Burnaby mountain loop?

July 9, 2011, 2:24 p.m.

Was going to take my lady friend riding on Burnaby mountain today. Shes brand new to MTBing so we're looking for something pretty easy. Dont want to scare her off. Just looking at the trail map, was thinking of doing:

down cardiac hill-[HTML_REMOVED]trans can trail-[HTML_REMOVED]Mels-[HTML_REMOVED] then up Poplar?

then depending on how shes feeling maybe down gear jammer to mels and up poplar again?

Like i said, just going off maps, so this could be totally idiotic. just curious to see if anyone had any feedback? Im just trying to make this as fun and not super labour intensive, nor scary.

Cheers :beer:
-adam

July 9, 2011, 2:57 p.m.

I'd suggest parking on north road and ride the north road trail heading north-[HTML_REMOVED]dead moped to power lines. If that goes well go up to mel's and ride it south to gear jammer or nicole's. If north road and dead moped are as challenging as she wants you can ride these south to do Jim's jungle then climb the powerline back to parked vehicle. Or if you're looking for something quick you could start at the bike park on Barnet highway and do some stuff in there then ride hang your hat out and back, it's pretty easy for the most part with a couple short climbs.

July 9, 2011, 3:25 p.m.

Hrmm.. ok. I think I could piece that together. How well are things marked there? and is the climbing reasonable? I dont want to put her thru a suffer-fest nor do i want to get her/us lost.

July 9, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

north road trail from the parking area on north road and moped are quite easy with little elevation change, north road trail south of parking area quite a bit steeper and better as a downhill heading south then loop thru jim's jungle to go back up. Trans canada trail and cardiac are double track and above mel's get pretty steep. Trails are very well marked and there's usually tonnes of people on the trails.

July 9, 2011, 10:05 p.m.

If she's new, park your vehicle at North Road/Chapman, ride up the powerlines, then down North Rd. If that goes well take her up Trans Canada, up Cardiac, down Upper Gear Jammer to Mels, then left on Mel's back to Trans Canada. Finish with Dead Moped and North Road back to the car.

My GF just started riding last season and this is the exact loops we did. She is now much improved and can hit Lower Gearjammer/Uppercut/Lower Snake as well as Nicole's, but I'm glad I didn't start her on those trails.