping gear [HTML_REMOVED] food, Tyax Adventures offers the "Backcountry Camps" option which gives you cabin/tents to stay in and food included. You are on your own for traveling between the locations.

http://www.tyaxadventures.com/accommodations/backcountry-camps/

If you are carrying your camping gear [HTML_REMOVED] food into Spruce, plan on a day from Jewel Bridge, there are lots of trip reports of people who have done that. (I never have.)

For loops, check LeeL's site.

thanks, CraigH! we're still deciding whether to go cheap and carry in, or deluxe with the backcountry camps; starting to think the latter would be a great way to go…!

June 24, 2014, 11:42 a.m.

does tyax (or anyone else) do gear drops for people who are riding in?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 24, 2014, 12:39 p.m.

Yes, call their number and discuss you're requirements…

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk

June 24, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

does tyax (or anyone else) do gear drops for people who are riding in?

I just asked them about that, here's what they said:

For gear drops, we always require the plane to be chartered - we wouldn't have room going in with another group (usually a pretty full plane load going in) and while there is sometimes a possibility of a back-haul on the way out (taking the gear back after we've dropped off a group) we can't guarantee that, so require the plane to be chartered for the pick-up, as well. If it turns out we are able to pick up the gear on a back-haul, we will refund a portion of your pick-up charter fee, but that is never a guarantee.

So unless you have a big group, it doesn't seem worth it… we've pretty much decided to carry gear into Spruce (seems to take about 3-4 hours according to previous trip posts). And do loops from there. We're planning on the first week of Aug, if you were interested in sharing a flight.

June 24, 2014, 1:14 p.m.

hah, i just emailed them and got pretty much the same reply

we've pretty much decided to carry gear into Spruce (seems to take about 3-4 hours according to previous trip posts). And do loops from there.

i think that's where we're at, too. heading out this weekend :)

June 25, 2014, 5:17 p.m.

hah, i just emailed them and got pretty much the same reply

i think that's where we're at, too. heading out this weekend :)

love to hear your trip report; we're thinking the first week of August.

June 27, 2014, 2:19 p.m.

yes trip report please! we are doing a guided day trip to Spruce w Tyax cause we aren't familiar with the area. would be interested in hearing about how hard/easy it is to be self-guided in that area.

thx