Chilcotins - Spruce Lake

Sept. 11, 2014, 8:12 a.m.

well for one its interesting because a reason given that dogs shouldn't be in the park is "in consideration of wildlife"; what could be less considerate of something than shooting at it?

ahem

haha chatted with some horse packers when i there in the spring - they were saying that everyone should be thanking the mtb'ers for the trails! its all love

yeah, i had a closer look at the new maps and boundaries last night. i think the loops we're planning all at least cut through the park. still tempted to bring the hound

my only hesitation on bringing a dog is how it will react with a grizzly although the marmots probably wont be a big fan.

although not an alpine ride lone valley is a pretty sweet 15k ribbon of singletrack that would be fun on any two wheeled machine.

Sept. 11, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

I used to guide trips in the Yukon, Alaska, and N.W.T.
My boss had a mix border collie (Mt Curry Special).

That dog was incredibly well trained. It would let out a low growl when ever it smelled a bear. Awesome feature, as we were guiding tourist, and it allowed us to "look" for the bear.

On hikes, the dog was always focused on the owner, and would never do anything that would interfere with wildlife. The owner, would also always pack out the dog's feces.

Our bigger problem, was always guests who would assume that left to their own devices, they could sneak up on a bear to get their National Geographic Photo of one.

So…

As always, depends on the dog and owner. A lot of people love their dogs, but don't recognize that their dog is not trained to hang out in sensitive/remote wilderness areas. If it is, no worries, bring it along.

Sept. 11, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

As always, depends on the dog and owner. A lot of people love their dogs, but don't recognize that their dog is not trained to hang out in sensitive/remote wilderness areas. If it is, no worries, bring it along.

Trouble is like with kids people don't seem to be able to make a realistic assessment of their dogs.

I know handful of well trained trail dogs. If I talk to my dog owning friends most of them will say their dog is a good trail dog.

Sept. 11, 2014, 4:14 p.m.

my only hesitation on bringing a dog is how it will react with a grizzly although the marmots probably wont be a big fan.

my dog has virtually no interest in inanimate objects or other animals. he likes people but when we're riding he's something of a duolipsist; only the two of us are known to exist

That dog was incredibly well trained… On hikes, the dog was always focused on the owner, and would never do anything that would interfere with wildlife.

yeah, that sounds like my dog to a t

Trouble is like with kids people don't seem to be able to make a realistic assessment of their dogs.

i don't think my dog is particularly well trained. everyone who's ever met him strongly disagrees ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 11, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

My experience with a dog [HTML_REMOVED] bear encounter:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2824456[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=34

XXXer mentioning dogs brings up a good point.

Years ago I was riding the KVR and another group on the trail at the same time had a small dog with them. The dog spotted the bear a little way off the trail and went off in pursuit of the bear. The bear got pissed off at the dog charging and barking at it, so the bear went after the dog. The dog got scared and ran back towards the owner, now with the bear in pursuit.

Not the situation you want to be in.

If you have a city dog, maybe leave it at home when you are heading into heavy bear territory.

If your dog is smart enough to avoid going after bears, you can ignore this.

The dog owner was in another group, we just happened to ride through when all this went down.

Sept. 12, 2014, 4:10 p.m.

InaCycle's blog post on our bikepacking trip from about a month ago is up:

Reaping the Rewards
http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2014/09/reaping-rewards.html